SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2003, 08:24 AM
Canada, QC, Sainte-Julie
Joined May 2003
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by D W
No, Fred, NO!
Don't give up this great hobby just 'cause of a bad covering job. Like I said I couldn't get it to work either, stripped it all off and went with Solite.
Get a good nights sleep and try something else.
I gotta recommend Solite (or Nelson Litefilm- the same stuff). It shrinks unbelievably well. Surprised you can't find it in the Great White North as it is made in England. I searched the few model shop sites I know of in Canada and couldn't find it.
Somebody please help.
Yep, a good night of sleep helped... I WONT GIVE UP !

Paul at oldschoolrc.com can ship Solite to Canada. Shipping is 10$ though!!! Higher than the price of the Solite itself... this is due to the oversize of the package.

In the end, 3 rolls would cost me 56$ Canadian...

I finally found a Canadian dealer for this Solite stuff.
A&J Hobby. They sell Solite for 12.90$ Canadian but its 1.27m x 0.7m... Isn't that sold in 2meter rolls usually?

Anyways, it looks like ordering from oldschoolrc for 3 rolls of 2 meters, including shipping is still cheaper than if I buy it in Canada... I think I'll make the move.

Question about Solite... It says in the product description that it has super-shrinkability capabilities... on very light wing frames (1/4" foam formers, 1/8 x 1/8 balsa ribs, 1/8 x 1/2 LE & TE)... will it warp the whole thing when I shrink it, like my regular Monokote does?

Thanks again for all the help.
Fred Methot is offline Find More Posts by Fred Methot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2003, 01:34 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Fred,

I don't mean to take your thread off on a tangent here, but I have a question for you. Is working with coverlite like working with tissue and dope? I ask because I have some to use on a clancy ladybug, and I've done a few FF stick and tissue jobs, but I've never actually done a whole plane in plastic film (yet...it's only a matter of time), but I'm somewhat comfortable with the tissue and dope deal.
Thanks,

Matt
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old May 30, 2003, 01:45 PM
Canada, QC, Sainte-Julie
Joined May 2003
72 Posts
The coverlite is different in the sense that (following is the Coverlite product descriptionit):

it is...

Factory "doped" with a totally fuelproof resin, CoverLite Iron-On Tissue Covering is super lightweight as well as stronger and more puncture-resistant than normal doped tissue.

It doesn need an adhesive, such as Stix-it, Balsaloc or Balsarite, which is heat activated with an iron.

It does have the "tissue" look and feel, which is really good looking.

Hear this... yesterday I was about to throw everyting in the trashcan, I decided to go to sleep instead, good choice.
Then this morning I thought of a way to apply it as tight as possible the first time and IT WORKED!!!

I even used 3M 77 spray adhesive instead of the real expensive adhesive thing and it worked fine too!

Let me finish this wing then I'll post the method I used...

Thanks.
Fred Methot is offline Find More Posts by Fred Methot
Old May 30, 2003, 02:11 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Cool! Looking forward to hearing it!
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber