HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:27 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,438 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake Sopwith Tabloid (Late) Prototype Build.

Hi all,

I have somehow volunteered (not that I mind, you understand) to build the Prototype of Peter Rakes newly designed Sopwith Tabloid. Pete duly emailed me PDF's of the plans.
Peter has drawn this at 1/8 Scale, which will come in at just over 38" Span.

I have purchased a budget equivelent of the E-flight Park 400 Outrunner from my local and a 1300mAh 3 Cell Lipo. This will be linked by the 30 Amp ESC that I canabalized from my old E-fLight Apprentice (I am trying to go along with Pete's "Budget" philisophy).

Pete kindly offered to organize Cad files of the plans to facilitate Laser Cutting, but, call me a stick in the mud if you like, I like to slice my finger tips off while running my new blade around a rib template. And (never start a sentance with a preposition!), I find the process of cutting a kit from scratch quite relaxing.

Initial perusal of Peters drawings suggested that there were forteen!!! different rib patterns. But (preposition again), It turns out that the only difference between the majority of them is allowance for servo leads and Dihedral Braces and such like. The plan would also have you build up the Upper centre section trailing edge from layers of 1/8 Balsa sheet, but being a stickler for scale as I am (Years of miss-spent static scale modelling), I will be going a slightly different direction for this feature (Hope Peter doesn't mind a bit of modellers licence).

Other variations from the plans will become evident as time progresses, but the main goal will be to build as much lightness into the airframe as possible, while enhancing scale fidellity where possible... And hopefully, having a nicely flying model at the end of it all.

One thing I will not be doing though, is straying from Peters Airfoil Profile. I am going to assume that the profile that Peter uses is such as it is for a good reason.

Photos will abound and explanations of areas that I have strayed from Petes drawings will be complete and hopefully clearly understood by you dear reader.

I welcome all and any input by yourselves as this, while not being the first plan build I have started, could well be the first that I finish.

Cheers,

Hugh

PS. Please excuse any spelling mistakes and gramatical errors that may appear along the way, I am an engineer, not an Arts scholar.
MerlinV is online now Find More Posts by MerlinV
Last edited by MerlinV; Mar 16, 2010 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Editing of Title
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:59 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Hugh,
Welcome aboard mate. Getting onboard is the easy part, it's getting off again that is the problem - once I have my claws into you.

Hmm, 'modeller's licence'? Well, as long as the actual structure of the model remains unchanged, I have no problem with minor variation. That particular area of c/s is cosmetic rather than structural, done for easy building, so a more scale-like arrangement poses no problem. Afterall, the idea is to prove the model as designed, and as long as the design doesn't get changed how you arrive at the finished model isn't that important - as long as changes are minor.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:05 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,438 Posts
I agree Pete... ANd for that reason, I will be sticking with your tail feather structure (much as it scares the hell out of me).
The areas of variation will be for cosmetic purposes only.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:40 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,355 Posts
I wouldn't change the 50" version at all Pete, I promise!
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:12 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Frightening tail surfaces? Have I missed something here, can't just be a few laminations causing the problem?

Now if that isn't a none too subtle hint for me to get this one scaled up to 1/6, I don't know what would be. I WILL get to it eventually

Pete
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:25 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,438 Posts
Pete,

I just have difficulty with the skeletal structure, that's all. I prefer to use the Sheeted version with Ribs glued on either side, But I know that may add too much weight in this case and will definitely be too far from the original design for prototype purposes.

I will give it a red hot go. If I can't do it your way, I will let you know and we can work something out.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:15 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,355 Posts
Laminations are a breaze, just let the wood soak long enough and yer good to go. Just don't use 8lb balsa.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:15 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,180 Posts
As Baldguy says, the trick is to let the wood soak enough to bend easily. Use fairly lightweight strip too , as the laminations and glue layers really stiffen it up when dry.

Use a thick cardboard (or foam) template of the tail and tape the glued strips around it - then leave for at least a day to dry thoroughly.

The sheet core and top/bottom ribs (much beloved of Gorden Whitehead designs) is perfectly viable, especially when you don't want to 'see through' the tail but it'll be heavier. Laminated outlines are definitely the best option on smallish models...I'll be using them when Pete does a 30" version of the Tabloid (another subtle hint )

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:09 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Aha, do I detect someone else who remembers the Eric Coates series of articles - 1/32 sheet core with lightweight structure each side and sanded to section? A great builder, who produced beautiful free-flight models. Crumbs, I've just realised that was about 40 years ago.

No Steve, absolutely nothing at all subtle about that.

Pete
Old Mar 17, 2010, 06:39 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,438 Posts
Hi Pete, that was the prompt.
I will however persist with the plan intent.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:15 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
!/6 scale Tabloid you say , here ya go !
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:27 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Aha, do I detect someone else who remembers the Eric Coates series of articles - 1/32 sheet core with lightweight structure each side and sanded to section? A great builder, who produced beautiful free-flight models. Crumbs, I've just realised that was about 40 years ago.

No Steve, absolutely nothing at all subtle about that.

Pete
I'd forgotten about Eric Coates (shame on me). I could never bring myself to release such lovely contest-winning models as his BE12 to the mercy of the elements in free-flight.

Actually, a wheeled Sopwith Baby, with the rotary cowl would go down equally well with me - I find myself looking at that 77" plan I have more and more these days, it's only a matter of time before I give in and print it out as a 30" beastie.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:18 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,355 Posts
I do a lot of freeflight, and I gotta tell ya, I'm more nervous with the maiden of an r/c model than I am with a freeflight model! I think you stand a far greater chance of whacking an r/c model than a freeflight one. With the freeflight, you gradually work your way up to full power flights, where as with the r/c it's b*^&% to the wall and see how it goes. Nothing is more relaxing and enjoyable than sitting back in a lawn chair an watching a freeflight model cruise around the sky.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:53 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
And wondering where the heck it will land !!!
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Mar 17, 2010, 06:38 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,355 Posts
Yeah, that can be a source of entertainment too. Usually I get them back within the same square mile I launch them from, good source of exercise too.