HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:18 PM
James Bond
USA BABY
Joined Jun 2010
76 Posts
how hard is the install and where do you get the gps module?

Thanks.

BTW. Congrats on the 2k posts
i3ond is offline Find More Posts by i3ond
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:56 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Installation is not too difficult and gps module is found here: http://www.ohararp.com/products.html I recommend you tell Ryan about USPS shipping instead of UPS (much cheaper) and also buy his pcb board which makes installation easier. It is very fast start up time, very cheap and very good response. I do not make a cent on this and how could you when he is selling them at $25 for the gps module!

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:01 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
John, is this the one you recommend? Had 8 pins, byt 4 in the front are the ones we need?

"10 Hz - FMP04 GPS module
26x26mm (smart antenna type)
MediaTek chipset"

The $25 one?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:08 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Yeah it is Cralis, I have a few other GPSs but this is the only one which would pick up a signal in my basement shop which is covered in wood and cement. plus it has a built in battery under the tin so it aquires fast.
One more note ... reverse the RX and TX going into Dragon OSD and this is according to the silkscreen or labeling on their optional PCB.

John
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:12 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Ta. Sent the guy a mail asking about cheap post... Dropped your name with the email.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jun 14, 2010, 04:21 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,583 Posts
I now use this FMP04 GPS module all the time.

Again - thanks goes out to John for suggesting this nice unit.
badlands is online now Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by badlands; Apr 14, 2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 04:29 PM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
kempo,

The timer automatically changes to elapsed time once you get sufficient GPS reception.

Try reducing ROTSTEPGAIN and ROCSTEPGAIN.
Daniel
Today , during 2 flights, I played with APROTGAIN and ROTstepgain only.

The best result is with APROTGAIN- 35 and ROTstepgain-3(0:37 first video), but still, after the first turn it dives,
start to do sudden movements.

All the rest of the Autopilot settings remained unchanged:

ROTlimit- 15,1
MAX heading chg- 44,9
APROCGAIN-39,9
ROC limit -10
ROC step gain - 0
Max. altitude chg.-9,6 m
Low speed limit - 1,96
Cruise altitude - 100
Current waypoint - 0
Hit distance- 200m
Auto-stabilisatize gain-0

Do I need to change something else or should I play only with APROTGAIN and ROTstepgain until it stops dive/oscillate/wagging?

Video still processing:

Dosd+ autopilot test 2 (4 min 25 sec)

Dosd+ autopilot test 1 (4 min 14 sec)
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Old Jun 14, 2010, 04:51 PM
HD Hero Rocks!!!!!!
Houston, TX
Joined Dec 2009
175 Posts
Kempo,
Have you tried the return to home with ROC step set to anything higher than zero?
I don't know what plane you are using but some of my planes tend to dive after certain rudder or aileron input. The DOSD+ then needs to use elevator to counter the dive.
The way I understand it, with ROC step at zero it won't do anything to the elevator, and this could be why you are diving. Try running it with ROC step at 2 or 3..
Wadsworth is offline Find More Posts by Wadsworth
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:06 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
kempo,

I would also suggest a smaller value for ROTSTEPGAIN. Let the plane turn more slowly. I would probably use a ROTSTEPGAIN around 1.5 and APROCGAIN of around 50.0. Don't shoot for a fast or tight turning autopilot. Go for a very gentle turn since there is no IMU.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:27 PM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
hi all,
Just curious if i need to do anything to my dosd+ to use flytrons small current sensor? also which way does the current need to go through it?

Cheers

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:27 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
spitfire_Doug,

You may need to fiddle with the Current Offset and Current Multiplier settings in the menu to calibrate it. Other than that, I reckon it should work just fine. Do make sure the wiring is correct though.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:35 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_Doug View Post
hi all,
Just curious if i need to do anything to my dosd+ to use flytrons small current sensor? also which way does the current need to go through it?

Cheers

Doug
Hi Doug,

As Daniel stated, you should fiddle with the adjustment with in your OSD menu. As for wiring this current sensor: http://www.flytron.com/58-ultralight...nt-sensor.html the connection on the pcb is exactly the same way as this one: http://www.forum.tsebi.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=64

Don't forget to make sure your ground is facing the "outside" of the Dragon OSD+ pcb. That is what we call the ground rail... ground trace follows the outside edges of the board except for one set of plug.

John
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:19 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,440 Posts
Spitfire Doug

I use the Flytron sensor with DOSD+ and it works great. Manual is on line at their website - and the new revised version does say which is right way to connect it up : )
Seems very Linear and accurate. I have no offset in there (but it is only approx calibrated at moment - good enough for FPV)

I use a servo lead to connect up to the DOSD+, but note that the signal line and the Vbat from the Sensor must be swapped around to suit the DOSD+ conenctor so pay attention to that. I'm assuming that you want to use that voltage input on teh DOSD+ to supply / monitor the battery.
Shikra is online now Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:16 PM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
kempo,

I would also suggest a smaller value for ROTSTEPGAIN. Let the plane turn more slowly. I would probably use a ROTSTEPGAIN around 1.5 and APROCGAIN of around 50.0. Don't shoot for a fast or tight turning autopilot. Go for a very gentle turn since there is no IMU.

Daniel
Well with this settings ROTSTEPGAIN-1,5 and APROTGAIN - 50.0 RTH works . Not straight to home(it moves like a snake) but it's comming home .I tried several flights- aprox 30 minutes and same result: it works. Thank you Daniel.

Now I want to configure the altitude cruise. For that I must change the APROCGAIN and ROC step gain, do I need to change anything else(ROC limit,Max. altitude chg,Hit distance) ? With what values I must start ?

Dosd+ autopilot working without stabilisation (2 min 52 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
Spitfire Doug

I use the Flytron sensor with DOSD+ and it works great. Manual is on line at their website - and the new revised version does say which is right way to connect it up : )
Seems very Linear and accurate. I have no offset in there (but it is only approx calibrated at moment - good enough for FPV)

I use a servo lead to connect up to the DOSD+, but note that the signal line and the Vbat from the Sensor must be swapped around to suit the DOSD+ conenctor so pay attention to that. I'm assuming that you want to use that voltage input on teh DOSD+ to supply / monitor the battery.
Shikra I've got a Flytron sensor too. Can you post some pictures with your connection ?
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Last edited by kempo; Jun 15, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 05:06 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,583 Posts
Looks good Kempo - that would do me!

What does your DOSD+ control? rudder & ailerons?
badlands is online now Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member