HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ender707, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 07:09 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
To anyone still following or checking out this thread, I apologize for the delay.

I just returned from the camping trip that was originally supposed to occur on Memorial Day, but was postponed.

The location changed to the woods of the Tahoe Forest, and I brought the Stryker along hoping to find a location out there that would be suitable for Flying, and for shooting upwards at a flying object, and no such luck

Safety took priority (obviously), and now the next window of opportunity looks to be around Thanksgiving, when we go camping once again. This trip will be to a propper desert, where shooting in to the air is perfectly fine; because you can See the Horizon in that direction.

Again, I am sorry for the wait. I live in a densely populated urban area of California (where finding places to fly can be difficult enough ((while not taking part in AMA, anyway))) and we can only really shoot at this thing while camping remote.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:21 PM
geek.
Joined Jul 2006
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
To anyone still following or checking out this thread, I apologize for the delay.

I just returned from the camping trip that was originally supposed to occur on Memorial Day, but was postponed.

The location changed to the woods of the Tahoe Forest, and I brought the Stryker along hoping to find a location out there that would be suitable for Flying, and for shooting upwards at a flying object, and no such luck

Safety took priority (obviously), and now the next window of opportunity looks to be around Thanksgiving, when we go camping once again. This trip will be to a propper desert, where shooting in to the air is perfectly fine; because you can See the Horizon in that direction.

Again, I am sorry for the wait. I live in a densely populated urban area of California (where finding places to fly can be difficult enough ((while not taking part in AMA, anyway))) and we can only really shoot at this thing while camping remote.
Hey, I don't mind the wait.... as long as the video turns out awesome!!

...and thanks for the update...

kittman
kittman is offline Find More Posts by kittman
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:13 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
It should be good, hd hatcam and a I got an extra keychain cam to put on the plane
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:24 AM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
You said you have a hd hatcam, i'm looking for a hd camera and a hat cam would be perfect can you tell me which one you have?

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:26 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
This is my HD "Hat-Cam" setup, I am very happy with it. This is also my test video that I made right after I set it up. Details are in the picture descriptions.

I have also heard good things about the "Go Pro HD", but it is more expensive and I have not tried it out myself.

The camera I use is <7oz, and I have strapped it to a PZ T-28 Trojan before with good results (until I hit a tree on landing...but the camera was fine).

PS: The videos of the "Test Flights" for the Target Stryker on page 2 of this thread were also taken using this setup.

Hat Cam Test HK450MT.mp4 (1 min 56 sec)
Old Aug 14, 2010, 03:44 PM
geek.
Joined Jul 2006
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
It should be good, hd hatcam and a I got an extra keychain cam to put on the plane
Those keychain cams are touch little SOB's. Much better than a flycam. I finally ruined my FCO2 when I ditched my T-34 Mentor into a bayou. It was mounted on the bottom of the plane so ended up submerged. The plane was sinking but I got to it before most of the electronics went under. I've attached the keychain camera to my nerf bombs and have had several good drops and even had the camera fall apart but still work. Cool thing about the keychain cam is that if the cam shuts down it saves whatever the last file it was recording UNLIKE the FCO2. So unless the MicroSD card gets hit, you'll get the video up to the point of failure.

Bomb Drop:

Nerf Bomb POV Drop from my T-34 Mentor... (0 min 30 sec)

pics of the keychain cam after the bomb drop and Mentor attached as well. Last pic is of my canopy floating away down the bayou. I started across the bayou to get it but stopped when the water got to my waist. It wasn't worth it for a $15 part.
kittman is offline Find More Posts by kittman
Old Aug 14, 2010, 04:27 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Hey thanks for the info on the camera it looks really nice and good quality video, i've been looking at getting the kodak playsport its a little cheaper around $150.

I'm Allwaystaynfly on youtube and I subscribed to "ender707" and "kittman"

j3tman,
Old Aug 14, 2010, 06:28 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
The Kodak Playsport does not have a rotating lense though, so I am wondering how you would engineer a hat-cam out of it?

Another benefit of a rotating lense; See Picture.

Awesome Bomb Drop Video!!!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 09:10 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Yeah the hat cam would be pretty hard to work out but I see you hat cam contraption, I went to target today to look at cameras and they had one so I got to look at it. Its a very nice camera in deed but do you ever have any problems with the rotateing lense moveing out of position?

j3tman,
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:03 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
No, not in flight and not on my head. It is not exactly a 360 degree rotation, there are a bunch of points that the lens clicks in to and it stays pretty well for rc purposes.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:14 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,443 Posts
Subscribing early for the video! I tried to sell an old Duraplane one time to be used as a paint ball target, but the shipping was too high. The thinking was that paint ball guns would still be cool, but would also allow the target to survive for more shooting!

Keep us posted!

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf