HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
90 Posts
Spektrum receiver with Dragon OSD?

I have a Dragon OSD V2 and am trying to get all my connections right and get it operational. Can this be used with a spektrum receiver as the ones I currently have are spektrum. I have a Dragon Link long range transmitter and receiver on order but figured I would try and figure it out in the mean time. If it will be too difficult I may shelf it until the Dragonlink Transmitter and receiver get here. Most connections were fairly easy to identify with the Dragonlink web site, but finding a ppm from a spektrum receiver is difficult. I am anxious to get it all working, but I am trying to be careful and not damage it in the process by a wrong connection.
Jim2011 is offline Find More Posts by Jim2011
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:28 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
you need to power the servos connected to DOSD, the receiver and any servos attached to it.

normally you power one and the other is connected electrically via the PPM line thus powering the other

with a BEC in your ESC this is normally powering your system via the ESC control cable. Safer to use a separate BEC connected to a free servo position and tie back the power leads (both + and -) in the ESC control cable

DOSD does not supply power to servos.
OK, thanks Mike
Haych is offline Find More Posts by Haych
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2011 View Post
I have a Dragon OSD V2 and am trying to get all my connections right and get it operational. Can this be used with a spektrum receiver as the ones I currently have are spektrum. I have a Dragon Link long range transmitter and receiver on order but figured I would try and figure it out in the mean time. If it will be too difficult I may shelf it until the Dragonlink Transmitter and receiver get here. Most connections were fairly easy to identify with the Dragonlink web site, but finding a ppm from a spektrum receiver is difficult. I am anxious to get it all working, but I am trying to be careful and not damage it in the process by a wrong connection.
You will need to use a PPM encoder to connect your Spektrum Rx to the DOSD. Sparkfun/DIYDrones has them: http://store.diydrones.com/SearchRes...x=0&Search.y=0
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Hello all!
I am trying to get back to flying, the forums, PCC and all that, but I am battling with heavy work load of a job upgrade, and a large project that completes soon. But I will be back soon. Infact, in anger, I threw together a large HK glider, but don't have the time to setup a new DOSD+, so might fly it conventionally. *SHOCK HORROR*

Hope everyone is alive and well.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:36 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
You will need to use a PPM encoder to connect your Spektrum Rx to the DOSD. Sparkfun/DIYDrones has them: http://store.diydrones.com/SearchRes...x=0&Search.y=0
As of last week also available here: http://www.dragonlabseu.bigcartel.co...ct/ppm-encoder
(outrageous shameless plug!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Hello all!
I am trying to get back to flying, the forums, PCC and all that, but I am battling with heavy work load of a job upgrade, and a large project that completes soon. But I will be back soon. Infact, in anger, I threw together a large HK glider, but don't have the time to setup a new DOSD+, so might fly it conventionally. *SHOCK HORROR*

Hey Craig! Are you going to come back and integrate waypoint programming into PC commander?
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:06 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Mike - I want to! Easy as! But, just gotta tie up some work issues, then I'll be BACK!!
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:49 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
is there any way to make the on screen text look better
Bruce the goose is offline Find More Posts by Bruce the goose
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:12 AM
I'd FPV it.
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,842 Posts
DOSD rocks! Here is a little video of RTH testing on my ritewing Z2.
Z2 Dragonlink AP Test 2 (4 min 0 sec)
Ho-Jazz is offline Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:19 AM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce the goose View Post

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Space-Spec...#ht_1240wt_905
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,347 Posts
Quote:
Real funny Mike.

Bruce, I did this mod to improve my text with borders on: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14534
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Hello all!

Welcome back Craig. It's good to see you again. As for setting you your DOSD...I know this neat program a fairdinkum mate (from your neck of the woods I believe) that did up this program called....PC Commander. It works great and makes setup a breeze. I highely recommend it...but if you want to do it the hard way...have fun!!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce the goose View Post
OK sorry for the flippancy, what do you mean by "better"?
for example reduce the shadow with Vantasstic's mod
or if you are having trouble viewing text at the screen edges on fatsharks, for example, adjust the safezones
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:33 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,175 Posts
Quote:
Mike
I'm a bit concerned that you knew these existed.
mudlark is online now Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
I am going to power my motor through the sensor so i can get a measurement on battery mah used and voltage on it. My plan is

Battery 1 (FPV Battery)
------------------------
DL RX

Battery 2
-----------------------
Motor
ESC

Connections
---------------------
Connect PPM from DL RX to DOSD
DOSD to feed servos

But I want to ensure the next part

DOSD would technically be powered by the sensor if i wanted to get the motor battery voltage and mah used?

Ideally i would like the sensor only to give the data to the DOSD and have the DOSD itself powered by the servos. Is this possible?
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:04 PM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsands2801 View Post
I am going to power my motor through the sensor so i can get a measurement on battery mah used and voltage on it. My plan is

Battery 1 (FPV Battery)
------------------------
DL RX

Battery 2
-----------------------
Motor
ESC

Connections
---------------------
Connect PPM from DL RX to DOSD
DOSD to feed servos

But I want to ensure the next part

DOSD would technically be powered by the sensor if i wanted to get the motor battery voltage and mah used?

Ideally i would like the sensor only to give the data to the DOSD and have the DOSD itself powered by the servos. Is this possible?
Best just to use Battery 1 to also power the DOSD directly, this will give you what you want as well as giving you the ability to monitor the voltage of battery 1. You will still be able to get the mah used and voltage from the current sensor.
Just make a spur and connect it as in the manual if not taking power for the
DOSD from the current sensor ( you have to use the jumper if you need to power the DOSD from the current sensor).

Hope that helps
flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite