Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:47 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
bracky72,

No it doesn't. It could be made to but this is the first I've heard of people using azimuth displays like this. Most of the time I don't really care because when you fly out far enough, you just point your antenna straight out with very slight elevation.

Daniel

I find that odd. It's how you navigate in a real plane so why not fpv? It's the only way to know you are on track. Watch this video and you can see how it aids me in staying on course. I use google earth beforehand to determine the heading of my destination. In this case 280 degrees.

15.2 km FPV flight (44 min 34 sec)
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:56 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,468 Posts
Quote:
MikeTheCrash,

In general I try to keep the center portion of the screen clear of clutter. This is why I am averse to putting stuff like cross-hairs unless absolutely necessary. I suppose an option could be made though but it really needs to be thought through. I'd hate to implement a feature and find out that no one really uses it like that after some time.

Hmm... usually IMU corrections are so small they don't ever reach anywhere near max servo travel. Is there a particular concern you have here?

Daniel
The cross-hairs was something i thought would be useful for heli flying but i'm a long way from that and the buffeting warning just an idea for a cool feature, i couldn't claim any "need" for it!

The efficiency/time remaining/distance remaining at this speed i suggested a very long time ago and i reckon would be very useful. Perhaps these 3 extras could scroll where the mAh is displayed.

I'll try not to multiple post this time. Whoops.
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jun 19, 2010, 02:02 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
bracky72,

My mistake - I was thinking of elevation, not azimuth. It does have azimuth, which can be seen in OSD mode 3 but that's only for diagnostic purposes. I think OSD mode 2 also shows bearing to home. I'm not sure what your azimuth is in relation to.

MikeTheCrash,

I'll give those efficiency stuff some consideration.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:43 PM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
620 Posts
Today I tested again the autopilot skills(without any kind of stabilisation).

The new gps module works ok.

It managed to fly straight home(no snake moves)with ROTSTEPGAIN -1,2 APROTGAIN --50 , but sometimes it turns, over the home or near the home position and sometimes it goes far from home and turns.Today was a windy day, maybe that was the cause? In days with wind should I modify the parameters, the gain? (see video)

Dosd+ autopilot (6 min 33 sec)

Also today I played a lot with ROCSTEPGAIN and APROCGAIN but with no luck. I don't know that to do to make it work, maybe I'm doing something wrong.
For example my wing is trimmed like this: with 1/3 trottle it maintaines her level, if I raise the trottle stick she goes up,
If I lower it she goes down slowly. Normally if the ROCSTEPGAIN and APROCGAIN works if I lower the trottle stick she must go into stall because she can't reach the preset altittude and if I raise the trottle stick she must go to the preset altitude (pushing the servos up or down).
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Last edited by kempo; Jun 20, 2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:24 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2006
1,287 Posts
anyone made a case for their DOSD+.. looking for some idea's..
barok is offline Find More Posts by barok
Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:59 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,521 Posts
Too many holes required, try swiss cheese look
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:00 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barok View Post
anyone made a case for their DOSD+.. looking for some idea's..
Heatshrink not working for you?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:12 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Hi Guys,

Anyone of you here use GooPs?

If you happen to use it, you may like the latest firmware update. It has a built in simulator that allows you to play with settings and virtually fly the plane around while experimenting with settings. To use this simulator, you will need:-

1. Connect up your plane just as you would normally fly it
2. Disconnect GPS, IMU and any I2C sensors if you have those connected
3. Disconnect your motor if you want to conserve power, or at least remove props
4. Connect the serial port to the DOSD+ as you normally would

Next, find out the latitude and longitude of where you want to start flying. This should be in decimal format (GoogleEarth has this at the bottom of the map display.)

5. Issue the following command from the serial port - "SIM 1.03 103.8" where 1.03 is the lat, 103.8 is the lon.

The simulator is now started. It kinda flies like a real plane so you will need to get some speed before you can steer the plane. This is only a very crude flight model so don't expect complete aerodynamics to be modelled (ie. you can't stall, etc.) but it should be enough to play around. You may need to play with your stick directions and/or the aileron/elevator direction settings to get it to fly right.

If you have GooPs, you can:-

1. Issue the following command - "SET GPSPASS 1"
2. Close the terminal program (Tera Term in my case), or at least close the connection
3. Fire up GooPs and use the same COM port as you do for the terminal program
4. Fire up GoogleEarth if GooPs didn't do that automatically

At this point, you should be able to see yourself flying around in the GoogleEarth world.

When not in the simulator more, issuing "SET GPSPASS 1" will actually pass the GPS data through to the serial port at 115200baud.

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel Wee; Jun 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:28 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
For those who downloaded version 9.0 - please use 9.1. There were a number of important fixes.

kempo,

Try version 9.1 - that should fix the altitude control in the autopilot.

Daniel
Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:45 PM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
620 Posts
Quote:
For those who downloaded version 9.0 - please use 9.1. There were a number of important fixes.

kempo,

Try version 9.1 - that should fix the altitude control in the autopilot.

Daniel
Daniel your DOSD+ development speed is stunning.

Tomorrow I will test again altitude control.
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:54 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
kempo,

Thanks - I know users are counting on my development. In this version 9.1, I removed some damping used in earlier versions. This might result in the autopilot tracking harder. At this point in time, it's hard to say if this will be better or worse but I suspect it will be better than before.

I would start with a ROCSTEPGAIN of around 2.0 and APROCGAIN of around 45.0 to 50.0.

Do not enable the GPS stabilizer while doing all this as it has a tendency to fight with the autopilot. The stabilizer attempts to keep things level and straight. In future, I may disable the GPS stabilizer when the autopilot is running. For now, it is recommended to use a very small value for the GPS stabilizer gain.

Daniel
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:31 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,907 Posts
Hey Daniel,
I just did V- 9.1, I keep get errors, then i finally got this but something looks different does this look right??
Thanks Gary
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:08 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
G-unit,

What revision are you going up from and is this the first time you're trying this? If you're current firmware is early - you need to set the baud rate to 38400 in the reset and terminal tabs. Otherwise they need to be 115200 in all tabs. I just flashed a board with 9.1 without problems so my guess is that you've not been following the updates and missed some major change in between. You don't need to flash everyone of them, but you should read through the changes.

Daniel
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:12 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,907 Posts
It was on v 8.9 and my baud rate are all at 115200
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:27 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
G-unit,

Are you able to flash a previous version? Say 8.9?

Daniel