HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:36 AM
Council Bluffs, IA
Joined Apr 2006
17 Posts
Is 6V too much?

I have a 6V BEC that I am using to power my dragon link (receiver) and the pan and tilt servos. The manual says I can run 5V power to the DOSD servos (channels 1-4) from my reciever to the DOSD alongside the ppm signal cable (channel 9 on dragon link receiver). My question is does this sound correct and if my servos can handle 6V am I ok inputting the extra volt from a 6V BEC into the DOSD. I am assuming this power is isolated to just the servos but just want to check and make sure before I fry anything. Thanks.
gIMpYchUM is offline Find More Posts by gIMpYchUM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:29 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexnoobs247 View Post
OK SERIOUS PROBLEM NOW!

Now when I hook it to my video even without the current sensor it wont even boot up. Its passing video through, but displaying absolutely nothing on the screen. It also isn't connecting to my computer either.

I tried hooking the current sensor up with just the signal wire (yes it was in the proper spot) and now nothing is working. I was powering it with a separate battery.

Anybody have any ideas or know what the warranty policy is? Maybe John or somebody?

Kinda annoyed, this thing hasn't worked right since I got it I feel...
I'd PM/e-mail John (JMSTech) for help on this...I can't provide any guidance...sorry.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:31 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIMpYchUM View Post
I have a 6V BEC that I am using to power my dragon link (receiver) and the pan and tilt servos. The manual says I can run 5V power to the DOSD servos (channels 1-4) from my reciever to the DOSD alongside the ppm signal cable (channel 9 on dragon link receiver). My question is does this sound correct and if my servos can handle 6V am I ok inputting the extra volt from a 6V BEC into the DOSD. I am assuming this power is isolated to just the servos but just want to check and make sure before I fry anything. Thanks.
I've never tried it, but don't see where it'd be a problem. The servo voltage is isolated from the rest of the DOSD.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:32 AM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
643 Posts
Ok so I tested my current sensor with a multi meter and when I hold one pointer on the (-) terminal of the CS while its hooked to the ESC and Bat, and the other pointer to all three wire points that go to the DOSD, the outer two have no voltage while the center one has ~12.xx volts. Is this normal? It seems to me like the center one (being the signal) and one of the outside pins (being the power) would show voltage. Also my DOSD still isn't booting or connecting to my computer. I just got my DL in the mail yesterday and I would really appreciate some help with this please. I want to fly but right now I'm grounded awaiting responses
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:34 AM
FPV FTW!!
Joined Oct 2011
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I'd PM/e-mail John (JMSTech) for help on this...I can't provide any guidance...sorry.
Thanks for responding Van. Crap if you don't have any ideas then maybe I'm SOL lol. I sent a PM to JMSTech last night, does he usually get back to people pretty quickly?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:39 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for responding Van. Crap if you don't have any ideas then maybe I'm SOL lol. I sent a PM to JMSTech last night, does he usually get back to people pretty quickly?
Yes, I believe so. Since you just got this you might also want to check with who you purchased it from for replacement. I'm don't see John on the forums a lot so I think e-mail to him might be better. You can find his e-mail here: http://www.dragonlabs.net/site/Contact . He's the top listing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:44 AM
FPV FTW!!
Joined Oct 2011
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Yes, I believe so. Since you just got this you might also want to check with who you purchased it from for replacement. I'm don't see John on the forums a lot so I think e-mail to him might be better. You can find his e-mail here: http://www.dragonlabs.net/site/Contact . He's the top listing.
Ok great. I bought it from Mike (jetpilot). Is that going to be an issue? Should I contact him too?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Rexnoobs247,

If you got it from Mike, you will need to get the replacement from Mike since that's a different batch from what John sells currently.

It sounds like your DOSD+ was initially working but somewhere along the line of testing, you might have reversed power to the DOSD+. It only takes a fraction of a second to blow something up with reversed power, and you may not see any sign of it.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:07 AM
FPV FTW!!
Joined Oct 2011
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
Rexnoobs247,

If you got it from Mike, you will need to get the replacement from Mike since that's a different batch from what John sells currently.

It sounds like your DOSD+ was initially working but somewhere along the line of testing, you might have reversed power to the DOSD+. It only takes a fraction of a second to blow something up with reversed power, and you may not see any sign of it.

Daniel
Yes sir,
It was initially working, but the CS never worked. I couldn't get an answer on here on how to fix it so I decided to cut my losses and just power the DOSD with a separate battery, but still try to read the flight battery charge as well (I think I saw someone that did that back around page 940 something). It didn't work so I connected the ground and signal wires, seeing as some people have to do that with the RSSI pins. After that its never worked. I'm positive everything is hooked up right because I scrutinized every picture in the manual related to it, but after I hooked up the signal and ground together it stopped. Maybe I had a bad CS from the start? Is that possible and maybe that caused my board to fry?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Rexnoobs247,

I'm not sure what kind of CS you got because there are several different types floating out there at the moment. If your DOSD+ works off the normal battery input but not through the CS, then chances are there's something wrong with either the cabling, CS, or that you've blown a trace. Furthermore, to power things through the CS requires a jumper in the correct location but I assume that you already know that. If the normal power connection doesn't bring up the text, chances are somewhere along the line you've managed to blow something, probably through power reversal.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:02 AM
FPV FTW!!
Joined Oct 2011
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
Rexnoobs247,

I'm not sure what kind of CS you got because there are several different types floating out there at the moment. If your DOSD+ works off the normal battery input but not through the CS, then chances are there's something wrong with either the cabling, CS, or that you've blown a trace. Furthermore, to power things through the CS requires a jumper in the correct location but I assume that you already know that. If the normal power connection doesn't bring up the text, chances are somewhere along the line you've managed to blow something, probably through power reversal.

Daniel
Yea no text is coming up anymore. That only happened after I attached the signal from the CS and the Ground from the CS. Power for the DOSD was coming from the other battery hooked up to the DOSD. The CS I have is the same one pictured on page 20 of the manual. In that picture, I assumed ground was the far left and signal was the middle because of the places they connected on the DOSD so thats how I hooked it up. If by connecting the middle white wire and the black left ground wire that made a power reversal, then I guess thats what happened. But I just don't see how thats possible, because I hooked everything up EXACTLY (not yelling just emphasizing lol) how the picture on page 20 is.

Edit: Unless for some reason that picture is incorrect?
Last edited by Rexnoobs247; Jan 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:12 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,183 Posts
Quote:
It would have been the ground and signal reversed. After I tried that I powered it down very quickly, and powered it back up with just the battery, no current sensor.
NO! Ground and voltage were reversed. V2 sensor voltage....forget "signal". Does not matter how quickly you powered down. Something is blown (or not properly wired/soldered) on your current sensor as you should have voltage on the red (+) wire also.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:18 AM
FPV FTW!!
Joined Oct 2011
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
NO! Ground and voltage were reversed. V2 sensor voltage....forget "signal". Does not matter how quickly you powered down. Something is blown (or not properly wired/soldered) on your current sensor as you should have voltage on the red (+) wire also.
Yea theres none on the red wire. Everything is soldered correctly and I'm only seeing voltage on the middle pin. Not the V2 or ground (obviously). I tried hooking up just the isense and ground pins and thats where it went bad.

So bad CS? Is that the consensus?

Edit: I should add that after all the trouble shooting it (dosd) still worked fine, its just when I plugged in the ground and isense pins (page 13) that it(dosd) stopped working. I made sure the correct wires were going to the correct spots per page 20.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:23 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,183 Posts
Ok, now you have me confused? LOL !
You say you have voltage on middle pin but not V2......which middle pin? The white wire?

ETA: Nevermind. My brain is slow!
I still think you have a CS issue that was dumping voltage/current to the OSD which would explain it getting hot.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:27 AM
FPV FTW!!
Joined Oct 2011
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
Ok, now you have me confused? LOL !
You say you have voltage on middle pin but not V2......which middle pin? The white wire?
Lol that makes two of us. If you reference page 20 of the manual, I have that same CS, and thats exactly how I hooked mine up. When I tested it with a multimeter this morning, one pointer on the neg terminal of the battery (cs was powered) and I touched the other pointer to all three solder points, I only showed voltage on isense. Nothing on V2 or ground. When I hooked it up last night when it stopped working it was (in the picture) black and white, or ground and isense, in other words.