HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:24 PM
BCPP2/MSR/NovusCP
CANADA
Joined Aug 2007
220 Posts
Discussion
4g3 issues brushless set-ups.

You know, I still cant get this damn heli to fly with the batteries for more than 1 freaking minute.At first i thought it was the motors, so I upgraded, now that im all brushless and using higher mah and C-rate batteries the flipping thing still wont freaking fly!!!

Im really pissed off now, I have spent at least 200 in parts and upgrades and NEVER gotten to hover this thing for more than 30 seconds before the dumb battery starts to fade.
Oh and the pitch- dont even say it, I have gone with the least amount of pitch i can, but still a hover but no dice. I have flown 1 circle around a tree in front of my house and thats the extent of my flying with the novus cp/4g3.

Im really sick of this money pit called a heli.

Im starting to think that something on this bird is drawing way too much power and not leaving any for the esc and motors.

If anyone thinks that may be the prob then tell me how to fix it.

ESC's are NEW, motors are NEW.
user0125 is offline Find More Posts by user0125
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:26 AM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
467 Posts
Throttle curve? Not sure which Tx you use. Does everything spin freely? You can move the main motor out of the way and check. If the gear mesh and main shaft collar were both too tight, that might do it. You shouldn't give up yet; there can only be a few causes for your issue because it's still a really simple machine. If you don't take at least some form of enjoyment from troubleshooting/fixing however, then helicopters in particular may not be the best choice for you!
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:21 PM
BCPP2/MSR/NovusCP
CANADA
Joined Aug 2007
220 Posts
YES YES AND YES, beleive me I klnow damn well i have checked every little part on this thing, and yes it isnt complicated. Its just odd that it will not fly at all. All new stuff, batts motors esc,s and it will not fly.

Im using the stock TX.I have a dx7 but im not going to spend the cash to spektrumize it if it doesnt work.

All i get is a little bit of throttle power then it just dies, end of story.

Blades are balanced and batteries charged, but to no avail. no wobbling no binding in the gear, the thing spins longer if i manually spin the rotor ! haha.

Deans and direct soldering on everything, I just cant put my finger on it!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:49 PM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by user0125 View Post
Im starting to think that something on this bird is drawing way too much power and not leaving any for the esc and motors.
Are you connecting the lipo directly to the esc and not the 4 in 1 as you did when it had brushed motors?

What brushless main motor do you have?

Dusty
Dusty1000 is offline Find More Posts by Dusty1000
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:13 PM
BCPP2/MSR/NovusCP
CANADA
Joined Aug 2007
220 Posts
yeah

the Turbo ace RED can inrunner. 16 T pinion.
Last edited by user0125; Mar 16, 2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:19 PM
BCPP2/MSR/NovusCP
CANADA
Joined Aug 2007
220 Posts
I ended up changing the pitch by adjusting the control links to try to have as equal amount of neg and pos pitch in idle up then adjusted the dial accordingly, the headspeed did go up considerably, but then a stupid carbon fiber blade strike to the tail boom, that i just got in the mail split it, so I have one left and i also have a brass tube tailboom, but I dont have shrink small enough to cover the wire and slid into the tail, Ive had to cut all the tail motor wires because one broke and ive gotten some magnet wire and added new length, stagering the solderpoints but i think that if i just went ahead and put them in the brass tube they would conduct through and just keep shorting power so.

Im going to replace the boom and use my last set of foamies, at least the boom will last, and im going to give it a shot, But i ran the throttle for awhile while holding it and did some simulated inverted and norm throttle inputs and it was holding fairly good, so back for more testing.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:43 PM
BCPP2/MSR/NovusCP
CANADA
Joined Aug 2007
220 Posts
IT WORKED.

After adjusting all links to equal stats it worked finally.

OH and get rid of those carbonfiber blades. The foamies made all the difference, it is just like a butterfly now, so light and responsive!

Thanks for the feedback, I needed to vent because I have never really flown this thing, but wow is it ever agile.

WOOT WOOT!!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
NOW you'll get your money's worth out of it, they are great fun

Dusty
Dusty1000 is offline Find More Posts by Dusty1000
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:59 AM
BCPP2/MSR/NovusCP
CANADA
Joined Aug 2007
220 Posts
I just love the feeling of this heli when you do small punchouts, I cant even explain it, its so smooth and quick, wow.

Im so stocked, but I wrecked my tail rotor and dont have any replacements, so my list now that I dont need any electrics is:
1. 5 blade set foamies
2. tail rotor blades x 3
3. tail booms x 3

And I think that will hold me over for awhile. It really feels good when you know that your gonna break some blades actually flying! hahaha. Its a funny feeling, im actually happy about these replacements im buying because I know that each item is goin g to be an adventure actually flying with this heli.
now I want the 4G6 and the 2801 pro TX combo! LOOK OUT!!
hahaha.

Thanks everyone.