HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:44 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino View Post
Hmmmm. I was planning (if I go down the DOSD route) to set up Rx-DOSD-FY30A-servos as I want to make full use of the FY's stabilisation. I figured while it's there I might as well plug in and get a AHI but it seems it's not that simple. Ignoring the AHI is there an advantage to setting up 'your way' over 'my way' stabilisation wise?
with an imu connected to the i2c pins you can adjust the amount of stability in flight, but IMU alone doesn't offer 3D mode etc like the FY does, the more stability you dial in the more the plane is made to stay straight and level

you don't get AHI with the FY without a programmed translator board

FY has a few reliability issues? i don't have one but I have read of a few incidents
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:09 AM
Dirty Dozen FPV
United Kingdom, Diss
Joined Aug 2011
2,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
with an imu connected to the i2c pins you can adjust the amount of stability in flight, but IMU alone doesn't offer 3D mode etc like the FY does, the more stability you dial in the more the plane is made to stay straight and level

you don't get AHI with the FY without a programmed translator board

FY has a few reliability issues? i don't have one but I have read of a few incidents
I'm not interested in 3D mode, I just want the best auto level flight possible and that seems to be the FY30A. There seems to be more good reports than bad and you know how forums are mainly for complaints not praise so I think the FY is a good bet. I want AL specifically because I always fly my quads in AL and my brain is now programmed to expect the craft to return to level if the stick is centre, call me lazy but to me that makes more intuitive sense to me as newbie. I'm doing this for fun after all not to be technically proficient.

I'll stick with just running RX-DOSD-FY30A-Servos as it does everything I need, if I get stuck in a cloud at least I know centre stick is level even without AHI. Not that I plan to, but you never know.

I think I read there was a dedicated translator board in development, maybe that's an option later down the line.
Wayno Complaino is offline Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:49 AM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,006 Posts
Quote:
I'm not interested in 3D mode, I just want the best auto level flight possible and that seems to be the FY30A. There seems to be more good reports than bad and you know how forums are mainly for complaints not praise so I think the FY is a good bet. I want AL specifically because I always fly my quads in AL and my brain is now programmed to expect the craft to return to level if the stick is centre, call me lazy but to me that makes more intuitive sense to me as newbie. I'm doing this for fun after all not to be technically proficient.

I'll stick with just running RX-DOSD-FY30A-Servos as it does everything I need, if I get stuck in a cloud at least I know centre stick is level even without AHI. Not that I plan to, but you never know.

I think I read there was a dedicated translator board in development, maybe that's an option later down the line.
Although its good to have auto stab from a device such as a FY30, personaly I think you need to get as many unaided flights under your belt as you can, you need experiance flying without aid.
flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:09 AM
Joined Jan 2008
112 Posts
I maiden my new Sky Walker yesterday .test RTH plane no coming back..
check 10 sat HDOP 0.8 , AP servo test diredtion correct .
what i have change was " Alt Ratio = 19 "...is this affect?
I going to turn on rudder mode for next test ..How to check the rudder direction
how to know set rudder mode 1 or 2? can i do on ground test?
hippojia is offline Find More Posts by hippojia
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:31 AM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippojia View Post
I maiden my new Sky Walker yesterday .test RTH plane no coming back..
check 10 sat HDOP 0.8 , AP servo test diredtion correct .
what i have change was " Alt Ratio = 19 "...is this affect?
I going to turn on rudder mode for next test ..How to check the rudder direction
how to know set rudder mode 1 or 2? can i do on ground test?
Someone told me skywalkers need rudder to turn anyway
mode 0 = no AP rudder
mode 1 = AP rudder
mode 2 = AP reudder reversed

ALt. ratio is a ratio of distance: height , when your plane is below this ratio GPS coordinates will appear on OSD . 20 is max I believe, this means GPS displayed all the time
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Jan 2008
112 Posts
Thanks..
when rudder mode on ..when test servo direction rudder turn right..i think should be correct.
hippojia is offline Find More Posts by hippojia
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:06 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,058 Posts
Quote:
Hmmmm. I was planning (if I go down the DOSD route) to set up Rx-DOSD-FY30A-servos as I want to make full use of the FY's stabilisation. I figured while it's there I might as well plug in and get a AHI but it seems it's not that simple. Ignoring the AHI is there an advantage to setting up 'your way' over 'my way' stabilisation wise?
With MY way...actually Virgis21's way, you have control over the IMU settings in flight. You're way you can only turn it on/off in flight. With Virgis' setup you can turn the IMU on/off in flight, increase/decrease gains, and have the AHI capability...all via the DOSD menu settings. YOUR way you have to fly, land, adjust gain, fly, land, adjust gain, fly, land, adjust gain, until you're happy with the handling and that's where you're stuck with it. The Virgis route allows you to adjust gains while in flight for different conditions...say heavier winds at altitude that are bumping you around more than you like.

Of course, the choice is yours how you set it up. For the few extra bucks I'd get the ArduPro Mini board along with the custom (free) firmware and give both ways a shot. If you don't like the Virgis way you can probably resell the Pro Mini board and recoup most/all your money out of it.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:14 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippojia View Post
Thanks..
when rudder mode on ..when test servo direction rudder turn right..i think should be correct.
That is correct. When using rudder mode you should get right rudder, right aileron, and up elevator on the servo direction test.

