HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:30 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
I forgot to ask this before, but does DOSD have a heading hold mode, or some other hands-free mode that will level the plane while I use pan/tilt controls to look around?
You can enable stabilization hold (either GPS stab, or IMU stab if you have an IMU attached). You can have the stabilization either always on, on only when you turn it on, or on a slider/knob and can adjust how much/little stab gain you want while in flight.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Yes, for AHI you need to connect and IMU. The DOSD, GPS, and Current Sensor will provide all the autopilot/waypoint/RTH/stabilization capabilities you'd likely need. The IMU would provide more stabilization refinement plus the AHI. The recommended is the FY-30 with DragonOSD Xlator board...while you're at it, I'd recommend adding a barometric sensor for better altitude readings. All these can be found at ReadyMadeRC. FY-30 ~$99, Xlator ~$20, Baro ~$20. NONE of these items are REQUIRED for AP/RTH/Waypoint. Consider them additional options to enhance your DOSD experience.
Thanks for that info Vantasstic. While we're at it, I' like to get your advice on something. I'm considering buying a GPS tracker like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-GSM-GPRS...item53ee988bfc

It basically sends you GPS coordinates if your plane goes down through txt message. I want to know if it would cause any sort of interference with my DL or GPS or any other component?
THOMASJONES is offline Find More Posts by THOMASJONES
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:17 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJONES View Post
Thanks for that info Vantasstic. While we're at it, I' like to get your advice on something. I'm considering buying a GPS tracker like this one:

It basically sends you GPS coordinates if your plane goes down through txt message. I want to know if it would cause any sort of interference with my DL or GPS or any other component?
I can't answer on the tracker question. If it's transmitting a signal then the possibility exists that it can cause issues. I just use a recorder on my ground station to record GPS info. Of course, if you loose video from the plane then the recording won't be of much use.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:51 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJONES View Post

Check out the beacon from FMKit. It doesn't require a gps signal or a cell signal, or a sim card. It is super small and light, and can transmit for weeks. You just need a cheap walkie talkie to track it. It uses a timer or VOX so it doesn't transmit during flight. $50.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:04 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Check out the beacon from FMKit. It doesn't require a gps signal or a cell signal, or a sim card. It is super small and light, and can transmit for weeks. You just need a cheap walkie talkie to track it. It uses a timer or VOX so it doesn't transmit during flight. $50.
Link???
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:38 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,094 Posts
http://www.fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1274173
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:58 AM
Fus ro dah!
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,471 Posts
Quote:
I went back and did a step for step connection with my FY30 and FTDI. Wow....follow the instructions and it really does work!!! I had connected my FY30 to early on my previous attempts. I was able to connect and check the firmware version now. I've got V1.16...the latest available, so won't worry about trying to reload with different (older) firmware. Chris is helping me out with this so I should be up and running in the near future. Thanks for the help guys!!!
Glad it worked for you. I did the same thing recently - couldn't get it to connect then followed the instructions exactly and bam.

Thanks also for turning me onto the Xlator board. I'd been using the DOSD to control rudder and FY30a on the ailerons. Is there a post that explains the benefits of using the Xlator?
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:31 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
Glad it worked for you. I did the same thing recently - couldn't get it to connect then followed the instructions exactly and bam.

Thanks also for turning me onto the Xlator board. I'd been using the DOSD to control rudder and FY30a on the ailerons. Is there a post that explains the benefits of using the Xlator?
One benefit is you get an artificial horizon
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:38 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Aug 2009
42 Posts
I've noticed the GPS co-ordinates on the OSD seem to disappear and reappear throughout my flights. Altitude, distance, speed, etc appear to continue updating though so I don't think the GPS is losing sat lock.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
rotormonkey is offline Find More Posts by rotormonkey
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:13 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotormonkey View Post
I've noticed the GPS co-ordinates on the OSD seem to disappear and reappear throughout my flights. Altitude, distance, speed, etc appear to continue updating though so I don't think the GPS is losing sat lock.

Adjust your...oh crude, I forget now....something ratio (alt ratio?). The lower the number the sooner the GPS display disappears. The higher the number the longer the coords show. It has to do with distance vs altitude ratio. This is normal, not a display problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:14 PM
Fus ro dah!
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
One benefit is you get an artificial horizon
No kidding!? I guess I'll have to go back and read up! Thats pretty cool.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:27 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,670 Posts
Oh man - I had no time to fly this weekend :-( really sad!
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:59 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
472 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Adjust your...oh crude, I forget now....something ratio (alt ratio?). The lower the number the sooner the GPS display disappears. The higher the number the longer the coords show. It has to do with distance vs altitude ratio. This is normal, not a display problem.
yep, I think thats the one Lee, I set mine to about 10 I think (default 0.7??) and I see co-ords pretty much all the time.
Haych is offline Find More Posts by Haych
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:16 AM
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
What is throttle gain? Is that throttle step?
fixandflydan is offline Find More Posts by fixandflydan
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:18 AM
Barcelona, Spain
Joined May 2010
147 Posts
Quote:

If you're referring to "Peak values", it should go away once you start flying.
They're meant to provide information in case of failure/crash, so it is possible to record them.
flipy is offline Find More Posts by flipy