Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:16 PM
Joined Mar 2010
29 Posts
Discussion
Any SR owners have blades that hit tail boom when landing?

THe second time its happened...coming down to land while i am giving a little rear stick and the blades catch the rear boom. I dont know whats going on but has anyone else experienced this?
bababooey1 is offline Find More Posts by bababooey1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:20 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,360 Posts
You bet. This is common with this type of heli. Want to see my collection of Axe CP and Blade CPP aluminum tail booms? They all have the same diagonal dent in them.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:28 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,855 Posts
I am speaking from a new to heli mind but learning.
Do you think the damper's in the head could be soft for the newb and mabey a harder damper would help?
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:36 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Do you think the damper's in the head could be soft for the newb and mabey a harder damper would help?
Never land while moving backwards, sideways or forward. Get into a hover and lower heli slowly to the ground...

Is what I keep telling my self...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:16 AM
Crazy Foamie Builder
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jan 2010
910 Posts
my friends SR just did this the other day....nice big dent and a cracked blade...
JettaManDan is offline Find More Posts by JettaManDan
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:28 AM
Joined Mar 2010
29 Posts
So what other blades are compatible with the SR...any 245mm? Do the carbon fiber blades take light strikes better than the regular wood?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:21 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey1 View Post
So what other blades are compatible with the SR...any 245mm? Do the carbon fiber blades take light strikes better than the regular wood?
CF blades are expensive and brittle. Wood absorbs impact much better. Odds are good CF blades will take out the boom and the blades. Plastic blades are the most durable, but they will wreck the tail boom.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:58 AM
I NEED MORE FOAM...LOTS MORE
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Mar 2009
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Never land while moving backwards, sideways or forward. Get into a hover and lower heli slowly to the ground...

Is what I keep telling my self...
Agreed, never try to land while moving backwards, even super slow.
sNstRflyEr4G3 is offline Find More Posts by sNstRflyEr4G3
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:30 AM
Joined Mar 2010
29 Posts
Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:25 PM
Huge field, little tree... WTH
Anniston, Al.
Joined May 2009
391 Posts
I can say for certain... the CP Pro 2 and the King 3 blades won't work together. I'd thought of taking my extra set of King 3 blades and sanding them down the the CP Pro 2 size but, the blade holders on the King 3 are thicker. I could 'work' them down but, nah... I'll just buy new ones. Although, Givin' that the King 3 chord is about 5mm thinner...
Hmmmmmmm. That could be interesting. It looks that they appear to be the same depth as far as being semetrical. may be worth it after all... (I have two extra sets of those thanks to that head explosion and it's collecting dust waitin' on parts... hehehe)

Oops... went off topic. Sorry guys.
Danoman812 is offline Find More Posts by Danoman812
Last edited by Danoman812; Mar 17, 2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: I got stupid and went WAY off topic... Game back on...!!!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:32 AM
South Florida
Joined Mar 2010
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey1 View Post
THe second time its happened...coming down to land while i am giving a little rear stick and the blades catch the rear boom. I dont know whats going on but has anyone else experienced this?
Happens to me when I was landing too hard in my initial flights.

Now with a little more experience I'm no longer striking the tail, nor am I landing it as hard as before.

I also tightened the blade holders a bit more. They are short of being stiff, so they still straighten out upon spin up. I don't know if this contributed so as not to strike the tail but it is definitely a coincidence that I haven't hit my tail in a while.
jfmsam is offline Find More Posts by jfmsam
Old Mar 21, 2010, 06:23 PM
Joined Oct 2008
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Had to replace my feathering shaft after a boom strike and found that the dampers were soft like sponge foamies and not hard like O rings are supposed to be. My experienced heli friend flew it the first flight and told me they were worn out before it had ever been flown.
SeaDog-Chief is offline Find More Posts by SeaDog-Chief
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:41 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4 Posts
This happened to me as well. At first I just thought blades caught the ground. I noticed that a blade grip busted off from the control arm and thought that was it. Then I noticed a dent in the tail boom and realized what happened. Apparently this is common if you land too hard. Anyway, now I need to replace the tail boom. Is it possible to pull the wires through without de-soldering them from the tail motor? Can the plug be pulled through the tail from the other end? I'm a newb at soldering and don't want to screw it up.
fr0g is offline Find More Posts by fr0g
Old Mar 23, 2010, 01:01 PM
Huge field, little tree... WTH
Anniston, Al.
Joined May 2009
391 Posts
I'm takin' that last comment of mine back. It took a little modding but, they work great after I shaved some of the length off and sealed the ends of the rotors. They work really good in fact. Just got in from it's test flight. These blades are a little thinner in the Chord than the original CPP2 blades... just updating my comment from earlier. Ok, back out and gettin' back on topic... hehehe.
Danoman812 is offline Find More Posts by Danoman812