Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:45 PM
Pilot in Training (PIT)
Tyler
Joined Jul 2008
33 Posts
Discussion
I need help Setting up my transmitter for a BlitzRCWorks F-117 6CH

Hi everyone,

I just a couple of weeks an F-117 Stealth fighter and Iím almost ready to fly it. However, I have some issues regarding how to set up the transmitter. As you may imagine the plane has a V-tail, both cables that are coming from the servos on the tail are connected using a Y harness. I connected this cable to the elevator channel. Also, the cable that is coming from the servo at the Nosewheel is connected to the rudder port at the receiver. When I set up my DX6i to use a V-tail it seems to be working fine. However, when I move the elevator stick it not only changes the surface on the tail. It also changes the direction of the font wheel. As you may imagine this will be a problem during take offs and landings.

Could you please help me with this issue because I already run out of ideas and I donít know what is next.

Thanks

Hector
genocyber is offline Find More Posts by genocyber
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:06 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,100 Posts
True V-tail use Elevator and rudder mix together to form the Vtail, the DX6i has V-tail mixing but using V-tail mixing you can notplug a seperate servo for steerable nose gear as you find out you are going to get a unwanted result.

Not sure how you are going to need to et this up maybe someone familiar with this model can chime in.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:17 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,946 Posts
You can't connect a V-tail through a Y-cable. With the transmitter set for V-tail, the two servos must connect separately to the receiver with one plugged into rudder and the other into elevator.

You then need to experiment a bit to get them working in the right direction. The first thing to do is to see if the tail surfaces go in the same direction with elevator and opposite directions with rudder (don't worry which way they are going, just whether they move together or opposite. If they don't work together for elevator, switch the two connectors. They should now.

Next, use rudder and elevator reversing switches to get things working in the correct directions. Note that for V-tail, right rudder should make the left surface go up and the right one down (this is opposite to the way elevons work).

As for how to get the nose gear steering to work, you probably have to do a mix from rudder to Ch6 (flap) and then plug the servo into that slot. I don't have a DX6i to test this, but it works on my 9303. Anyone want to try this and report?

By the way, a simple way to solve the nosewheel steering issue is to forget V-tail, use the Y-cable to connect the two tail servos and just plug it into elevator (you lose rudder action doing this of course). Then plug nosewheel steering servo into rudder. The video review of the model mentions using just elevator on the tail. Should work fine as this is mainly an elevator/aileron model.

Hope this helps.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Mar 16, 2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:44 PM
Pilot in Training (PIT)
Tyler
Joined Jul 2008
33 Posts
Thanks for all your comments it really help a lot, and as you saw on the video he is not using the rudder capability. However, I was wondering if it was possible becase on the description it says that it has rudder capability. Probably this is wrong and I will finish just not using the rudder.

Once more thanks for all your help and if there are any other ideas out there please let me know.
genocyber is offline Find More Posts by genocyber
Old Mar 17, 2010, 06:00 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by genocyber View Post
Thanks for all your comments it really help a lot, and as you saw on the video he is not using the rudder capability. However, I was wondering if it was possible because on the description it says that it has rudder capability. Probably this is wrong and I will finish just not using the rudder.

Once more thanks for all your help and if there are any other ideas out there please let me know.
On the video I saw, the pilot says you can use just elevator but then wiggles the sticks and it's clear that rudder function is working on his model. My view is that rudder is not very important on such a model (though I'd probably set it up if I could). Good luck.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66