HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Rth nearly killed my plane on its maiden! Accidentally flicked autopilot switch and as soon as it took off plane went rocking side to side and tried to climb immediately. Luckily I managed to jus bring it down on one of its rocks to the side and it only broke prop..lesson to check autopilot switch
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:40 PM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alemaoo View Post
Hi guys, I am setting up a zeph and and got it working using the elevon mixing on the dosd v1 allright.

my doubt is : on custom settings menu AIL2 should point to which channel?

The elevon vtail mix I choose option 3 ( was the only one to get elev and ail commands to work as it should). What are options 1 and 2 for?

On the servo direction test my left aileron (pwm1) jitters a little and the other one does not show any movements. I undestand that Servo Direction Test should bank left and nose up if not mistaken.

All my dosd settings are yet the same I used for the ez*. Does anyone have the good numbers for a zeph?

Thanks and happy new year to everyone. Thanks to Daniel that has made our flights/life safer and happy .

Alemaoo
Hey Alemaoo,

I'd be interested in what you find out. I'm having a little difficulty with RTH on my wing as well. There's an added complexity on mine since I have FY-20 doing the mixing (I use this for easy hand launches).

My Tx is set to not mix and neither is DOSD. This morning I turned on RTH and it went inverted, almost losing control.
MK3 is offline Find More Posts by MK3
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
No it should bank right. Right aileron up
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:58 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Happy 15000th Post!!!!

Am I a jerk or what??? Okay...now I'm going to flying with my Skywalker loaded with Dragon stuff!!! Talk with you later this afternoon...
Grrrrrr i wish I'd thought of that.

You deserve #15,000 Van, you are the top support dude thank you very much from all of us, you help make Dragon community what it is
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:20 PM
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Joined Dec 2009
99 Posts
dgpilot, IŽll share what find out. My radio is normal and the dosd is doing the mix.

rsands2801, thanks for the input. I will have to check it very closely. I know that to have rth working, I must have servo test going to the expected side.

Thanks guys.
alemaoo is offline Find More Posts by alemaoo
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:52 PM
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Joined Dec 2009
99 Posts
Van, the manual did not clarify my question, in fact, got a little bit more confused.

Thanks for pointing the way to the manual. I havenŽt been here for a long time and then, there was no manual, just us in the topic.

Alemaoo
alemaoo is offline Find More Posts by alemaoo
Old Jan 02, 2012, 02:24 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
What plane/type of plane are you flying. If it's an inherently unstabe platform you may need an IMU. Most planes don't need an IMU and fly great using just GPS stabilization.

It sounds like your step gain is to big, thus it bounces back and forth with each reaction getting worse than before. If you've adjusted the other gain settings I'd recommend a default reset to factory settings (on the main menu I believe). Then default ROT and ROC step gain is 2.0.

First, verify the ROTStepgain to 2.0 and reduce the the ROCStepgain to 0. Fly away from you. Flip on RTH, watch the plane. If it's turning to slowly increase the step gain a little, if it's turning to harshly decrease the step gain a little. I'd recommend a change of .5 at a time. Fly and repeat until satisfied. Now turn up the ROCStepgain to 2.0. Flip on AP and watch what it does. It it starts porpoising you need to reduce the ROC step gain, if it's to low in keeping the plane level increase the ROC step gain....again in .5 increments. It might take several flights to do this.
Thankyou Van, I too thought that a reset is needed, so I have done that and will wait for flying time one evening after work.

So generally you leave the aprotgain and aprocgain settings as default and mainly adjust the rocstepgain and rotstepgain settings??
Haych is online now Find More Posts by Haych
Old Jan 02, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
I hooked up my DOSD to my D receiver today. And i noticed the UHF receiver got power from the DOSD. I guess thats the right voltage right? I power my DOSD with a 3cell lipo.
zkilzz is offline Find More Posts by zkilzz
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:05 PM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkilzz View Post
I hooked up my DOSD to my D receiver today. And i noticed the UHF receiver got power from the DOSD. I guess thats the right voltage right? I power my DOSD with a 3cell lipo.
the servos controlled by DOSD on your plane and the receiver are joined together electrically by the PPM cable and/or RSSI cable. power for these is coming from your ESC BEC or standalone BEC. DOSD does not supply power to servos
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
the servos controlled by DOSD on your plane and the receiver are joined together electrically by the PPM cable and/or RSSI cable. power for these is coming from your ESC BEC or standalone BEC. DOSD does not supply power to servos
Yes good to know. But why did the servoes start to make sound then? Like a humming sound if you know what i mean.
zkilzz is offline Find More Posts by zkilzz
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:52 PM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,452 Posts
Quote:
Yes good to know. But why did the servoes start to make sound then? Like a humming sound if you know what i mean.
Well assuming that they aren't some special kind of singing servo and there is no power going to them, my guess would be that you may have wired something up incorrectly?
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:47 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsands2801 View Post
Rth nearly killed my plane on its maiden! Accidentally flicked autopilot switch and as soon as it took off plane went rocking side to side and tried to climb immediately. Luckily I managed to jus bring it down on one of its rocks to the side and it only broke prop..lesson to check autopilot switch
Even worse is launching with the switch in Menu mode...you'll have no aileron/elevator control in that menu. ALWAYS make sure you're in normal mode before launch!!!!
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:51 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haych View Post
Thankyou Van, I too thought that a reset is needed, so I have done that and will wait for flying time one evening after work.

So generally you leave the aprotgain and aprocgain settings as default and mainly adjust the rocstepgain and rotstepgain settings??
Correct, just play with the ROT and ROC Stepgains, one at a time, and make the adjustments a little at a time. Most folks say they get near perfect AP flight with the stock settings.

You're plane should be more than stable enough. You shouldn't need much step gain for it. The fact you said it was bouncing back and forth and tried to flip over is exactly what to much step gain will do.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:55 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Like Mike said...the PWM rail power should be coming from your 5v BEC/UBEC/flight pack. Most likely you've got the 5v line going to your Rx, then it's passed to the DOSD PWM pins via the PPM cable. As for the humming...probably just the servos hunting around center. If you get the UHF antenna to close to the Rx antenna you could 'swamp' the Rx and get some channel cross over which will cause servo jitters. Moving your Tx away from the Rx should fix that. There is normally some servo noise anyway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 05:31 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Mar 2001
4,261 Posts
Mike

So the Spartan one is player number two?

and not the one I have pre ordered?
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark