HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:26 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,775 Posts
Question
I want to build an Aviat Husky A1-C

I have been flying in this 200 hp beast of a two seater and really want to model this plane. I figured I would start with a Piper Cub kit and start making modifications.

Can any of you scale guys give me some advice as to what are the most notable differences between the two airplanes? To my untrained eye, they appear very similiar in regards to their basic profiles.

Any advice is appreciated, many thanks!

~BB
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:54 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Husky / Super Cub

BB, Here are 3 views for both the Husky and the Super Cub. As you can see there is very little difference in the two. Without taking a real close look I would say the only major difference is the cabin windows and the wing tip shape. A small detail is the length of the flaps and ailerons as well, but that's minor. I know the Super Cub drawings are for the early Super Cub 95 version without flaps, but the aileron length is correct for both ther early version and the later version with flaps.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:14 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,775 Posts
Pat, I cant thank you enough!
The full scale aviat was a treat; I had such a ball with it and want to bring something other than a cub to the local fly-ins.

I will post a pic of the full scale later.

~BB
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:05 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,610 Posts
Dave Blum designed a really nice park flyer sized one, available here:

http://www.foxlitemodels.com/
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:12 PM
Remember the 131st TFW MO ANG
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
Foxlite Husky

BB -

I am building this Husky kit right now, designed by Dave Blum. The kit include floats, and has lots of cool details, like recesses in the left wing for two LED landing lights, and even a laser-cut boat paddle to go with the floats! Here's where to buy it:

http://www.foxlitemodels.com/

And here is Dave Blum's design thread for the kit...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...fox+lite+husky

Let me know if you have any questions about the kit. I have had some build questions for Doug Hoy (Doug928) and he almost always responded in 24 hours (or less).

I hope to fly a full scale Husky one of these days...

Scott
NanoSio2 is offline Find More Posts by NanoSio2
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:13 PM
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
Hah - sorry Dave Hogue... we were thinking the same thing at the same time...
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:52 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,775 Posts
you guys are awesome!! I will check it out and get back to you; Nano, can you post a pic or two of the build, how is it going?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2010, 01:57 PM
revving and pulling too hard
New Zealand's Riviera
Joined Jun 2008
319 Posts
you could convert a hobbyzone super cub - then you end up with and easy to fix foam husky with parts available most places.

Anyway here's my Super Cub - makes mew think a need to do a husky next
kiwilama is offline Find More Posts by kiwilama
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:43 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,258 Posts
I'd use the Tritle Super Cub as the starting point. I'm covering one right now, and will build another and do it up as the Super Bear that I saw in Ontario. My current Tritle Super Cub is probably going to weight about 19-20 ounces, with the big Trexlars on it, but that puts it at only 7.3 oz. per sq. foot wing loading so it ain't too bad. Is it Pat?
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:18 PM
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
you guys are awesome!! I will check it out and get back to you; Nano, can you post a pic or two of the build, how is it going?
Sure - I will need to take the photos though first.

It's an interesting kit in that there are no traditional plans to build on (other than assembling the tailfeathers on plans printed on 8.5 x 11 paper). There are ~350 pieces, laser cut with very tight tolerances. It goes together like a big jigsaw puzzle or scale model. About 1/3rd of the way into building it I wished I had maybe done a build thread.

I have the fuselage, tailfeathers, and wing complete. I am now building the floats. After that is the cowl. I haven't sanded anything yet. I plan to use this scheme, "Pup" from Aviat's website. I am going to use yellow (but not Cub yellow) as the base, with blue and silver trim, and silver floats. The covering material is Microlite, and I plan to put all Hobby King gear in her.

Scott
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:24 PM
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
Oh - one more thing,

The kit includes two big Husky water-slide decals (just like in your pic) for the vertical stab, as well as a nice instrument panel decal and other scale decals.

Scott
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:15 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,775 Posts
Nano~
Are there any wheels built into the floats? Are there any instructions on installing landing gear instead of the floats?

I imagine with its size, hand launching will be relatively easy; however, i prefer trying to accomplish scale takeoffs and landings and have never flown anything on floats.

Should I be timid?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2010, 08:59 PM
Raleigh/Durham Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,162 Posts
bsbauman, a Husky doesn't look right unless it's on floats. Just take off from grass on the floats. If the grass is covered with dew it's even better.
DBlum is offline Find More Posts by DBlum
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:07 PM
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
BB - I still owe you some pictures. Meanwhile, to answer your questions though...

The kit doesn't have any wheels, and nothing built into the floats. The only thing I have flown off of water is an GWS E-Starter. The E-Starter would actually take off well from grass, especially wet grass from the morning dew (and slide out ok on landing).

The husky kit is about the same size. I plan to maiden my husky off of wet grass, adding a little clear packing tape to the bottom of the floats to protect them while sliding on the grass. Once I am comfortable with how she flies, trimmed out, etc. I will add the water rudders and then only fly off of water. Where I live in MN there are public lakes everywhere, so I have a lot of water flying options.

There aren't any instructions for adding landing gear, but in the thread I pasted earlier, there are posts where builders have added landing gear instead of floats.

A few other comments about the kit - in an earlier post I told you some of the neat things about the kit, but there are some issues you should look out for too. This was my 5th balsa kit, and I found it to be a moderate challenge (moderate being defined as not so frustrating that I didn't enjoy the build, but challenging enough to actually cause me to question whether I will finish the kit correctly). Basically, the instructions leave out a lot of details for you to figure out, and the pictures are poor on detail due to the poor resolution. It's easy to make a mistake. The link I posted is a design thread. I haven't seen a build thread on RCG and that's what this kit really calls for - someone to build it and fill in all the details the instructions leave out.

Scott
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:18 PM
Raleigh/Durham Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,162 Posts
Scott, sorry, I have heard that about the instructions. The model did end up being fairly complex for seemingly simple plane. If you have any questions I'd be happy to try and help.

Dave
DBlum is offline Find More Posts by DBlum