HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
My dragonlink receiver has 3 pins but my dragonlink osd requires 2 pins. Witch should i use? The webpage only has the old receiver.
zkilzz is offline Find More Posts by zkilzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:05 PM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkilzz View Post
My dragonlink receiver has 3 pins but my dragonlink osd requires 2 pins. Witch should i use? The webpage only has the old receiver.
Try the "signal" one the top one.
To make sure, use voltmeter to analise the outputs of those 3 RSSI pins.
I've asked Mike to insert small kind of note to prevent users of that mistake! The better would be to cut that +5 pin..

Virgis
Virgis21 is offline Find More Posts by Virgis21
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
How are you going to power your servos and Rx then...off a 12V battery???? You're going to fry something somewhere. The 'norm' is 5 volts to Rx and Servos. If you wish to hit your radio system stuff with a full 12 volts...well...good luck and forget about any warranty claims.

Perhaps we're not meeting on the same description. The BEC takes your 12v battery and steps it down to the normally used 5v. This 5v comes off the 3-wire servo harness and (normally) plugs into your Rx. The + and - pins on the Rx all share a common lead, so power one set of pins and all pins see the same power. This 5v is then carried via the PPM line to the DOSD PPM input and then sent to the PWM outputs. The DOSD does not tap power anywhere else to power the servos connected to the PWM ports.

That said, you can (I do) power the DOSD from a 12v battery. This only powers the processing components on the DOSD...it has nothing to do with powering the servos. This 12v is actually stepped down to 5v and/or 3.3v to power the electronics, GPS, and I2C device(s).
My ESC dont have a bec. So i need to power the DL UHF from my video battery witch is 3S. Thats not gonna be a problem because i run it tru a powersupply that has a 5v output. So dont worry about frying.

The thing that caused my servo to make noise was that i plugged the RSSI 3 pin connector from the UHF to the RSSI pins on the OSD. I reread the manual and it said only to connect two pins. So the UHF receiver got power from the middle RSSI pin on the OSD. So i worked things out Except i dont know wich of the 3 rssi pins on the uhf to use to input to my 2 pin rssi osd.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:35 PM
USA, UT, North Ogden
Joined Dec 2010
73 Posts
RSSI signal connection

Quote:
My ESC dont have a bec. So i need to power the DL UHF from my video battery witch is 3S. Thats not gonna be a problem because i run it tru a powersupply that has a 5v output. So dont worry about frying.

The thing that caused my servo to make noise was that i plugged the RSSI 3 pin connector from the UHF to the RSSI pins on the OSD. I reread the manual and it said only to connect two pins. So the UHF receiver got power from the middle RSSI pin on the OSD. So i worked things out Except i dont know wich of the 3 rssi pins on the uhf to use to input to my 2 pin rssi osd.
There are only 2 pins on the dragonlink receiver for RSSI. A ground and a signal. See the attached picture of the 12 channel receiver. I have also attached a schematic for how I wired my system. In the lower left hand corner, I show the JST connectors and wiring to take RSSI from the receiver to the DOSD. The DOSD RSSI connection does not want to see voltage on the middle pin.
cavu flyer is offline Find More Posts by cavu flyer
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu flyer View Post
There are only 2 pins on the dragonlink receiver for RSSI. A ground and a signal. See the attached picture of the 12 channel receiver. I have also attached a schematic for how I wired my system. In the lower left hand corner, I show the JST connectors and wiring to take RSSI from the receiver to the DOSD. The DOSD RSSI connection does not want to see voltage on the middle pin.
This one has 3 pinouts.

Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:47 PM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
Hey guys, may I suggest an improvement to DOSD?

Currently if your servos are connected to PWM 1 and 2, and powered through PPM Input 1 there is a possible failure issue. If DOSD loses power, it stops supply power and input to the servos. Down your plane goes in a fiery, uncontrolled crash.

What if it were a direct line in case of DOSD board failure (ie... your current sensor wire supplying power gets loose). If the DOSD loses power it will still channel a direct line of 5v and signal to the servos, thus eliminating a failure point.
MK3 is offline Find More Posts by MK3
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
Does anyone know if i can make a usb ttl adapter that will work for DOSD with this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FMS-Simulato...ht_2548wt_1037

I have a bunch of these around i im pretty they have a usb ttl adapter in some way?
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Mike from Dragonlabs.eu makes a good point...for RSSI just use the RSSI signal pin and not the ground if you have PPM connected as well.
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Jan 03, 2012, 08:37 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
Got the new receivers & TX hooked up today. Everything works great. And for the first time I got RSSI to work. My older receivers wouldn't display RSSI through the DOSD, probably due to a voltage mismatch. But the new receiver works great. I've never really missed having RSSI, but it's nice to have something work the way it was designed to.

At some point, it sure would be nice to have a compact receiver for the DragonLink tech catalog. These 12 channel RX's are hefty! Most FPV planes only need 6 channels or less. All the pins on one side of the RX would also be nice too. Here's wishing!
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:37 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:

Okay...a matter of description then...you basically have an external BEC then.

Glad to hear you got your servo buzz figured out. I connected my RSSI by just one wire. The ground wire isn't really needed as the Rx and DOSD should have a common ground through the PPM wire.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:43 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpilot View Post
Hey guys, may I suggest an improvement to DOSD?

Currently if your servos are connected to PWM 1 and 2, and powered through PPM Input 1 there is a possible failure issue. If DOSD loses power, it stops supply power and input to the servos. Down your plane goes in a fiery, uncontrolled crash.

What if it were a direct line in case of DOSD board failure (ie... your current sensor wire supplying power gets loose). If the DOSD loses power it will still channel a direct line of 5v and signal to the servos, thus eliminating a failure point.
Not quite. The DOSD does not supply any power to the PWM pins. PWM/Servo power only comes through the PPM line. Either way, if your DOSD power dies the plane is coming down. The PWM ports are powered by the DOSD BUT their operation signal is. So if the DOSD dies so does the signal information to the PWM ports. Likewise, if you PWM power dies the servos no longer have voltage. There are several potentials of failure that would bring a plane down. I don't think you could make redundancy for every potential failure and keep the size and price down...and NASA has the same issues with redundant system...sometimes bad things are just going to happen.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Apr 2011
263 Posts
I'm in the midst of setting the autopilot. But have some questions on how set it up. I am using the FY20A for stabilization, Rangelink LRS and a Twinstar II.

1) Can I disable the aileron such that it can only control the menu but has no control of the plane during autopilot.

2) Do I use the rudder or aileron to turn the plane?

3) As I am using a BEC to power up my LRS, do I have to plug out the red wire from the throttle servo when I connect it to DOSD or do I connect with the red wire inside the throttle servo lead.

4) Does AP Disabled means that autopilot is enabled?

Thank you.
pyrojets is offline Find More Posts by pyrojets
Last edited by pyrojets; Jan 04, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:59 AM
USA, AZ
Joined Jun 2010
359 Posts
10:44 inn for jump viewer.2012 fireworks DOSD Question.Trying catch up with DOsd reading all the time. I am still indeed in need long distance sight seeing flight. Can dosd overview the top one the birds eye view over lay mode, show way points? it shows the plane triangle also home i hope it shows way points- Can THIS BE possible? sure be cool, I will mark way points with nearby land markers to see my plane near them in the display eventually if?Thanks.
2011-2012 Fireworks W/in Hood New Years Flight (16 min 57 sec)
Tankogen is offline Find More Posts by Tankogen
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:39 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrojets View Post
I'm in the midst of setting the autopilot. But have some questions on how set it up. I am using the FY20A for stabilization, Rangelink LRS and a Twinstar II.

1) Can I use rudder instead of aileron for the menu control? If no, can I disable the aileron such that it can only control the menu but has no control of the plane during autopilot.
No. DOSD menu control is done via elevator and aileron sticks. This can be manipulated though. If you have a spare 3-way switch you can assign that switch as Aileron. Connect your physical ailerons to the FY20 (no DOSD control). Now when you enter the menu you can use your 3-way switch and elevator to navigate the menus.

Quote:
2) Do I use the rudder or aileron to turn the plane?
The default is ailerons only when in AP mode. You can mix in rudder via the DOSD menu. You have three Rudder Mode options, 0=No rudder mix; 1=Rudder mix with aileron, 2=Rudder mix with aileron in the opposite direction (same as #1 but with opposite rudder direction...kinda like servo reversing).

Quote:
3) As I am using a BEC to power up my LRS, do I have to plug out the red wire from the throttle servo when I connect it to DOSD or do I connect with the red wire inside the throttle servo lead.
Remove the ESC red servo wire pin the connector. You only want to apply voltage from one source. That said, if you're also using the Current Sensor it is recommended to remove the ESC red AND black servo connector pins. This prevents a ground loop back through the CS that could burn traces on it.

Quote:
4) Does AP Disabled means that autopilot is enabled?

Thank you.
Yes. AP=AutoPilot. When you're in AP mode you should get an AutoPilot Home/Hold/Waypoint reading that pops up in the screen while it is in AP mode.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:43 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankogen View Post
10:44 inn for jump viewer.2012 fireworks DOSD Question.Trying catch up with DOsd reading all the time. I am still indeed in need long distance sight seeing flight. Can dosd overview the top one the birds eye view over lay mode, show way points? it shows the plane triangle also home i hope it shows way points- Can THIS BE possible? sure be cool, I will mark way points with nearby land markers to see my plane near them in the display eventually if?Thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U18_g...el_video_title
This has been asked before. What you are wanting (OSD mapping) is beyond the memory (and current design) capability of the DOSD. Daniel keeps saying 'The DOSD was only designed to be an OSD...not a full featured AP system'---that it really is. FW 17.2 and above will show distance to next waypoint but not 'plot the waypoints out' for you on the display.
RCG Plus Member