HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:51 AM
FPV Pilot
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined May 2012
9 Posts
DRAGON OSD IN SPACE !!!

This was a balloon flight using the Dragon OSD in Southeast Asia. The flight went up to 82,000 feet using a Balloon to go up and then glide back to the launch place after the balloon burst. These are pictures captured from the video. They are noisy and not the best because large thunderstorms developed in the area around the launch site during the flight, and all the water and clouds severely degraded the video signal. Thanks to the navigation and flight information provided by the Dragon OSD, we made it back home To understand what is going on, read the caption below each picture. The equipment list is as follows:

PLANE: Foam Zephyr II Modified to be much stronger. Weight 3.8 pounds

VIDEO: 2.4 GHZ 1000 mW Vertical dipole TX antenna. High Gain Dish RX antenna.

RC CONTROL: Dragon Link UHF

OSD: Dragon OSD
fpvpro is offline Find More Posts by fpvpro
Last edited by fpvpro; Sep 06, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:52 AM
FPV Pilot
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined May 2012
9 Posts
Here is the second group of pictures from this flight. There was no way home except to go through the storms. This make things much more difficult, but the Dragon OSD worked perfectly and guided us back. This also made the video very bad, but flyable. After we got out of the storms, getting home to land was easy. The last picture are the stats for the flight provided by Dragon OSD.
fpvpro is offline Find More Posts by fpvpro
Last edited by fpvpro; Sep 06, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:56 AM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
651 Posts
Didn't you already post this once a few pages back? Maybe post a video instead
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:09 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexnoobs247 View Post
Didn't you already post this once a few pages back? Maybe post a video instead
I think it was from a similar flight. This is cool stuff. I think he'd of won the Mike's 'fly above 10k' contest...
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:14 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I think it was from a similar flight. This is cool stuff. I think he'd of won the Mike's 'fly above 10k' contest...
Not only would they have won a receiver for that flight, they would have won an entire free Dragon Link system !!! Unfortunately, I had to stop that contest in the interest of public perception and fear of FPV.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:17 AM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
Its cool stuff, I agree but those are the same exact pictures from a few pages ago. Note the one on the second set that has the image distortion on the horizon. These are the exact same pics.

I'm not trying to hate on them or anything, but I'm just wondering why its being posted a second time in two days?
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:25 AM
FPV Dealer,Getting People High
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Sep 2011
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
Wait until the 29th and we can fix it on-side .. Treggon will bring his entire workshop to Dave's beach :-)
Did the event get moved ?

Ok ill wait hopefully we can get it working, I would have hated to spend all that money on a board without CS
Johnnymeg is online now Find More Posts by Johnnymeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:29 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymeg View Post
Did the event get moved ?

Ok ill wait hopefully we can get it working, I would have hated to spend all that money on a board without CS
Worst case scenario, you can always send it in to JMSTECH. If it's fixable, he'll do it for a VERY reasonable price.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Has the flyin been moved to Sept 29th?
Also, I have a cyclops CS, and indicates voltage, but current and mah indicates 0.
fixandflydan is offline Find More Posts by fixandflydan
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:10 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixandflydan View Post
Has the flyin been moved to Sept 29th?
Also, I have a cyclops CS, and indicates voltage, but current and mah indicates 0.
Using this on the DOSD? You most likely have it backwards. Your ESC is plugged in where the battery should be, and your battery is plugged in where the ESC should be.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:39 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
I finally got to test my DragonLINK+DragonOSD+HobbyKing KK Board Flying wing...

Everything is rock solid! GPS+KK stabilization made the test day seem like there was no wind! I waited for a day that had winds at 10mph gusting to 15-20mph.

I set fail safes to engage RTH+Stabilize

RTH was perfectly on track (lots of crabbing since I dont have a rudder)
No altitude change unless DOSD told it to

Next Step is to test auto level+RTH
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:41 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,366 Posts
Quote:
FY30 connection problems. Chris is helping me out with this, but thought I'd also ask here.

I've connected my Xlator/FY30 combo to my DOSD. The DOSD recognizes the IMU and puts up the AHI, but the AHI doesn't move. I connected the AHI to my Razor IMU and the AHI displays and works fine. I'm wondering if my firmware in the FY30 might need to be changed. Has anyone using the FY30/Xlator had to upload different firmware into the FY30? If so...does it use a FTDI cable or just a straight thru USB cable to the +,-,Tx, Rx pins...looks like a straight thru to me from the FY instructions.
I had something like this that was because I loaded the firmware at the wrong speed or something, the instructions were incorrect... Chris helped
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:15 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
I had something like this that was because I loaded the firmware at the wrong speed or something, the instructions were incorrect... Chris helped
Thanks Mike. I'm working with Chris on this. I owe him a drawing of my wiring setup. I did take my FY to work today to test. On the O-Scope I have signal on the FY Tx pin, but as I move it around it looks like the signal doesn't change. I'm thinking I need to load different f/w into the FY. More testing to do...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:43 PM
FPV Dealer,Getting People High
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Sep 2011
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvpro View Post
Here is the second group of pictures from this flight. There was no way home except to go through the storms. This make things much more difficult, but the Dragon OSD worked perfectly and guided us back. This also made the video very bad, but flyable. After we got out of the storms, getting home to land was easy. The last picture are the stats for the flight provided by Dragon OSD.

I would like to see some video of this and your flight log on google maps.
Johnnymeg is online now Find More Posts by Johnnymeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:07 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,355 Posts
FY30 Trials and Tribulations

Mostly for Chris, but anyone else with ideas would be great.

Pictured is how I have my DOSD, Xlator, FY30 system wired. My issue is the DOSD sees the IMU. Displays the AHI, but the AHI does not move with IMU movement.

I connected the FY30 to my PC via Hyperterminal. I can see data flow. I can see numbers changing in the data as I move the FY-30 around. I tried to upload different firmware in the FY30 via my FTDI connection...but the FY program doesn't seem to detect the connection. My FTDI Rx LED is flashing, but the Tx LED isn't doing anything. I've tried two different FTDI's with no luck on either.

When I connect the Xlator to my Razor IMU the AHI works (just not accurately like the FY is supposed to)...so I'm guessing the Xlator is working. I'm seeing data on the FY30 Tx pin to the FY30 must be working. If I connect a servo to the FY30 outputs they move with FY30 movement...so the FY30 must be working. I can't connect to the FY30 via the FY download program and instructions. So I'm stuck. What in the world am I doing wrong???
RCG Plus Member