Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
I think $80.00 US

The EZ tracker is $110.00 with lcd
The eagle eyes is $90.00 has divercity but not faultless yet
Dragon tracks $80.00 will have lots of information

To be honest I would pay $150.00, it will put the icing on the cake of an awesome on screen display.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:02 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,485 Posts
Sorry to insist and seems stupid this way, but an audio solution would be ready in less than one week, given Daniel skills, and cost zero. Who want to use it and lose audio channel, will have a choice, else wait the hardware solution. I guess it could be disabled from firmware, so anyone can use the OSD as he like.
I speak more for the others interested in audio solution for this OSD, than for me. For me is simple, I am waiting for grakam modem anyway, and will use it with remzibi or dosd as well. But others could benefit from an embeded audio solution.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:42 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Renatoa,

The problem with an audio solution is bandwidth. You will he hard-pressed to get more than 4800-baud. As such you are limited in the kind of data you can send down. With the video solution, I can send a lot more data down.

In terms of development - the DOSD+ side is already done as far as the programming is concerned. If in fact I wanted to do an audio-modem solution, I would make a stand-alone device rather than an integrated device since. There are ways to do audio-modulation properly but it isn't trivial. Secondly, I already have a working video downlink device sitting on my table which I am playing with, whereas with an audio-modem device, I don't have anything as yet.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:02 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,485 Posts
Sorry, the only reason I wrote the above was the 3 months term you specified before.
Regarding bandwidth, 4800 is enough, imo, if NMEA sentences are filtered to keep only the useful only, to deliver 1Hz update rate, good enough for a tracker or GoogleEarth.
I am developing with a fellow a telemetry hub for FrSky system, and for us 4800baud is enough to download filtered GPS coords, 4 voltages, 3 temps, 2 rpms, i2c barometer and still a lot of space for further data.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:04 AM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
615 Posts
Daniel,

I saw on the first page that DOSD+ will have(or already has) up to 20 Waypoints. It will be 3D waypoints or 2D ? You could set the longitude/latitude/altitude or only longitude/latitude (and iti will be at altitude cruise) ? In the waypoint software we can set up waypoins in Google Earth? How we could activate the waypoint sequence, with a rc swich, or from dosd+ menu ?
Please tell us more, if you have time, about waypoints utility.

In a couple of hours I will test the altitude cruise and hope to get over with it. And after that ?

This weeks I found that testing is very fun/interesting.
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:19 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Renatoa,

3-months is to get the PCB made, test, make more PCB, order parts (which may be back-ordered), send to assembly plant (or assemble myself to save costs), finalize software, program units, etc.

It's great that you are looking into developing a modem. I would suggest you look at more a more sophisticated encoding and filtering. Whilst a lot of people know enough basic theory about how a modem works to get a product out, it does require a bit more knowledge on how to make a good and robust modem. In particular you may want to look at more advanced symbol-constellation and decoding schemes such as Goertzel's and others. Note also that proper filtering will also improve performance considerably.

kempo,

It does 3D-waypoints so you can specify altitude as well. 20 is just an arbitrary limit - we can probably have 100 or 200 if needed. But this is an OSD, not a full-blown UAV controller. As for the software, I'm going to have to talk to the guy writing this (RacerX) but what he has right now looks really good and easy to use.

Daniel
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:58 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
...It's great that you are looking into developing a modem. ...Daniel
Sorry to be so vague, I don't develop any modem, we just have a serial comm over 2.4 RC line, is part of the telemetry system, and transparent for the end user.
We simply send strings at one end and receiver at the other without any care about data encapsulation, encoding and checking.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:08 AM
Fly the Discombooberator!
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
This is my idea, I hope to see heaps of others for discussion.
  1. No case - I can do that
  2. No LCD - If you crash check your recording
  3. A buzzer output would be good, add your own buzzer if you want it
  4. Switching power supply-don't want to stress anything
  5. One off adjustment with a trimmer- it's nice to have control
  6. Don't know-I have a 4 port splitter, built in would be cool too
Defo go with that
magnetman is offline Find More Posts by magnetman
Old Jun 25, 2010, 04:03 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Guys,

Here's another question - what kind of connectors do you want for the serial data? Will a regular pin-header do?

What about power? Do you like the usual power connectors? Or do you want to see something different?

Daniel
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:14 AM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Will it be ttl or USB or something else? Will it have memory to store flight data to download later. I would think solder pads that we can attach our own type of power connectors to, like on the current sensors.
Thanks
Mark
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:33 AM
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Board minus headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
Will it be ttl or USB or something else? Will it have memory to store flight data to download later. I would think solder pads that we can attach our own type of power connectors to, like on the current sensors.
Thanks
Mark
I have found that a lot of space can be saved by not using the headers, sodering wires direct. Quite neat if you use PTFE equipment wire.
So my preference would be the DOSD board supplied without the pin headers, so you could fit them selectiveley if required, for example I would use the header pins for the video and audio connections amd maybe power, all the rest can be flyleads.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:40 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
mark,

I was thinking TTL since that can be made to talk to other equipment more easily whereas USB will only talk to a laptop/PC. I didn't think memory would be important but that is easy to add. I reckon that you can already log the flight using the DOSD+ memory, or you could just use a laptop to save the data-stream. Do you see having on-board logging as important?

magnetman,

I see your point but you haven't seen the soldering done by some of the users. A lot of people out there don't have an engineering background and even those that do may not know how to solder properly. I will however consider leaving the pads unpopulated.

Daniel
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:58 AM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
The dosd+ only logs positional infomation but the downlink has a lot more info, I usually fly connected to my laptop as well as a vid cam to record so it's not high on the priority list. Might be useful for people who just fly without recording if they crashed a couple of miles away you could download the data and find your plane. Just thinking of ideas
Can you get data off a recorded video?
Mark
Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:17 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
mark,

If there is sufficient consensus, I can make the DOSD+ log more data. I just didn't know if anyone wanted that.

As for getting data off a video, I think most video recorders will not record the hidden data lines. Some may but most probably won't.

Right now there are a bunch of connectors on the device:-
1. power
2. pan servo
3. tilt servo
4. UART1
5. UART2
6. I2C (for LCD and other stuff)

There is a bi-color LED and a button as well. The beeper/buzzer is on the PCB.

Daniel
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:33 AM
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
[magnetman,

I see your point but you haven't seen the soldering done by some of the users. A lot of people out there don't have an engineering background and even those that do may not know how to solder properly. I will however consider leaving the pads unpopulated.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Hi Daniel,
I was thinking of it as an order option, i.e supplied with but not fitted,
or normal (all headers fitted) for those who want that option, the former much like the DIY Drones PPM encoder when they ship it with connectors, but not fitted.