HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino View Post
OMG, it's been a long and arduous journey but I'm finally here at the end of the thread. Admittedly, I did start form posts dated November 2011 as I couldn't face the whole thing.

I'm favouring DSOD right now for my first OSD but if I go dragon labs I'll want all the kit including DL, DT and even the daughter board (when they get here). This dessision is mainly based on most of my peers owning Dragon Labs and rating them highly. I'm confused though by the fact that Dragon Labs is not one entity but several people who seem to operate independently of each other and 'handed off' responsibilities to more still. Is there a time line or 'family tree' of products and people to explain who does what? I even get the feeling that there is a breakdown between some of the parties form a couple of comments I have read.

In an ideal world I would like to buy as much as possible from one vendor so if there are issues I only have one place to go back to. Having met Mike the Crash a few times I know he will give great service and back up but then I have to go direct to the US to buy a Dragon Link, not Mike. And DL isn't available right now with no option to backorder or an ETA. Then there's an apparent two DT systems developing from two sources, who will be supplying those? These things don't sit easy with me at all TBH.

I need a bit of reassurance as Ez and others are still 'on the table'...
Wayne, think of DragonLabs as a conglomerate, All parties share the same vision - to provide the best equipment they can for the best price, with the best customer support!

You just can't go wrong with DragonLabs. DT should be on sale soon from what I deduce for the chat on here, I know for one - Mike (The (used to) Crash) has a preorder button set up on his EU site. Well worth joining the queue I think!

Hope that helps.
flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:50 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrojo View Post
when i refer to the DOSD manual under section "Set failsafe Position" as per attachment below, what i understand is we can set failsafe at DOSD board without setting failsafe in my RX.

or maybe i misunderstand the manual.
that's right, but DOSD needs to know when failsafe has happened - so if your receiver doesn't stop producing PPM then DOSD won't know you are out of range.

This loss-of-ppm failsafe is deigned for some digital systems (eg spektrum) that can have a throttle channel set at a value that would activate PPM stopping if using a PPM encoder, or an FM set that outputs rubbish when out of range DOSD will recognise the rubbish as a failsafe condition.

If your Rx won't failsafe, then DOSD can't recognise a failsafe.
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:54 AM
Malaysia, Johor, Johor Bahru
Joined Feb 2012
108 Posts
thanks for the answer..
no choice. have to buy new rx with FS function
ultrojo is offline Find More Posts by ultrojo
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
yes I have a toroid on the GPS and one on the throttle cable from the ESC, no caps
Which color is the throttle? I have a UBEC and so I've been told to remove the red cable on the ESC. Does this mean I would wrap the black ESC wire around the toroid?

Thanks
THOMASJONES is offline Find More Posts by THOMASJONES
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:43 PM
France
Joined Mar 2008
327 Posts
Hello ,

Just few words about customer service of dragonlabs.

Specially for john .

You're just a great guy .

My dosd had a problem . I send it to john . After check up , my new dosd was fried.
John send me a new one with all the wiring ready to use . All that on two days.

So thank you john for all you did for me .

Dragonlabs rocks
totonor is offline Find More Posts by totonor
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
I still dont get my gps to work. Tried having it connected for 1 hour with gps only. Tried 2 different gps. Same problem. No sats. What colors should the tx rx cable have? Can it be something wrong with my dragon osd? Please help me. Had this osd 'for 2 months and its frustrating that it doesent work.
zkilzz is offline Find More Posts by zkilzz
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkilzz View Post
I still dont get my gps to work. Tried having it connected for 1 hour with gps only. Tried 2 different gps. Same problem. No sats. What colors should the tx rx cable have? Can it be something wrong with my dragon osd? Please help me. Had this osd 'for 2 months and its frustrating that it doesent work.
Are you inside or outside? What equipment do you have powered up? It can all make a difference. When you power it up does a red led on the GPS flash on then off (until it gets lock then it'll flash on and off slowly).

I don't recall the colors of the Tx and Rx wires. If you have them hooked up wrong the DOSD won't boot. Try looking at the DOSD video output display and see if it's hanging up on the GPS section or boots all the way up. If it boots up then I'd rule out the Tx/Rx wires being wrong.

You need to be outside for GPS, especially initial, lock. I would recommend connecting only the GPS to the DOSD and power the DOSD via a 2S or 3S battery connected to the power pins. Do not power up any other electronics. Leave it outside, in clear view of the sky for an hour or so. When the red led on the GPS is slowlty flashing then it's got satellite lock.

Things such as VTx's, cameras, ESCs, etc, can create rf noise that affects the GPS. If you can get lock, from the above, then start adding one component at a time until you find out which, if any, are affecting the GPS from locking.

I highly recommend wrapping the GPS wiring (all four wires) through a torroid as many times as possible, as close as possible to the GPS. You'll likely need to solder in some extention wires to reach your DOSD. Distance is also your friend. My GPS is on the rear half of my fuse and my camera, VTX, esc is up towards the front.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:27 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJONES View Post
Which color is the throttle? I have a UBEC and so I've been told to remove the red cable on the ESC. Does this mean I would wrap the black ESC wire around the toroid?

Thanks
http://www.jerseycoastrcclub.org/Mem...g_diagrams.htm

remove the ESC-BEC power cable to osd/receiver if you are using a separate UBEC

I would probably run the ESC control wire through the toroid a few times then take the pins out of the receptacle/plug that you don't want, fold them back, put some electrician's tape on so they don't connect/short
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
http://www.jerseycoastrcclub.org/Mem...g_diagrams.htm

remove the ESC-BEC power cable to osd/receiver if you are using a separate UBEC

I would probably run the ESC control wire through the toroid a few times then take the pins out of the receptacle/plug that you don't want, fold them back, put some electrician's tape on so they don't connect/short
Sweet. Thanks mate
THOMASJONES is offline Find More Posts by THOMASJONES
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:36 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by totonor View Post
Hello ,

Just few words about customer service of dragonlabs.

Specially for john .

You're just a great guy .

My dosd had a problem . I send it to john . After check up , my new dosd was fried.
John send me a new one with all the wiring ready to use . All that on two days.

So thank you john for all you did for me .

Dragonlabs rocks
Thanks for the kind words! Really we are just a bunch of guys who love to help one another like a happy family! Anyhow your package should be at the main processing branch and on it's way back to you. Expect to see it at your door by late next week.

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:09 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkilzz View Post
Can you go over the issue and your setup again?

What plane?
Dosd powered by current sensor or video power?
brand, frequency and mW of your vtx? And what kind of antenna?
How far is your vtx from the antenna?

Try this:

Power up dosd with gps outside, but no camera or vtx. Just leave it in your back yard or something. The red light on gps will blink once at power up. It will start blinking regularly when it starts locking on to satellites. If it doesn't start blinking after an hour, something is most likely wrong with the gps. (or wherever you are has some WEIRD interference).

Once the gps starts blinking, power up the camera. Wait 10 seconds. If the gps stops blinking it's interference from the camera. Move the camera further and try using a toroid on the camera cable.

If its still blinking, power up the Vtx. After 10 seconds, if it stops blinking then your vtx may be swamping the gps. This occurs more often on 1.2-1.3ghz. In this case, you can try this filter, or a similar one for your vtx frequency.
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=565

If its still blinking, power up your plane. Again, wait 10 seconds. If it stops blinking now, then your GPS or it's cable may be too close to the ESC or power cables. Try repositioning your cables and putting a toroid on the gps cable, close to the gps.

If its still blinking, put on your goggles and go fly your plane!
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:23 PM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
Can you go over the issue and your setup again?

What plane?
Dosd powered by current sensor or video power?
brand, frequency and mW of your vtx? And what kind of antenna?
How far is your vtx from the antenna?

Try this:

Power up dosd with gps outside, but no camera or vtx. Just leave it in your back yard or something. The red light on gps will blink once at power up. It will start blinking regularly when it starts locking on to satellites. If it doesn't start blinking after an hour, something is most likely wrong with the gps. (or wherever you are has some WEIRD interference).

Once the gps starts blinking, power up the camera. Wait 10 seconds. If the gps stops blinking it's interference from the camera. Move the camera further and try using a toroid on the camera cable.

If its still blinking, power up the Vtx. After 10 seconds, if it stops blinking then your vtx may be swamping the gps. This occurs more often on 1.2-1.3ghz. In this case, you can try this filter, or a similar one for your vtx frequency.
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=565

If its still blinking, power up your plane. Again, wait 10 seconds. If it stops blinking now, then your GPS or it's cable may be too close to the ESC or power cables. Try repositioning your cables and putting a toroid on the gps cable, close to the gps.

If its still blinking, put on your goggles and go fly your plane!
Very sound advice Tracks, I also will be folowing your advice!

flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:49 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,986 Posts
Lol! Sorry, Vantasstic. I replied before I read your reply, and basically just said everything you said.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:40 AM
Malaysia, Johor, Johor Bahru
Joined Feb 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH View Post
Thanks for the kind words! Really we are just a bunch of guys who love to help one another like a happy family! Anyhow your package should be at the main processing branch and on it's way back to you. Expect to see it at your door by late next week.

John
i bought dosd last week from foxtechfpv. today my 1st maiden rth works great. after 15 minutes maiden, plane stall and crash litle bit.

i found that all servos and chanell glitch and sometimes not moving. if i do direct conection without dosd, servos and motor works smoothly.

is it my dosd fried or need to upgrade firmware.
hope dragonlabs can help me way to fix. i like dosd very much. pls help me.

tq.
ultrojo is offline Find More Posts by ultrojo
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
ultrojo,

It's not uncommon for the servos to twitch a little. This could be due to a number of things - such as the DOSD+ making some stabilization adjustments (if you are in autopilot or RTH or stabilization mode). It might be due to GPS position drift resulting in the DOSD+ making corrections as well. When the RTH/autopilot/stabilization is not active, you should not see twitching in the servos.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee