HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2003, 04:55 PM
Canada, QC, Sainte-Julie
Joined May 2003
72 Posts
About to cover with CoverLite (Litespan clone)... Iron question.

Ok, I want to follow the covering instructions as closely as possible (set iron to 200 to tack the cover to edges... set the iron to 275 for shrinking)...

Problem is, my iron is not calibrated in degrees, only with numbers from 1 to 5. Is 1 representing 100, 2 > 200 and so on ???

Thanks for the tips.
Fred Methot is offline Find More Posts by Fred Methot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2003, 05:56 PM
Look mom, I can...crash.
Oregon
Joined Mar 2003
306 Posts
go to your LHS, and pick up an iron thermometer. There less than $5, and work great.

basicly, its a heat sensitive coil, that expands, and contracts accordingly to heat variations. you set it on the bottom of your iron, and there you go. No burnt holes in the covering, and no wrinkles that wont come out.

I would start a little lower than the recomended setting, at first. and slowly increase the heat as needed.

Side note. and oven on broil, with the door open, makes for a good wrinkle getter. BE CAREFULL!!! and have fun. I love covering. so many possibilities, so many curse words!!!

And no, those do not represent 1=100 ect.
IMCingYou is offline Find More Posts by IMCingYou
Old May 28, 2003, 06:51 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
A drop of water on the iron that just gets a few bubbles in it is around 200F....If if boils, too hot, if it just sits there, too cold. Buy a thermometer or a solid state temperature controlled iron that maintains +/- 3F and the dial reads in degrees.
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 28, 2003, 06:57 PM
Canada, QC, Sainte-Julie
Joined May 2003
72 Posts
Thanks guys.

Well I just bought this Iron, brand new so I'm going to try and find of those thermometer that you put on the iron as described above.

Thanks again
Old May 28, 2003, 09:09 PM
St. Louis Metro
Joined Apr 2003
2,440 Posts
Setting 2 on my Hanger 9 Iron works well for tacking
WJ Birmingham is offline Find More Posts by WJ Birmingham
Old May 29, 2003, 08:10 AM
Canada, QC, Sainte-Julie
Joined May 2003
72 Posts
Thanks.

I have the Hangar 9 too.

Should I use the iron sock or not?
Old May 29, 2003, 08:37 AM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
You might consider buying Radio Shack's infrared thermometer. This is noncontact surface temperature measuring device currently on sale for $30(normally $50). I found it worked great for setting my covering iron temperature the first time I tried using Litespan. $30 may sound like a lot but the thermometer also works great for checking motor and battery temperatures.

With the $20 you save you can buy their digital sport wind gage on sale for $20 instead of $30.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old May 29, 2003, 10:53 AM
St. Louis Metro
Joined Apr 2003
2,440 Posts
I tried an iron sock, but really didnt like it much, so I wound up using the iron nekkid (the iron, not me).

I've found that with the teflon coating on the iron, as long as I keep it clean, there's really no scratching of the coating at all.
WJ Birmingham is offline Find More Posts by WJ Birmingham
Old May 29, 2003, 02:44 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Fred,
Let us know how the Coverlite worked for you. I had a lot of difficulties with it the one time I tried to use it. Couldn't get wrinkles out. I never got it to shrink well. And I have lots of experience with tissue, Monokote and now Solite (which is fantastic).
-David-
D W is offline Find More Posts by D W
Old May 29, 2003, 04:59 PM
Canada, QC, Sainte-Julie
Joined May 2003
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by D W
Fred,
Let us know how the Coverlite worked for you. I had a lot of difficulties with it the one time I tried to use it. Couldn't get wrinkles out. I never got it to shrink well. And I have lots of experience with tissue, Monokote and now Solite (which is fantastic).
-David-
Will do... I don't expect much from it though. I, too, heard it was quite hard to get good results with Coverlite...

I wish I could find Solite in Canada... the only "lite" covering I found is Ultracover lite.
Old May 29, 2003, 05:16 PM
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,352 Posts
Hey Fred,

Two good sources for Solite, if you want to mail-order, are:

www.mountainmodels.com

and

www.oldschoolrc.com

Good luck!

--Doug
dk944s2 is offline Find More Posts by dk944s2
Old May 29, 2003, 07:18 PM
Canada, QC, Sainte-Julie
Joined May 2003
72 Posts
Thanks Doug... Are you the Doug from Mountain Models ? If so how much would be shippingto Canada for a couple of rolls?

thanks
Old May 29, 2003, 07:36 PM
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,352 Posts
Hi Fred,

No, I'm not that Doug, just a happy customer. Bought a Miniflash kit and some Solite from him a while back. I think He's got a personal e-mail address on his website where you can ask him about shipping.

--Doug
dk944s2 is offline Find More Posts by dk944s2
Old May 29, 2003, 09:56 PM
Canada, QC, Sainte-Julie
Joined May 2003
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by D W
Fred,
-David-
Well... out it turned out....

Coverlite suck.
The liquid adhesive makes a big mess
I'm having a very hard time figuring out how people get any acceptable result using this thing
It doesn't shrink AT ALL
I suck at covering
I just screwed my 3rd wing trying to cover it with all kind of stuff all night
I'm depressed
I hate this hobby
and on and on...

Good night.
Old May 29, 2003, 10:37 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
No, Fred, NO!
Don't give up this great hobby just 'cause of a bad covering job. Like I said I couldn't get it to work either, stripped it all off and went with Solite.
Get a good nights sleep and try something else.
I gotta recommend Solite (or Nelson Litefilm- the same stuff). It shrinks unbelievably well. Surprised you can't find it in the Great White North as it is made in England. I searched the few model shop sites I know of in Canada and couldn't find it.
Somebody please help.
D W is offline Find More Posts by D W