SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 18, 2010, 04:48 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
Quote:
I tried to do it off a hill
Dang!, I really thought the hill would work.

All hail "The Hill".

Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2010, 04:53 AM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Sherlock needs Holmes' HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! LOL!

lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Mar 18, 2010, 06:14 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,791 Posts
it's like watching a car crash in slow motion.... you know what's about to happen, but you can't look away!

Seriously dude, you have had so many people giving you sound advice, yet you chose to do it your way. Even the guys at the field tried to help you out, but you ignored their advice too (what kind of nutter handlaunches his own potentially marginal plane on maiden??). It was a BAD handlauch, and you might still have had a plane if you let the other guy launch it. He probably didn't even need to run. A slight upward launch, it may have sagged towards the ground, but with both hands on the sticks, you would have had a chance to either catch it or land it gently.
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Mar 18, 2010, 07:31 AM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
You stalled it!!!! If Your going to hand launch it, you need to throw it straight and build up air speed
He keeps doing that.

Sherlock: Whatever you're hand launching, YOU NEED TO THROW IT STRAIGHT OUT, NOT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND DON"T RUN!!!!!!!!!

Every video shows launch angles of 25-40 degrees up. The jet will not fly like that at low airspeed, especially if it's toward the heavy end of the design envelope..

But we've been saying that over all your posts.

I bet that would have flown. But to be sure, do the dolly thing and/or bungee.
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:34 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,867 Posts
I feel your pain sherlock but you are hilarious
I been there but I didn't have anyone to give me help in the early days. Listen to the guys on this thread......save yourself money and give us another EDF flyer.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:41 AM
Joined Feb 2006
2,386 Posts
maybe the CG JACK has if wrong, look at this flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelberts View Post
He keeps doing that.

Sherlock: Whatever you're hand launching, YOU NEED TO THROW IT STRAIGHT OUT, NOT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND DON"T RUN!!!!!!!!!

Every video shows launch angles of 25-40 degrees up. The jet will not fly like that at low airspeed, especially if it's toward the heavy end of the design envelope..

But we've been saying that over all your posts.

I bet that would have flown. But to be sure, do the dolly thing and/or bungee.
HET RC F-16 (6 min 29 sec)
sherlockshah is online now Find More Posts by sherlockshah
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:43 AM
Joined Feb 2006
2,386 Posts
this guy did it too, with running.

F 16 HET EDF Hand Launch (1 min 5 sec)
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:25 AM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
Quote:
this guy did it too, with running.
if someone ran off of the brooklyn bridge, would you?
i guess the point is this....9 out of 10 times running whilst hand launching is counter-productive.
what little you gain in initial speed, you lose in acuracy of the launch angle and throwing speed.

for a successful hand lauch, give it full throttle, a hard LEVEL toss and let it build as much airspeed as possible. then, when the model is close to the ground only then should you give it up elevator....and gentle at that. if you jerk the stick, you run the risk of stalling the elevator.

also, a slight down hill slope helps heaps.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:51 AM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
The HET F16 was most likely a LOT lighter than yours. Look, I have a Starmax foamy Panther that I can throw about 45 degrees up, but it's very light, has a lot of wing area, and adequate power.

Your planes tend to be very heavy because of the motor and batteries you use. Therefore, you need a FLAT take off angle. This lets you get enough airflow over the wings to give you the lift you need. Power alone doesn't do it. It's a combination of power, wing area, angle of attack, thrust available, etc.

Just as rule of thumb, you can't go wrong launching FLAT. But in your case, I suggest a dolly, bungee or landing gear. Hell, if your grass is very smooth, you can even try rising right off the grass, on the belly. This is not recommended usually, however, because of the danger of ingesting foreign objects into the fan.
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:01 PM
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Oct 2004
189 Posts
This reminds me of 20 years ago in Juneau, Alaska. I go to the local fave RC hangout: Eagle Beach.. and I see this guy doing crazy aerobatics. Kinda like first generation 3d flying... I think to myself "damn that guys pretty good!"...Then he wrecks! Ooops! I walk up to the guy and start shooting the #$%t and ask him about his plane and flying? He says that's like the 2nd time he's ever flown and I'm like "so where's your instructor?" he says, "I'm doing it on my own..."!!!! DOH! That's when I realized this guys not a good aerobatic pilot; this guys outta control!! Well Sherlock... your outta control bro;-)... do yourself a favor: BUNGEE!!! Trust me dude, listen to others that have walked in your steps! Keep the vids coming though... funniest stuff I've seen in ages here!;-)
Z
jzuniga is offline Find More Posts by jzuniga
Last edited by jzuniga; Mar 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Mar 18, 2010, 01:16 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin View Post
..... Id love to see this guy with a 120mm jet. (Hand launching) of corse!!! LOL!!
He meant that as a joke. Please don't take that as a suggestion, Sherlock

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:03 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
Sherlock has inspired me.

Here I am about to hand launch my latest scratch build:

Just looking for the right hill
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:05 PM
Long Beach
Joined Jan 2004
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Sherlock has inspired me.

Here I am about to hand launch my latest scratch build:

Just looking for the right hill

you can doit!!!!
Henry V is offline Find More Posts by Henry V
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:14 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,386 Posts
OH Yea very low wing loading :) I can do

a great job hand launch this one ,

It is so small I can flick it with my two fingers, everyone grab the popcorn and watch me in action

AWESOME PLANE MAN< one day when I win the lottery YOU guys will really see some cool planes, I might even buy that real SU 27 flanker I posted pics about before, only 5million bucks
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:23 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,386 Posts
I just came up with a great idea!!!

Since I entertain you guys with crashes and fires and everyone can make fun of me and with me, I thought if everyone here just gave me $2-5 bucks each I can get a new jet It will be called crash humor donations and will go to a good cause of ME getting a new JET made of Fiberglass (which I will not handlauch) and put all the screen names of the donators on the jet. I will not be embarrased but I have crashed over 50 planes in the past 4 years. I can fly though, but things just happen. IF 25 members send me $5bucks I can get a new JET

WIFE said the next time you can buy something expensive is when you get a JOB

Having a college degree at this point in time seems to be nothing