HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:36 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkilzz View Post
Its does light up red when powered up, it is also recognize it as a MTS GPS. But still cant find sattelites.
Okay, it's working but hasn't locked in yet. This is actually normal for the first time firing up a GPS antenna. My recommendation it to just connect the GPS to the DOSD and nothign else. Place it outside where it has a clear, unobstructed view of the sky. Apply power to the DOSD (a 2S or 3S LiPo on the power pins is all you need). Now go watch some tele for an hour and come back.

Most GPS antenna's have a battery back up and store a GPS almanac that gets downloaded from the GPS satellites. When the antenna is moved to a new location it has no idea where it is and has to look for, search, acquire, download the almanac, etc, etc, etc, until it figures out where it is. Subsequent locks after that should be much, much quicker. On mine, the LED on the GPS goes solid once it's locked in.

Oh, also check your HDOP for the GPS. If it's set to high it'll never lock on. If it's set to low it won't be accurate. The default (~1.5 I think) should be fine.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:39 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,603 Posts
Quote:
I have set up my fpv gear this way. Dragonlink UHF RX connected to the FPV video battery trough a Foxtech voltage regulator. So both the DOSD and the DUHFRX has the same power source. Problem is when i turn on my DL TX the picture get some serious interference. UHF antenna is on the opposite side of the wing than the video tx. Anyone has any tips that can help me solve this problem?
If you're getting the video noise when you turn on the DL Tx then your video Rx is probably not well filtered and letting 'noise' into the signal. This is pretty common with the cheap chinese video products. In this case, separation of the DL Tx antenna and your VRx should help reduce/eliminate the problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:40 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrojets View Post
Had my first autopilot flight today. The plane turned in the correct direction and flew back home but I faced some problems.

1. I had set the cruise altitude at 200m and my plane was flying at about 300+m
2. I noticed that when the plane is flying towards home there are some part it starts to roll left and right at a 1 sec interval..
1. Read through the manual in the section about Descent Mode. By default Descent Mode is set to just fly home without adjusting altitude, unless it is too low. It will not actively descend until it reaches the hit distance you configured.

2. Depending on wind and airspeed, your plane can have trouble getting a good reading of it's own direction vs home position. This can be much more apparent when you are really close to home, or when you are fighting the wind and have a very low ground speed (5-15km/h). If it does this further out than 400m or does it really agressively (banking very steep) then you can try turning down the ROT.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Apr 2011
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
1. Read through the manual in the section about Descent Mode. By default Descent Mode is set to just fly home without adjusting altitude, unless it is too low. It will not actively descend until it reaches the hit distance you configured.
I see. If I have set the hit distance at 200m, this 200m is in terms of LOS?

Quote:
2. Depending on wind and airspeed, your plane can have trouble getting a good reading of it's own direction vs home position. This can be much more apparent when you are really close to home, or when you are fighting the wind and have a very low ground speed (5-15km/h). If it does this further out than 400m or does it really agressively (banking very steep) then you can try turning down the ROT.
The angle was not that steep. Maybe that could be a problem as I was flying headwind and for my 2nd flight this rocking motion occurred twice. Once when I was about 400+m LOS but about 100+m from where I was standing. Second rocking motion happened at about roughly 800+m. Was flying head wind at that time. What mode do I set for the waypoint mode if it was just for RTH? Right now, I have it set as visit. Is there any way to minimise this rocking motion.
pyrojets is offline Find More Posts by pyrojets
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
If you're getting the video noise when you turn on the DL Tx then your video Rx is probably not well filtered and letting 'noise' into the signal. This is pretty common with the cheap chinese video products. In this case, separation of the DL Tx antenna and your VRx should help reduce/eliminate the problem.
They are on each wingtips. So not possible to sepersate any more. It gets bader when i movethe sticks as well.
zkilzz is offline Find More Posts by zkilzz
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:34 AM
Barcelona, Spain
Joined May 2010
149 Posts
Hi,
I must say this OSD is brilliant.

However, I've burned it down... I've connected the AUX Voltage one pin to the right (that is, GND in ISENSE, ISENSE in power in, and power in in +3.3).
Result: the main PIC is damaged.

Does anyone know if I can replace it myself?
Will it contain at least a bootloader to inject the code?
Can any of the creators of the DOSD give a hint?

I was really pissed off to myself, and since it's the most expensive part I'd like to try to fix it...

Thanks in advance
flipy is offline Find More Posts by flipy
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:38 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
I see. If I have set the hit distance at 200m, this 200m is in terms of LOS?
The hit distance is ground distance, not LOS. Otherwise, if you flew too high you would never reach your destination .

You can try reducing the ROT to see if that helps. Make very small adjustments.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:40 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
They are on each wingtips. So not possible to sepersate any more. It gets bader when i movethe sticks as well.
Wrong equipment. He's saying the Transmitter that is in your hand is too close to your video receiver. I have to stand about 6 feet away from my receiver to avoid interference. Or you can get one of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Antenna-433Mh...item2562b558a2
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:16 PM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
The danged menu has claimed yet another victim
MK3 is offline Find More Posts by MK3
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:42 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpilot View Post
The danged menu has claimed yet another victim
Ummm...you mean you launched in MENU mode? Oops....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:52 PM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Ummm...you mean you launched in MENU mode? Oops....
It actually launched without menu. Accidentally hit the switch as I grabbed the Tx to get ready for the goggles, conveniently placing the dosd switch into menu mode. A mistake that cost $250

I think I just became ReadyMadeRC's best customer.
MK3 is offline Find More Posts by MK3
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:39 PM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Hey Fella's,

Recently installed an Arduimu in one of my planes. For the first couple of flights I thought It didnt work. Then While I was flying last. I turned it off in the OSD's menu, then later on turned it back on. I was pleasntly suprised when It started working. Anyone else have this happen with there AHI?

Regards

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Apr 2011
263 Posts
Quote:
The hit distance is ground distance, not LOS. Otherwise, if you flew too high you would never reach your destination .

You can try reducing the ROT to see if that helps. Make very small adjustments.
True. What was I thinking! Still have some questions though.

1.Will setting up the elevator autopilot cause this oscillation? The plane rock once when it was near home during the first flight (without elevator AP). But for the second flight both aileron and elevator AP was activated and I think the plane started rocking when it reached hit distance.

2.What mode do I set for the waypoint mode if it was just for RTH? Right now, I have it set as visit.

3. How do I start GPS logging?
pyrojets is offline Find More Posts by pyrojets
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:09 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,603 Posts
Quote:
True. What was I thinking! Still have some questions though.

1.Will setting up the elevator autopilot cause this oscillation? The plane rock once when it was near home during the first flight (without elevator AP). But for the second flight both aileron and elevator AP was activated and I think the plane started rocking when it reached hit distance.
Sounds a little like the ROCStep gain may be to high.

Quote:
2.What mode do I set for the waypoint mode if it was just for RTH? Right now, I have it set as visit.
Any waypoint mode other than HOLD will bring your plane back home. The RTH display on screen will say Autopilot<HOME> or Autopilot<HOLD>. The 'AP Hold' will only display when waypoint mode is set to 'Hold'. The hold position can be anywhere you want to set it. You set it by either the SW switch or through the menu. Then to circle that position you select Waypoint Mode Hold and it'll circle the set position. Set it as many times as you like while in flight. This works great for circling something of interest while you 'look around' vs having to keep flying the plane.

Quote:
3. How do I start GPS logging?
Set the logging period to anything other than 0. Each number is logging period in seconds. I use 5 seconds for mine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2006
440 Posts
Does 900mhz video system affect the DOSD a lot?the gps signal? anyone flying with 900 with some info?
navihawk is online now Find More Posts by navihawk