Make sure you have the ROTStep Gain and ROCStep gains set for AP mode. If they're at 0 they are disabled. If they are to low you won't have much reaction. If they are to high you'll get the planning wiggling the wing tips up and down and the plane nosing up and down. I think ~2 for both is a good starting point. I'd set them one at a time, i.e. set ROC to zero and ROT to 2 or 3. Fly, activate AP and see if the plane starts to turn back home. IF it doesn't turn (fast enough) increase the ROT gain. If it turns to quick, reduce the ROT gain. Once you're happy with the turning go to the ROC gain, start at ~2 or 3 and repeat. You can do this all in flight via the DOSD menu.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:05 PM
Dirty Dozen FPV
United Kingdom, Diss
Joined Aug 2011
2,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylite View Post
Although its good to have auto stab from a device such as a FY30, personaly I think you need to get as many unaided flights under your belt as you can, you need experiance flying without aid.
I know mate, I'm doing OK with the easy star2 but thinking of not FPVing it but getting a dedicated FPV plane that is designed to take a gopro too, like the Zepher2. I know that would be too much plane for me at the moment but if 'tamed' by a stabiliser? Maybe. I don't know. It's all research and practice LOS for now.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
Dirty Dozen FPV
United Kingdom, Diss
Joined Aug 2011
2,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
With MY way...actually Virgis21's way, you have control over the IMU settings in flight. You're way you can only turn it on/off in flight. With Virgis' setup you can turn the IMU on/off in flight, increase/decrease gains, and have the AHI capability...all via the DOSD menu settings. YOUR way you have to fly, land, adjust gain, fly, land, adjust gain, fly, land, adjust gain, until you're happy with the handling and that's where you're stuck with it. The Virgis route allows you to adjust gains while in flight for different conditions...say heavier winds at altitude that are bumping you around more than you like.

Of course, the choice is yours how you set it up. For the few extra bucks I'd get the ArduPro Mini board along with the custom (free) firmware and give both ways a shot. If you don't like the Virgis way you can probably resell the Pro Mini board and recoup most/all your money out of it.
OK, that's more clear thank you. As long as the quality of the stabilisation is as good when running through two other processors before hitting the servos. I'd wait for the dedicated translator too, i'm hoping it will be plug an play with no firmware faffing.

I looking for good smooth gopro footage not a roller coaster ride, hence all the questions.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:28 PM
I Like Popcorn
Joined Oct 2009
2,006 Posts
Quote:
I know mate, I'm doing OK with the easy star2 but thinking of not FPVing it but getting a dedicated FPV plane that is designed to take a gopro too, like the Zepher2. I know that would be too much plane for me at the moment but if 'tamed' by a stabiliser? Maybe. I don't know. It's all research and practice LOS for now.
I would FPV the Easystar first, its forgiving in many ways that a wing won't be, Its slower and floats very well, perfect for a first FPV plane
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
Dirty Dozen FPV
United Kingdom, Diss
Joined Aug 2011
2,374 Posts
Quote:
I would FPV the Easystar first, its forgiving in many ways that a wing won't be, Its slower and floats very well, perfect for a first FPV plane
Probable will, just seems a shame to mod what's is currently a pretty plane. Even so, I like the idea of being able to flick a switch and it get itself out of trouble, its like handing the sticks over to an experienced pilot in a moment of panic. I can't always be standing next to you ;-)

Having it integrate with the OSD is icing on the cake.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:15 PM
I Like Popcorn
Joined Oct 2009
2,006 Posts
You can get a spare canopy or a purpose built frame that will fit in where the hatch is, many use these to fix their pan/tilt camera to as well as using the back for the Vtx, keeps it clean and saves hacking up the fus!
I did this with my Curlaris airframe but until I can get a LRS its pointless me using it, It likes to fly high

BTW did you get out today, also wondering if Mike got his new plane in the air today - reports pls gents!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:00 PM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,921 Posts
Quote:
You can get a spare canopy or a purpose built frame that will fit in where the hatch is, many use these to fix their pan/tilt camera to as well as using the back for the Vtx, keeps it clean and saves hacking up the fus!
I did this with my Curlaris airframe but until I can get a LRS its pointless me using it, It likes to fly high

BTW did you get out today, also wondering if Mike got his new plane in the air today - reports pls gents!
not quite, should be tomorrow if the weather is nice.
I'm just about to try upping the channel count to 14 on the 9x if the dragon link likes it. I've though of a great use for ch13, it can be slaved to the flap switch, so even though I have flaperons I can have a flap channel for DOSD display.
anyone else found a use for 13ch yet?

PS Daniel if you can squeeze in another feature how about "gear down" indicator?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:23 PM
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Jan 2012
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post

Hi Van,

Are you using an ArduPro Mini board for this? If so, could you please post a picture or drawing of the wiring for the mini board? It seems the image is missing from Virgis21's thread that shows the wiring for the mini board. Only the AdruIMU pic is still shown.

Thanks!

CT
CTvxl is offline Find More Posts by CTvxl
Last edited by CTvxl; Feb 26, 2012 at 06:57 PM.