HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:49 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH View Post
Also if you like to save weight and space in your RC platform, might want to consider this... DragonOSD+ has only one printed circuit board, half the size and weight to most in it's class. I see the others still require double the components (maybe also double the printed circuit board) to achieve the same high resolution. But if you study the other systems then you probably already know this.

John
Oh yeah...that too!!!!
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
When i turn my ailerons on my Z2 i also run the throttle? How come? Any tips?

http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/ima...61475-orig.jpg
zkilzz is offline Find More Posts by zkilzz
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:35 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Stabilization, RTH, and Waypoints can all be done with just the DOSD V2, GPS, and Current Sensor (not needed for AP use, but for power system monitoring). You MAY need one extra item based on the Rx you're using.

The DOSD uses a PPM signal for the Rx input. If your Rx isn't capable/bashable to get a PPM signal then you'll need a PPM encoder. These run ~$25 from DIYDrones and a little less from Foxtech (I believe). On one side of the encoder you'll connect your Rx signal outputs (up to 8 channels). It then puts these into channel order and output it as a PPM signla on a single 3-wire servo harness into the DOSD.

The other thing I HIGHLY recommend is a TTL-USB/FTDI device. This provides communications from the DOSD to your PC to setup, adjust, upload new firmware and waypoint missions, and download GPS track data files. The setup and configuration can be done via the DOSD menu, but its easier via the PC.
I'll be using a Ranglink LRS so i believe the RX has PPM out, so i think im getting closer to a decision on this...hmmmm
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkilzz View Post
When i turn my ailerons on my Z2 i also run the throttle? How come? Any tips?

http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/ima...61475-orig.jpg
I figured it out Programmed the output channels wrong.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Hello everybody,

Almost every DOSD conection shecmatics is for one or two batteries and three? One for video one for motor and another for the servos and DOSD all with common negative?

Tete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
I bought this kit. But the GPS module dont work. Is the gps connector a direct fit? Black is ground? Or does it need some connector switching to get it into the right pins?

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/dragon-osd...rth-p-211.html
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:28 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotete View Post
Hello everybody,

Almost every DOSD conection shecmatics is for one or two batteries and three? One for video one for motor and another for the servos and DOSD all with common negative?

Tete
No matter how many batteries or different electronics you have, they must all have a common ground.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:30 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,106 Posts
Quote:
I bought this kit. But the GPS module dont work. Is the gps connector a direct fit? Black is ground? Or does it need some connector switching to get it into the right pins?

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/dragon-osd...rth-p-211.html
The GPS connector should be a direct fit. Why do you say it doesn't work? Make sure you've got the ground and power connected to the right pins on the DOSD. Does the DOSD recognize it when you power up? Does it have an LED on it and does it flash when powered up? Is it not locking on to satellites?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined May 2008
657 Posts
markeydoo is offline Find More Posts by markeydoo
Last edited by markeydoo; Jan 08, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
The GPS connector should be a direct fit. Why do you say it doesn't work? Make sure you've got the ground and power connected to the right pins on the DOSD. Does the DOSD recognize it when you power up? Does it have an LED on it and does it flash when powered up? Is it not locking on to satellites?
Its does light up red when powered up, it is also recognize it as a MTS GPS. But still cant find sattelites.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:35 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
471 Posts
Quote:
Its does light up red when powered up, it is also recognize it as a MTS GPS. But still cant find sattelites.
I have that the same on mine sometimes . I now unplug and replug the GPS from the DOSD and that gets instant action on the sats, I dont know why I seem to have to reset it this way but in the past I have waited for 20 mins for a sat lock and nothing... As soon as I either reset the power to the DOSD or GPS it connects quite quickly. Once it has a lock, subsequent flight packs lock on quickly.
Haych is offline Find More Posts by Haych
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:53 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
471 Posts
First off, yesterday was a disaster! I was flying, trying to setup my AP/RTH and the sprinklers on the cricket oval I was setup on fired up and caught me in the middle! I managed to land the plane quickly, After moving my gear, I looked for the plane, it wasnt in the middle of the oval where I landed it, it was up against a fence, motor screaming! As I was trying to move my ground station I must've inadvertently hit the throttle and without knowing or seeing, set the plane right into the fence... Im lucky it didnt take off by itself! It busted the camera mount and a slight ding in the tail but I repaired it last night for another crack tonight. It wouldve made a funny video, something different than the usual "Flown with Dragon Link" vids

Success at last!
I think I worked out why my AP was getting out of control and not behaving, I had the Ail 1 and Ail 2 set incorrectly for the output. Left Ail was Ail 1 on input but Left Ail was Ail 2 on output. I swapped these (as well as set all AP settings back to default from Vans recommendation, and started again) and the AP performed great! I could adjust the gain and see correct changes, I even flew a 6 waypoint mission! although within 600 meters radius. So thanks Van, I'm away!
Haych is offline Find More Posts by Haych
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined Apr 2011
261 Posts
Had my first autopilot flight today. The plane turned in the correct direction and flew back home but I faced some problems.

1. I had set the cruise altitude at 200m and my plane was flying at about 300+m, the plane did not go down but just remained at that altitude. Had set ROC step gain at 3 and the rest of the values at default.

2. I noticed that when the plane is flying towards home there are some part it starts to roll left and right at a 1 sec interval. About 100m from home at an altitude of about 300+m.
pyrojets is offline Find More Posts by pyrojets
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:11 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
I'll be using a Ranglink LRS so i believe the RX has PPM out, so i think im getting closer to a decision on this...hmmmm
I use chainlink with dosd and it works great. I have only the ppm cable and a bec going to my receiver. Everything else is controlled by the dosd. RTH works really well.

get a baro sensor as well as they give great height readings. When the trackers for this come out I am sure they will give a better reading if a baro is installed. (no idea if this is true though)
whakahere is online now Find More Posts by whakahere
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
I have set up my fpv gear this way. Dragonlink UHF RX connected to the FPV video battery trough a Foxtech voltage regulator. So both the DOSD and the DUHFRX has the same power source. Problem is when i turn on my DL TX the picture get some serious interference. UHF antenna is on the opposite side of the wing than the video tx. Anyone has any tips that can help me solve this problem?