HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:18 PM
United States, UT, Park City
Joined Sep 2009
153 Posts
Discussion
Smallest 4 stroke gas engine

Does anyone know what the smallest 4 stroke gas engine is called?

Thanks, Dan
Rctestflight is offline Find More Posts by Rctestflight
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2010, 01:08 AM
It's Prime Time for Slime Time
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
You talking petrol, gasoline, benzine, ignition-fired engines? There aren't many four strokers in that category. Fuji imvac makes a few, but they aren't cheap and they aren't small. Saito makes the FG 14, which is their FA82B but set up for gas and ignition with a pumper carb.
b7gwap is offline Find More Posts by b7gwap
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:52 AM
engine-a-holic
Portugal, Lisboa, Amadora
Joined Jun 2007
312 Posts
The smallest gasoline powered commercial four-stroke is the Saito FG-14, .82cu.i size.
Patxipt is offline Find More Posts by Patxipt
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:10 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,776 Posts
Now this is a small engine....how about a 1cc 4-stroke...?...and a diesel at that.....

Diesel Model Engine 1ccm Four Stroke (1 min 20 sec)

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Mar 16, 2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:29 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
The HP VT21glow engine is a pretty small 4 cycle engine. .21 cubic inch displacement.
MECOA still sells them. http://www.mecoa.com/hp/vt/21.htm
Saito's first 4 cycle engine was around a .20 cubic inch displacement too, but Saito hasn't made it for many years now.
The current crop of mass produced small 4 cycle engines displace around .36 cubic inches and are made by Magnum, OS and Saito as well as the batches that Mecoa turns out in the Hp VT 21 and VT 25 engine sizes.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:37 AM
United States, UT, Park City
Joined Sep 2009
153 Posts
How about a 2 stroke? The reason I want a gas engine is because I live 80 miles from the closest hobby shop so its hard to get nitro fuel.
Rctestflight is offline Find More Posts by Rctestflight
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:06 AM
engine-a-holic
Portugal, Lisboa, Amadora
Joined Jun 2007
312 Posts
RCGF 15cc is the smallest gas 2 stroke

http://www.modelrcplanes.com/product..._rcgf-15cc.php

There's also the SV-17 at 17cc, but it's heavy, over 1Kg with cdi and silencer.
Patxipt is offline Find More Posts by Patxipt
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:51 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
You could convert any number of weedeater, leaf blower or chainsaw engines over to RC use. if you have a lathe and or drill press you can make your own conversion parts too.
http://wackerengines.com/
But usually the weedeaters and blowers are around 24cc, 25cc or 26cc or 32cc in displacement though. But I simply go around the neighborhood and find them laying about on garbage day, so i get them free. The engines almost always work, it is the pole or something else as to why the owner is discarding them.

now one other possibility, is to convert a glow engine to spark ignition and gasoline. You have to run a higher oil content in the gasoline oil mixture as the connecting rod on the glow engines doesn't have needle bearings in it. You also have a power loss after the conversion, but other than compensating for that with a larger engine, it isn't a big deal. The early model airplanes engines were all gasoline spark igniton engines before there were glow plugs.
Here is one source for 1/4x32 spark plugs, and ignition models. http://www.prcmodel.com/modeng/name/...ore/category/7
There are many more out there.

The smallest mass produced 4 cycle gasoline spark igniton engine is the SAITO FG14, which is a 14cc displacement engine, which is similar to running a glow Saito Fa72 engine, so it should work OK for the larger 40-50 size model planes: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAIEG14B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 16, 2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 01:06 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
690 Posts
About any engine can be converted to gas and spark ignition. I have seen cox .049's converted to gas. Back in the 40,s before the glow plug came out, everything was gas.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:29 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
The HP VT21glow engine is a pretty small 4 cycle engine. .21 cubic inch displacement.
MECOA still sells them. http://www.mecoa.com/hp/vt/21.htm
Saito's first 4 cycle engine was around a .20 cubic inch displacement too, but Saito hasn't made it for many years now.
The current crop of mass produced small 4 cycle engines displace around .36 cubic inches and are made by Magnum, OS and Saito as well as the batches that Mecoa turns out in the Hp VT 21 and VT 25 engine sizes.
I can't find the price on that site. . . probably staring me in the face.

Has anyone ever seen one in use.
rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:50 PM
Joined Mar 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rctestflight View Post
How about a 2 stroke? The reason I want a gas engine is because I live 80 miles from the closest hobby shop so its hard to get nitro fuel.
If you're flying planes, I assume you will be going to the hobby shop occasionally right? You're allowed to buy more than one gallon of fuel at a time...
lfishel is offline Find More Posts by lfishel
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:02 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneygt View Post

Look for the price list and availability page. MECOA puts a link to it on each engine page.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:53 PM
Fylingdales Flyer
Yorkshire Coast. United kingdom
Joined Apr 2008
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneygt View Post

Yes, I re-engined my KK Junior 60 (60"wingspan vintage) with an HP21VT. It flies beautifully.
The HP 21VT was the smallest production 4 stroke, it is of slightly smaller capacity than the OS20 FS.
Mine is the Austrian made version, but I believe it is virtually identical to the Mecoa version. It is very quiet, almost like an electric model in flight.
Many people believe they are lacking in power, but mine flies my Junior 60 as well as the SC30 (same as ASP or Magnum) commonly used in the same aeroplane by my cubmates.
Search my other posts for photographs of them model with the HP21VT installed.

Graham
BayNavigator is offline Find More Posts by BayNavigator
Last edited by BayNavigator; Mar 17, 2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:27 PM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfishel View Post
If you're flying planes, I assume you will be going to the hobby shop occasionally right? You're allowed to buy more than one gallon of fuel at a time...

No one has to go to the hobbyshop any longer. At least not anyone living in the United States. Any and everything can be purchased online or via mail order.

I stopped going to hobbyshops years ago, after I discovered that my inventory was usually better than theirs and that quite often I knew much more about the hobby than some little Hitler behind the counter.

I'm an old geezer and my latter years hobbyshop experiences were negative, as you can tell.

However, when I was just a young teenager, I used to spend weekends with a family that owned a hobbyshop. Their only son was one of my best friends in those days. Then there was his slightly older blonde and buxom sister - Carolyn. Ah, Carolyn - those beautiful blue eyes, the golden curly locks of hair, the super fine as- whoops! Can't go there from here.

Ed Cregger
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Old Mar 18, 2010, 06:32 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
The problem with buying fuel online is that if you buy gallons, you pay $20 per case (4 gallons) HazMat fee on top of the price of the fuel and the shipping.

Or you can buy LOTS of quarts.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone