HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:54 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsands2801 View Post
I am going to power my motor through the sensor so i can get a measurement on battery mah used and voltage on it. My plan is

Battery 1 (FPV Battery)
------------------------
DL RX

Battery 2
-----------------------
Motor
ESC

Connections
---------------------
Connect PPM from DL RX to DOSD
DOSD to feed servos

But I want to ensure the next part

DOSD would technically be powered by the sensor if i wanted to get the motor battery voltage and mah used?

Ideally i would like the sensor only to give the data to the DOSD and have the DOSD itself powered by the servos. Is this possible?
Potentially you could power the DOSD via the same voltage the servos are using. The problem is that's near the low end of the voltage range for the DOSD to work. If the voltage dips the DOSD will reset itself...not a pretty scenario while in flight as you'll have no control until it resets...and brown outs again. Power your DOSD from at least a 2S LiPo and let the PWM outputs operate from a BEC or Rx pack.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
I have a 3S lipo for the DL RX, etc

It has a 6V regulator so its a safe steady power being supplied. The Battery 1 (3S) goes to VTX, Camera unregulated and then the regulated supply goes to the DL RX and DOSD

So it is possible to have it powering the DOSD via connections along top row, plug in the sensor and it will just read its data as well?
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Or do i take just the white data wire from the sensor and connect it to ISENSE pin? and then connect my battery 1 to the normal power pins?

My reason for the two batteries into DOSD i dont want to "accidentally" drain my motor battery which in turn would kill servos, gps and DOSD. So want the DOSD itself running from a seperate battery but need the battery data from sensor
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:25 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,126 Posts
Quote:
Or do i take just the white data wire from the sensor and connect it to ISENSE pin? and then connect my battery 1 to the normal power pins?

My reason for the two batteries into DOSD i dont want to "accidentally" drain my motor battery which in turn would kill servos, gps and DOSD. So want the DOSD itself running from a seperate battery but need the battery data from sensor
Sorry, but I've confused myself in what you're asking. I power my system off two packs. The main flight pack powers the motor and an external BEC which powers the Rx, and servos (via the PWM ports). The DOSD does not get power from the PWM ports.
I have a second battery (3S) that powers my DOSD via the power pins. The battery also powers the video/camera equipment. With two packs hooked up you can display voltage of both on the DOSD screen...that way you know exactly how each battery is doing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
What way does the current sensor connect to the DOSD so I get battery info from the sensor on the motor? Do i connect all 3 pins ground, power and signal from the sensor to DOSD or just the signal pin?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:47 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,985 Posts
Quote:
What way does the current sensor connect to the DOSD so I get battery info from the sensor on the motor? Do i connect all 3 pins ground, power and signal from the sensor to DOSD or just the signal pin?
You can leave all three connected. If you want power for the DOSD to come from the current sensor, then you have to use the jumper that comes with it. Otherwise, when you attach the second battery, it will power the DOSD.

The power you are applying for PWM is separate. It only powers the servos, and receiver through the ppm wire, and not the DOSD. However, you could split the power you are using for the BEC for you receiver and use that to power the DOSD as well.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Thanks for help Sorry i wasnt sure if the sensor would power it as well if the second battery was connected but it requires the jumper to be put in for that to happen.

So will connect it all up and maybe upload a photo. Will be a while whilst I wait for Bixler to arrive
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:09 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Welcome back Craig. It's good to see you again. As for setting you your DOSD...I know this neat program a fairdinkum mate (from your neck of the woods I believe) that did up this program called....PC Commander. It works great and makes setup a breeze. I highely recommend it...but if you want to do it the hard way...have fun!!!!!
haha! I heard of this app... sounds cool. I heard a few people battle with it, and that the developer should pull his thumb out and get it fixed! I heard he would really like to redo it, but that's another story.

As for setting up - I'm worried about the wiring. I bought a big EPO glider thing.. loads of space, but just can't get the wiring done. Can't evenr remember how to make the harness! I can see me smoking stuff... NOT SMOKING - as in WEED! I meant smoking the electronics. NOT SMOKING IN MY MOUTH! I mean Pos/Neg mistake or ... Ah, you know what I meant.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
90 Posts
What is the absolute simplest connections I can make to verify this OSD is working. I Hooked up the power from a 3S lipo, a video in, and a video out, gps, and current sensor but I am seeing no OSD. Do I need a ppm source before it works at all? There is a lot to connect and I am still waiting for my Dragonlink transmitter and receiver so I thought I would test what I could while I await the other parts. I would think I would see a screen with the data reading wrong but I have no display at all.
Jim2011 is offline Find More Posts by Jim2011
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:10 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
471 Posts
ground loop question...
Is it possible to connect the current sensor to DOSD as well as voltage from a voltage regulator that is powering the VTx and Cam? The input power to this voltage regulator would be from the Main flight battery, as I want to monitor (via OSD) the voltage of the regulator to ensure the VTx and Cam are getting correct voltage. Would I remove the positive and maybe ground wire from the current sensor to DOSD, leaving only the isense wire for this to be possible without causing a ground loop? Otherwise I could use a second battery for the FPV stuff.
Haych is offline Find More Posts by Haych
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:43 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2011 View Post
What is the absolute simplest connections I can make to verify this OSD is working. I Hooked up the power from a 3S lipo, a video in, and a video out, gps, and current sensor but I am seeing no OSD. Do I need a ppm source before it works at all? There is a lot to connect and I am still waiting for my Dragonlink transmitter and receiver so I thought I would test what I could while I await the other parts. I would think I would see a screen with the data reading wrong but I have no display at all.
you don't need PPM to make it work, nor GPS or current sensor. Put power on the input pins and connect video in, out and ground. Then you should see video overlay. If you don't then unplug the video connector from DOSD, put a little wire or paperclip etc between the video in and out... If you don't get any video then there's a problem with your video system.

it's worth checking and double checking the video connections anyway in case the pins are reversed or signal is being grounded
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:36 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haych View Post
ground loop question...
Is it possible to connect the current sensor to DOSD as well as voltage from a voltage regulator that is powering the VTx and Cam? The input power to this voltage regulator would be from the Main flight battery, as I want to monitor (via OSD) the voltage of the regulator to ensure the VTx and Cam are getting correct voltage. Would I remove the positive and maybe ground wire from the current sensor to DOSD, leaving only the isense wire for this to be possible without causing a ground loop? Otherwise I could use a second battery for the FPV stuff.
You could do that. Leave the CS wires all attached. Connect the +/- of from your voltage regulator to the DOSD Power Pins. In the display you'll be able to see both voltages (if you have them both enabled to show).
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:42 AM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Ye Olde GPS Issues

Hi Guys, need help debugging a GPS issue with our DOSD.

It seems that we can never get a lock but after lots of bench tests I come to the conclusion that when my Vtx/DOSD/Camera packs voltage drops to about 11.5v we start to see sats showing.
Facts, we are using 1360mhz Vtx which is placed on the tail of our E* - the GPS is directly on the front of the nose. A torroid ring is being used right by the GPS with 6 turns. The DOSD sits quite close under the GPS unit (in the front of the nose).The cam is mounted to the removable canopy.

I'm presuming that the GPS's internal battery is fine and that its not DL'ing the Armagnac each powerup (same location).

Any idea's?

flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:47 AM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Scrub the idea that its related to the battery voltage level (it was a punt that the lower voltage to the Vtx that would lessen the output power had a part to play).

Odd.
flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Aug 2011
90 Posts
That was it. I had it wired correctly, the cable was bad. Very relieved to see it is going to work OK. Thanks, it made my day. I had been fighting this problem for a while.
Jim2011 is offline Find More Posts by Jim2011