HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2001, 07:12 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
WOW! - Got to see my first RC Turbine Jet.

I went to my Local flying field with 2 Electric Plane + I gas Sig Kadet Seniorita. There was a guy there with a Real RC Jet, JP4 Powered with a Propane Tank for starting.
Just starting the thing was a trip but then hearing that thing spooling up was cool. He took the thing off in much less distance than a ducted fan & the sound of that jet engine when he did a low fast pass 1 ft off the runway was AWESOME!! Gave me chills.
Any of you guys had a chance to get up close to one of these turbine powered RC jets?

P.S. - I was told that this guy spent $6,000 on this plane. He did 4 missed approaches & we feared he was about out of fuel but at the last minute, came in from the west end of the runway & greased her in! Whew!
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2001, 07:43 AM
What's a Member??
Sydney,Australia
Joined Mar 2000
632 Posts
Yup I sure have and all i can say is
Fastes plane I've seen is a jet powered plane doing just over 300km/h after a dive.
There's a yearly show her called jets ove Nowra, it's about 4h drive south of Sydney and they have ducted fan and turbines, very awesome
Alex
Regecide is offline Find More Posts by Regecide
Old Sep 25, 2001, 08:04 AM
Dundas, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Sep 2001
777 Posts
I agree. They are very cool ! I fly a variety of electric aircraft but EDF has not interested me since I saw turbine aircraft. The sound ! The smell! The expense ! I own a RAM 500 turbine that does the occasional "test" run in my townhouse development parking lot. My neighbours love me ! I have the kit for an Aviation Designs Star Jet that does 250 mph with this thrust turbine ! I can hardly wait !
747drvr is offline Find More Posts by 747drvr
Old Sep 25, 2001, 08:39 AM
too old to 3d
United States, GA, Peachtree City
Joined Aug 2000
1,150 Posts
One is on my wish list. I am hoping that the price and size will come down in a few years. The size and power of the ones currently available make me a little gun-shy, too much mass, speed, and liability. A 480-size fan gas turbine would be neat! However, I wonder if it could carry its own fuel?

Scott
Scott C is offline Find More Posts by Scott C
Old Sep 25, 2001, 08:45 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
12,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 747drvr
I own a RAM 500 turbine that does the occasional "test" run in my townhouse development parking lot. My neighbours love me !
I bet they do! Mind you, I know someone who has a pulse jet which he sometimes runs up in his suburban front garden ...

My club had a visit from the UK distributor for JPX turbines some years ago. He spooled this thing up in the car park behind the local village hall ... awesome! The people living in the street wondered what on earth was going on

It's interesting how loud they are close up (very) but how quiet they are in the air (you can barely hear them).

Cost and size of these turbines continue to drop, and convenience increases (plenty now run on kerosine and some even have built-in electric starters - just flick a switch and the startup sequence is totally automated), no wonder they are catching on.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Sep 25, 2001, 08:55 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
They've come a long way! When I flew with the Swindon club off Wroughton airfield, in 1991-ish, the guy who was importing JPX came out to there from London to fly off our decently maintained tarmac.

The engine ran on propane, and was hung off the bottom of a swept wing, vaguely jet shaped model - nothing like the scale ships of today. His starting gear far outnumbered everything else in the pits, with bottles of all sorts, electrics and heaven knows what else. Naturally, we all observed the sort of start up safety procedures that would send the AMA into spasms. As soon as he looked like flying, we all clustered around him, only finally moving to let the model taxy out. He usually took off just outside the pits and straight onto the air - we had that kind of space and no-one would fly when "The Jet" was imminent.

The UK / US divide is never more clearly seen than in model jets. The US - hand over every detail about you, and a first born child, to be allowed to go buy-buys. In the UK, I came across the Turbine Homebuilders Association running their jets and turboprops up in the parking area of Old Warden three years ago!

I think if I win the lottery, I shall rush out and buy - a five cylinder fourstroke radial!
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 25, 2001, 10:59 AM
Dundas, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Sep 2001
777 Posts
My RAM 500 has full autostart capabilities. Top up the Jet A, fill the CO2 cartridge with propane, run the throttle stick up and down 3 times and off she goes ! Actually I usually start it using the display teminal hooked up to the ECU so I can monitor the parameters as it spools up.

Scott,

I happen to know of the development of very small turbines in the 5 lb thrust region. How's that for a Kyosho T-33 hop-up ! BTW is your airline going for a dump like mine ! There may be RAM 500 going cheap !
747drvr is offline Find More Posts by 747drvr
Old Sep 25, 2001, 01:59 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I made a special trip down to Florida to see the Florida Jets event last year. A blast. Also to Top Gun, much turbine action there, including the F9F that nailed the cell tower at full tilt! Ouch! (that one cost $10K)..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 25, 2001, 02:14 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
I attended the 3rd annual Jet & Scale Rally at Princeton,B.C., the weekend before last. My first turbine sighting was at the Canadian Nats., in July 2000, and I've been to 2 jet events since. Definitely cool, and way out of my comfort zone in both price and skill needed, but a definite must-see for any plane nut.

Marc: I'm not surprised that you're hooked, given your day job, and your skill with the Skat!

Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Sep 25, 2001, 03:51 PM
Balsa Kamikaze
Germany, NRW
Joined Feb 2001
536 Posts
Turbine powered jets have hooked me since I first saw them!! Awesome speed and awesome sound...

Last time I saw really awesome jets was at the San Jose R/C Jet Rally in May this year, check out the pics. Excellent jets flown by even more excellent pilots.

Yep, once the prices drop some more and EDF jets don't give me the thrill anymore, I will let Santa know about my new wishlist.
Jensst is offline Find More Posts by Jensst
Old Sep 25, 2001, 05:13 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Turbines are way cool - saw a BVM T33 and a F9F Panther last year and they were great. Its like the real thing with its sound/smell and power - awesome

FiberClassics in Germany makes a superscale MiG-29 - that kit alone is 13.000DEM (complete) and then you'll need two turbines + radio. You dont use $17 HS81's in that baby and you'll need something like 21 servos too! High-end servos for applications like this run for $100-150 a pop.

Yeah - love jets, turbines too - want one. A radial too would be cool
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Sep 25, 2001, 05:34 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Turbines

Lots of turbines showing up at the big meets in my area. Unfortunately the guys are flying them like they mortgaged the house to get them (maybe they did), too bad, 'cause with all that power they should be able to put on an awsome show. But perhaps that will come with confidence. I sure hope so. I'm making the leap into EDF though, don't want to get involved with yet another "Fuel"
Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Sep 25, 2001, 06:20 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
Turbines are definitely way cooooool!

The hardest part is finding a place to fly them. Our club won't let them fly at the field because the field has to be AMA approved (all sorts of safety, and fire related issues). I guess when they crash there is a great possibility of a fire ball when the fuel hits the turbine or hot exhaust pipe.

Most of the guys venture out to the dry lakes to fly them here.

Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
Old Sep 25, 2001, 06:53 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Yes Turbines are definatly way cool. Luckally I live an hour away from where the Superman Rally is held. It's comeing up next week.
Most of the flights there are regular arround the pattern stuff but at the mid-day exebition there is some spectaculer stuff.

Though I don't care for IC planes, would love to have a turbine someday. Twin ? Why not.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Sep 25, 2001, 08:26 PM
Aloha, Oregon in the Good 'ol USofA
Joined Mar 2000
147 Posts
For the first time (but I hope not last) ever, the U.S. Scale Masters was held here in Oregon. It was great! There were supposed to be several turbine powered jets competing, but with the attacks recently only one showed up, but boy was it ever something! You've probably seen it in the R/C mags. It was Shailesh Patel's F-86 Saber dressed up in USAF Skyblazer livery. This plane is HUGE! Approx. 8' long, Wt.- 40+ lbs. Using an AMT Olympus turbine.

As Bill G. said, it was very loud in the pits, but in the air it was very quiet. Short take off run, didn't seem to be underpowered at all! Unfortunately on the final flight of the day the mains failed to extend, so he raised the nose gear and brought her in on the drop tanks on the grass porton of the field. I didn't get to see the landing, but from what I heard the plane didn't seem to be much the worse for wear.

To keep this post E-Power related, there was also Bob Benjamin with his Astro powered Aeronca K sport plane (Beautiful!) and Jerry Holcomb with his Dewoitine 338 Tri-Motored airliner (one of my favorite models of the meet!). Both of these planes were very detailed and the pilots flew them in very scale like manner. Bob has been selected to compete in the International Scale competition, which I believe is a first for an electric powered plane(?) R/L
rlinscheid is offline Find More Posts by rlinscheid