HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:18 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Ok, I am hoping to fly my DragonOSD+ for the first time, this weekend. It will eb flown with a Thomas LRS (12CH), also for the first time. It's being flown on an Easy Star for a fwe weeks, and then will be transplanted into a SkyWalker. So that the moment, my Easy Star doesn't look neat! But, it's temporary, and if things go wrong, I don't mind (but would prefer NOT to) lose my EZ* in a crash. I'd prefer to do this testing on this plane.

BUT...

For the life of me... I can't get a switch to control the OSD! I am using a Futaba 9C.

I have connected CH12 from the Rx, to the PPMIn on the OSD. No servo connections have been added to the PPM1 and 2. Rudder and elevator are still connected to the Rx. But I should still be able to operate the menu, right?

On my 9C, I have done this:

Assigned CH8 to a knob on the transmitter... On the transmitter, I have set the end points of the knob to go to 140% (Full range). In the servo screen on the Tx, I twist the knob, and it goes from full up position (+140%) to full low position (-140%) as I dial it down... So, all points of the channel are 'hit'.

On the DragonOSD+, I have assgined my CONTROLCHANNEL to CH12.

(I am at work now, but NOW think that that should be set to CH8!! Should it?)

This might be a pointless post!
Hi Cralis, you have it right, set the control channel to 8 and all will be good, good luck.
Mark
mark hitchman is online now Find More Posts by mark hitchman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:36 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks Mark... Argh! I was busy on this for HOURS... and only clicked now! hehe.
Also, if there a way to engage RTH from the Tx? CTRLCHAN is set to 8... and 8 is a dial... Can I not assign a different switch to RTH?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jun 02, 2010, 08:39 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Thanks Mark... Argh! I was busy on this for HOURS... and only clicked now! hehe.
Also, if there a way to engage RTH from the Tx? CTRLCHAN is set to 8... and 8 is a dial... Can I not assign a different switch to RTH?
I would put the autopilot on a 3way switch once you have it all working, the dial is good for setting things up. There are 4 screens you might want access to, you can setup 2 switches if you want to have access to them all.
Mark
Old Jun 02, 2010, 08:45 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
MikeTheCrash,

That really made my day! (and it's just early in the morning now).

Cralis,

The fact that channel-12 is being used on the TLRS is just incidental. It does not mean that you are actually using channel 12 but that the channel was re-designated as PPM output. The actual channel being used depends on your radio settings and what you set CTRLCHAN to.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:13 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks Daniel. I'll fix my stupid error this evening.

Mark, if there's one setting for CTRLCHAN, hwo can I assign 2 different switches to control the 'mode'. I'm a n00b to the menu, so may be talking complete horse dung, but ... it sounds like the 'mode' is controlled by certain positions of a channel. So a 3 way switch would only allow for 3 different modes. Maybe 'OSD Off', 'OSD On' and 'Menu'. But it sounds like there's 4 modes. 'OSD Off', 'OSD On' 'Menu' and RTH? Is that right?

Ideally, I'd like to have my 3 way switch switching between OSD On, OSD Off and Menu, and then a different switch for RTH. Is that at all possible?
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:30 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Cralis,

That is exactly right - the mode is being controlled using different positions of a channel - up to four modes. And yes, a typical 3-way switch will only allow you to chose up to three of those modes. Normally I leave out the blank screen mode. However, with some clever mixing, you can actually get access to more than three modes. This will require a good understanding of how mixing works on the radio - something which I have noticed very few people actually understand. Some radios are more programmable in this regard than others. Unfortunately, I don't have a Futaba so I can't advise how this can be done on it.

Daniel
Old Jun 02, 2010, 10:17 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,943 Posts
Hi Cralis, try setting a mix of channel 8 to channel 8 and assign it to say, switch B, play around with the end points of the mix and watch the servo screen to see if it works. I have only just got a 9cap so I have not tried it yet but that was what I was planning to do.
My plane is ready to go except for the fact I have used a 6 channel receiver so I have to change from flaperons to a y cable for the ailerons, need to find a 9 channel receiver that I can get ppm from. I have 2 RP8D1 Coronas which I tried with just battery and 1 servo and they both have the jitters yet the futaba 6 channel is stable. I have not used 40mhz since I flew helis and am a bit nervous about it, my spektrum gear was solid as, uhf will be next.
Mark
Last edited by mark hitchman; Jun 02, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 10:38 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
Oh Wow!!!

just took the Twinstar out for a dusk fly, trimmed it mechanically, and the IMU stabilisation works great though it's such a calm night I didn't really push its capabilities.

Then I switched it off and tried the autopilot expecting a ton of tweaking and to my amazement it worked on all the default settings without any problem. I kept hold of the Tx but I didn't need to as the plane pottered around above me. I am so impressed and I wish there had been some of the other fliers there to see it. Genius!!!!

A couple of times the plane looked like it was heading away from me and not coming back, so next time I'll do it FPV and look to see what's going on properly.

I am so impressed that the direction and altitude control kept the plane stable without IMU!

Amazing Daniel. So I've got dragon link, Dragon OSD+ now all I need is Dragon video!!
Mike, sorry, your post seems a little unclear to me.

In the first sentence you say....

Quote:
.......and the IMU stabilisation works great.....
but later you say.....

Quote:
I am so impressed that the direction and altitude control kept the plane stable without IMU!
So was that flight without the IMU? GPS stabilization only?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks!
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Jun 03, 2010, 03:09 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post
Mike, sorry, your post seems a little unclear to me.

In the first sentence you say....

but later you say.....

So was that flight without the IMU? GPS stabilization only?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks!
yes, you are missing the "then I switched it off"! My bad english, that's not a good sentence!

Magnetman I couldn't wear that helmet in public. I'm not dedicated enough to the hobby to look that silly. Do you embarrass your children, do they go "Oh Daaaad" in whiney voices? having said that, my goggles don't fit well so I have to hold them on my eyes with a hat pulled over my face.

Badlands My setup is ch1 operating Ailerons and ch2 on elevator. I used all the default settings for Autopilot except I had the IMU stabilisation set to 6. (I didn't use the IMU or GPS for stabilisation while testing the AP). I reckon this is probably too high but I need a blustery day to see how low I can take it. I could be wrong but I don't think its output is mega fast like a heli gyro so I didn't get any obvious oscillation - perhaps Daniel has smoothed it with the code. I started testing as per Daniel's instructions, with ROCstepgain at 0, adjusting the elevator myself, then I set the cruise height to 30m and put ROC back to default and the plane did everything itself. It's an amazing thing to watch your plane flying itself after all this time twiddling sticks!

Cralis I have used ch5 (gear switch) for normal/menu switching. I put Mix1 on a switch next to it. Mix 1, when switched on, mixes gear to gear in different amounts according to whether gear is "up" or "down" so when it's switched on I then get display off/autopilot. I nearly wore out the menu button on my DX6i trying to set this up, so here are my settings in case they might be a good starting point for your radio
Gear Travel adjust down 54% up 44%
Mix 1 Gear>Gear down +54% up +35%

cheers

Mike
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jun 03, 2010, 03:18 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
For those who are about to send me emails or PMs, I will be in the US from Sunday to Tuesday so I will not be around to reply, sorry for the inconvenience.

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Jun 03, 2010, 03:20 AM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,943 Posts
Hi Daniel, I see in the menu a minimum speed setting, is this going to be an audible alarm like a stall warning or flashing stall on the screen, just wondered how you envisaged implementing this?
I may have damaged the IMU in the crash, it's acting a bit weird, I presume they are sensitive to extreme g-forces. When I had everything sitting on the table powered up the ahi started drifting slowly to the extreme over about 10 mimutes, i do not remember it doing this before. Last time I tried it the ahi was steady but if I turned the plane around slowly while it was still sitting on the table the ahi would look like it was banking, turn it back and the ahi leveled out.
Thanks
Mark
Old Jun 03, 2010, 03:25 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
mark,

There is a stall horn but it is only used in conjunction with air-speed (requiring an air-speed sensor), not GPS speed. So once the air-speed drops below the stall speed, the horn starts.

As for the IMU, try re-calibrating it. And remember to let it sit unmoving until the lights stop flashing at power up.

Daniel
Old Jun 03, 2010, 03:26 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
Cralis I have used ch5 (gear switch) for normal/menu switching. I put Mix1 on a switch next to it. Mix 1, when switched on, mixes gear to gear in different amounts according to whether gear is "up" or "down" so when it's switched on I then get display off/autopilot. I nearly wore out the menu button on my DX6i trying to set this up, so here are my settings in case they might be a good starting point for your radio
Gear Travel adjust down 54% up 44%
Mix 1 Gear>Gear down +54% up +35%

cheers

Mike
Thanks Mike! Gonna try that now!
Old Jun 03, 2010, 04:45 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Ah, guys... I just got a replacement camera for one I killed a few weeks back. It's a cheap $25 camera from Ebay.. (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

BUT... I have white banding across where the letters go.

Normal OSD Mode.

OSD switched off Mode.

Menu Mode.

Hope someone can help. With my other more rubbish camera, I see no such banding...

PS: Mike, this is using the twisty knob. Will try your settings now.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 06:56 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Cralis,

The banding suggests one that perhaps the voltage levels may be too high. You may want to try putting a 75ohm resistor in series with the video input line and see if that helps. The following mod may also help:-

http://forum.tsebi.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=74

Look at the second and last post.

Daniel