SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:46 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
That would be no problem The more solder/connection points you have the more line loss you'll have...but that'd probably not be noticeable.
Very good point and tweaking the values in the OSD menu will provide better accuracy to compensate for those kinds of things.

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Apr 2011
261 Posts
Is there way to limit the rudder mixing with aileron? Have anyone tried mixing the pan with elevator and tilt with rudder? Cos when I turn on the mixing and move the elevator stick, autopilot will be activated, regardless of which mixing is activated.
pyrojets is offline Find More Posts by pyrojets
Old Jan 05, 2012, 10:05 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrojets View Post
Is there way to limit the rudder mixing with aileron?
No, mixing in AP is either on or off.

Quote:
Have anyone tried mixing the pan with elevator and tilt with rudder? Cos when I turn on the mixing and move the elevator stick, autopilot will be activated, regardless of which mixing is activated.
I've not tried that, but AP shouldn't engage with that mixing unless you have some channel bleed over that's getting into the AP channel. Try turning down your end points on those mixes/controls to see if that stops it from going into AP mode.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Apr 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
No, mixing in AP is either on or off.
I see, so that means DOSD will know how much rudder input to use? Or it is getting information from the tx?

Quote:
I've not tried that, but AP shouldn't engage with that mixing unless you have some channel bleed over that's getting into the AP channel. Try turning down your end points on those mixes/controls to see if that stops it from going into AP mode.
Ok. Will try that out.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:36 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,229 Posts
Quote:
I see, so that means DOSD will know how much rudder input to use? Or it is getting information from the tx?
The DOSD only control aileron/rudder mix IF it is enabled AND only in AP mode. It mixes in a given percentage (sorry, I don't know what percent) and the amount of mix is not adjustable (in the current fw at least). I use it on my Skywalker and never felt it had two much rudder mix. It doesn't kick in a lot of rudder, just about enough to help with more coordinated type turns. I also have my Tx programmed for Aileron/Rudder mix for my normal flying.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
261 Posts
If the autopilot is turning in the wrong direction, is it advisable to change it while the plane is in the air or do I have to land it and change it on the ground?
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2006
424 Posts
So with the board you dont need to use the angled pins you can just solder the servos connections to the board? like vantasstic did?http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15082
And i dont need to make any adjustments like software, it comes ready to use?
navihawk is online now Find More Posts by navihawk
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:56 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,229 Posts
Quote:
If the autopilot is turning in the wrong direction, is it advisable to change it while the plane is in the air or do I have to land it and change it on the ground?
You could do it in the air. I'd HIGHLY recommend doing it on the ground though. It'd be a shame to have a plane go in while you try changing things around and something goes bad. Of course, doing the servo movement test on the ground should verify the AP movements will be in the correct direction.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:59 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navihawk View Post
So with the board you dont need to use the angled pins you can just solder the servos connections to the board? like vantasstic did?http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15082
And i dont need to make any adjustments like software, it comes ready to use?
Correct. If you install pins you'll need connectors on both ends of the harness. If you direct solder you only need the connector on the end that connects to the Rx and DOSD.

No menu setups needed. You just connect and go.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:30 AM
Joined Apr 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
You could do it in the air. I'd HIGHLY recommend doing it on the ground though. It'd be a shame to have a plane go in while you try changing things around and something goes bad. Of course, doing the servo movement test on the ground should verify the AP movements will be in the correct direction.
Read the manual. Is it the servo direction test? The manual says that the aileron will "roll right" and the elevator will go up, then what about the rudder?
Last edited by pyrojets; Jan 07, 2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:24 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,305 Posts
Quote:
By servo movement test, you mean moving the stick on the tx or running with the plane and checking whether the control surfaces are moving in the correct direction?
There is a servo direction test the in the menu. In the manual, p.50
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Last edited by MikeTheCrash; Jan 07, 2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:45 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,229 Posts
Quote:
Read the manual. Is it the servo direction test? The manual says that the aileron will "roll right" and the elevator will go up, then what about the rudder?
In the servo direction test you should get up elevator an up right aileron. If you have the Rudder mode set to either 1 or 2 it also will move. It should move to the right. If the aileron or elevator movement is wrong you need to change it in the menu...I think it's Rev AP Ail and Rev AP Ele or something like that. DO NOT reverse it from you TX as then in non-AP mode you're flight control surfaces will be reversed. If the rudder moves the wrong way just change the rudder mode for opposite movement and test again.

Oh, for flying wings the servo direction test should just get you up right aileron/elevon. The left surface doesn't move I believe.

If you get surface jiggling in the servo direction test, don't fret. This is pretty common and is often made worse by sub-trim offset, trim offset, reduced endpoints, etc. It doesn't jiggle like that in AP flight, only in the direction test.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:47 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,870 Posts
Hi folks, I am now on the market for a higher quality OSD with RTH.

I am tossing up between this one and the eagle tree systems one.

I don't want stabilization ect, I just want essential info and a good RTH system in case I have a video malfunction when away from LOS.

I have a budget in mind and it's about what the Dosd is worth.

Do I need any extra bits for what I want that aren't in the Dosd v2 combo with gps, current sensor and OSD?
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:07 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Hi folks, I am now on the market for a higher quality OSD with RTH.

I am tossing up between this one and the eagle tree systems one.

I don't want stabilization ect, I just want essential info and a good RTH system in case I have a video malfunction when away from LOS.

I have a budget in mind and it's about what the Dosd is worth.

Do I need any extra bits for what I want that aren't in the Dosd v2 combo with gps, current sensor and OSD?
Stabilization, RTH, and Waypoints can all be done with just the DOSD V2, GPS, and Current Sensor (not needed for AP use, but for power system monitoring). You MAY need one extra item based on the Rx you're using.

The DOSD uses a PPM signal for the Rx input. If your Rx isn't capable/bashable to get a PPM signal then you'll need a PPM encoder. These run ~$25 from DIYDrones and a little less from Foxtech (I believe). On one side of the encoder you'll connect your Rx signal outputs (up to 8 channels). It then puts these into channel order and output it as a PPM signla on a single 3-wire servo harness into the DOSD.

The other thing I HIGHLY recommend is a TTL-USB/FTDI device. This provides communications from the DOSD to your PC to setup, adjust, upload new firmware and waypoint missions, and download GPS track data files. The setup and configuration can be done via the DOSD menu, but its easier via the PC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:28 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Also if you like to save weight and space in your RC platform, might want to consider this... DragonOSD+ has only one printed circuit board, half the size and weight to most in it's class. I see the others still require double the components (maybe also double the printed circuit board) to achieve the same high resolution. But if you study the other systems then you probably already know this.

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH