SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ender707, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:36 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Discussion
Stryker to be Shot Down

Last Memorial Day Holiday, I went on a Camping Trip to the Public Lands near Susanville California with my In-Laws and their long time friends. These camping trips involve lots of Guns, and ATV/Dirt Bike riding. I brought along my F-27 Parkzone Stryker, and everybody got a real kick out of it.

They also all wanted to shoot it out of the Sky. This was my good plane full of good components, so of course I said no. BUT, I did promise them that the next year, I would bring a Stryker that they COULD shoot out of the Sky.

This is the Build Log for the Doomed bird, and will be receiving updates of the carnage after this 2010 Memorial Day camping trip including pictures/video of the madness.

The current plan is to allow the shooters to begin by using .22 Caliber Handguns/Rifles, and if the plane is still in Flying Condition by the end of the Long Weekend, the Doors Open for 12 Guage Shotguns! The plane will not be coming home intact, one way or another.

(Please note, we all practice strict safety while using fire arms, several of us are Veterans/Military, and the location is perfectly legal/suitable for this type of shooting)
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:43 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
The Components

Currently, the components that I am willing to Sacrifice include;

Turnigy 2835 - 2700kv Brushless In-Runner

E-Flight 30 AMP Brushless ESC

2 x Stock Parkzone Servos

1 x Stock Parkzone 2200mah 3S Lipo

Old 72mhz Futaba RX

No Name "Elevon Mixer"

Collection of old "Stock" parts, and a new set of Stock Elevons.

Just need to get the $20 body from LHS to complete the package. I have no reservations about shooting any of these parts other than the 30 AMP ESC. It has been good and I could use it on a future project. I may seek a cheaper ESC to sacrifice.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:07 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
Currently, the components that I am willing to Sacrifice include;

Turnigy 2835 - 2700kv Brushless In-Runner

E-Flight 30 AMP Brushless ESC

2 x Stock Parkzone Servos

1 x Stock Parkzone 2200mah 3S Lipo

Old 72mhz Futaba RX

No Name "Elevon Mixer"

Collection of old "Stock" parts, and a new set of Stock Elevons.

Just need to get the $20 body from LHS to complete the package. I have no reservations about shooting any of these parts other than the 30 AMP ESC. It has been good and I could use it on a future project. I may seek a cheaper ESC to sacrifice.
I would keep the servos and let them shoot at HXT 900's, they work but they are only $3. I'm using them in my soon-to-be combat stryker.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:44 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
that's going to be so cool to watch cant wait to watch the video
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:51 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I would keep the servos and let them shoot at HXT 900's, they work but they are only $3. I'm using them in my soon-to-be combat stryker.
The Stock servos are essentially "free" since I already own them and wont be using them on anything else anyway. I just got a Stock of 8 MG-14s from Hobbycity anyway so I am good on servos.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:16 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
that's going to be so cool to watch cant wait to watch the video
same here let us know when you post the video!
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:17 PM
More Pixels!
Collegedale TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,412 Posts
You should sell the guys tickets. The airplane goes up when you have enough money to replace it.

Yes, we neeeeed this video!
jbeckett is offline Find More Posts by jbeckett
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:27 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Today I aquired the last piece, a new Airframe. I was a little slow thinking at the LHS, they had 2 Airframes, but one had a damaged wingtip. Smart me took it to the counter to let them know, and then purchased the Good One. It wasnt until I was driving home that I realized I should have asked for a discount on the broken one and just glued it back together to be shot to pieces at a later date... .
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:39 AM
More Pixels!
Collegedale TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Today I aquired the last piece, a new Airframe. I was a little slow thinking at the LHS, they had 2 Airframes, but one had a damaged wingtip. Smart me took it to the counter to let them know, and then purchased the Good One. It wasnt until I was driving home that I realized I should have asked for a discount on the broken one and just glued it back together to be shot to pieces at a later date... .
Go back and get it. The guys will have so much fun doing this that they will demand another event.
jbeckett is offline Find More Posts by jbeckett
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:05 AM
geek.
Joined Jul 2006
152 Posts
Quote:
Today I aquired the last piece, a new Airframe. I was a little slow thinking at the LHS, they had 2 Airframes, but one had a damaged wingtip. Smart me took it to the counter to let them know, and then purchased the Good One. It wasn't until I was driving home that I realized I should have asked for a discount on the broken one and just glued it back together to be shot to pieces at a later date... .
If you get that 2nd airframe, I'll donate a couple of used stock servos, a new motor mount, a well-used but working stock motor (with a slightly bent shaft) and, if I can find it, an old 25a ESC *IF* you post some awesome videos of them being shot from the sky.
kittman is offline Find More Posts by kittman
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:03 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
There will definately be video, I have a Sony HD Camcorder that I will have somone using to film it.

Kittman,
I could take your parts on loan, and if I lose a servo or other part (From being Shot) I could use your parts as spares to keep the plane in the air, and send you back what does not get used. PM me if you are interested.

I will have my "crash kit" with epoxy, popsickle sticks etc, the body of the stryker is "Flyable" at all sorts of levels of Damage/Hasty Repair. I dont expect to lose the Airframe until the shotguns come out!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:49 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Nearing Completion

The bird is nearing completion, I got the bulk of it done today. I am having a hard time tracking down my Elevon Mixer

Any Ideas for a paintjob?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 06:50 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
get some of those bulet stickers and put on it
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Mar 17, 2010, 07:48 PM
geek.
Joined Jul 2006
152 Posts
Quote:

Paint it sky blue on the bottom.. make it hard for 'em to see it.

kittman is offline Find More Posts by kittman
Old Mar 18, 2010, 02:14 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
The bird is nearing completion, I got the bulk of it done today. I am having a hard time tracking down my Elevon Mixer

1. Paint a bullseye on the top so you can tease them when you go inverted, and the sky blue on the bottom is a MUST !!!!!!!!!

Think of it................"WHERE THE HECK DID IT GO ???"
then you flip it inverted and what they see is a taunting bullseye to aim at, then you flip it back over and they loose it again. They will get really mad after a few flips !!!!

2. Hang a small pair of "balls" (like you see hanging from the hitch of a pickup truck) on the bottom, near the hand holds and just far enough away so you dont get them caught on launch
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway