HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:43 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Build Log
Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV scratch build

Well, every project needs to start somewhere. I don't seem to build anything as fast as some of the builds I've been watching on this site. I don't know how you guys do it sometimes. Boat will be made mainly out of balsa with 1/16" ply for the outer hull. Most likely fiberglassed, we'll see when I get that far. Scale is 1:12 and I plan on stuffing lots of details in it. Hopefully they all work. Time to quit talking and fire up the bandsaw.
xx29l9 is offline Find More Posts by xx29l9
Last edited by xx29l9; Mar 15, 2010 at 05:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:05 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,110 Posts
Using you classic Mopar as a work table??

And what is the yellow boat in the background?

Okay, back on topic. Your build looks really good so far.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:17 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Using you classic Mopar as a work table??

And what is the yellow boat in the background?

Okay, back on topic. Your build looks really good so far.
Hi Kmot-
Yellow boat in the background is my scratch built 43' Delta Marine charter fishing boat...I just recieved my 2 new Johnson 970's to repower this thing! I am also still working on my modding of a Futaba radio for dual throttle control. A little bit more about the boat can be found here-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009303
I need to update that with some more pics when I get around to it.

The car....I only put the boat stuff there temporarily for pictures...my workbench is too cluttered with radio stuff right now. And I am slowly pulling the car apart for a new paint job, so although I am careful with it, the paint is going to come off eventually. Just need more $$$

bob
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:55 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Ran into my first need for re-evaluating the builder of this thing...me. The more I thought about the 2 brass skid fins and brass shaft strut, the more I wasn't liking the idea of the balsa wood keel no matter how I strengthened around those parts. Better to take care of this now then really be in a mess further down the road. Quick stop at Home Depot and a piece of 1/4" x6"x4' poplar later and I have a new keel cut out. Added some more stringers. Will need to go back and re-do one of the others as it is not lining up like it should. Also the area of the open bow just did not seem to slope down enough and after some measuring and eyeballing on the 1:1 boat, I think I have that fixed too.

bob
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:54 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
No wonder I never get anything done-

No wonder I'm so slow at my hobbies. Last Wed. I loaded up the wife and 2 boys and headed over to central Oregon for 4 days of skiing at Mt. Bachelor. Now this week my oldest has baseball games Mon, Tues., Wed., Thurs. and my youngest has basketball Thurs. and Friday. Oh yeah, they like me to be at all their games. And you know what? I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Progress on the boat- I don't like any of the frames so I am re-drawing and measuring everything again to make a new set.

bob
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:43 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Some progress, finally.

Finally made some headway on this project. After my first attempts at the ribs did nothing but make me mad...after lots of measuring and eye balling I created a new set and cut them out of poplar for more strength compared to the balsa ones. Success! The lines now look real nice and a much stronger base to build up on. I then notched rib 2 and 3 so I can glue a 1/2"x1/2" beam on each side of the keel piece to strengthen it when I cut it for the stuffing box, rudder post, prop strut and skid fins. I then moved on to the prop strut and skid fins, after more measuring and drawing the image was cut out on some brass stock. I now need to hollow out the slots in the bottom of the keel for these to slide into. I also took a jewelers hacksaw and cut the bullet end off of the new Raboesch prop. That went well. Just need some more time.

Bob
Last edited by xx29l9; Apr 19, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:06 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Progress 2 days in a row, a new record.

Laid out some lines on the bottom of the keel for making slots that the skid fins and prop shaft will slide into. A little work with a Dremel cut-off wheel and a skinny cutting tip and it all worked. Next up is marking and cutting for the stuffing box. Due to the low floor height from the bottom of the bilge, the stuffing box is going to be pretty short and sit below the waterline. I'm using olite bearing and will fill the stuffing box with lithium grease or equivalent. I guess the stuffing box sits below the waterline on the real boat, should work for the model.

Bob
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:33 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
A little here, a little there

Not a lot done lately, but took a lot of time figuring out the best angle for the stuffing tube to go through the keel. Turns out 17 deg., just like the real boat. What luck. I also will be taking more material off the top at the rear of the keel to help lower the motor position for better alignment with the prop shaft. I had planned on building a nice sealed gear box for this, but there is not going to be enough room. Trying to find some beveled gears that I like that would mount directly on the 3/16" prop shaft. Also did some more prep work for the prop strut. Need to fire up the solder iron and mini torch.

bob
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:29 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
A little bit more-

Still making some progress. Cut the keel into 2 pieces for the stuffing tube. 1/2" square stock was used to glue the keel back together. Will need to file the hole for the stuffing tube just a little bit bigger.

Bob
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:54 PM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,214 Posts
Bob,

How are you converting your radio to dual throttles?
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:16 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops52 View Post
Bob,

How are you converting your radio to dual throttles?
Hi Pops52-
This model will not be dual throttle, radio will be for throttle, steering, and lights (most likely).

I do have a 6 channel Futaba 2.4Ghz radio I am modding for dual throttle for my charter boat...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015913

I will be updating that link soon as I need to wrap that project up. Good grief, has it been that long already? Kids, kids sports etc...

Bob
Old Apr 28, 2010, 06:59 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,110 Posts
We are watching. Keep posting.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:09 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,227 Posts
If I get you a nice work table from Home Depot, can I have the old one you're using now?

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:01 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
If I get you a nice work table from Home Depot, can I have the old one you're using now?

Wow, now that is funny!! I have two boys that would absolutely come unglued if I got rid of that car (or the 'cuda). It should be noted that I don't actually do any boat work on the car. My workbench is so taken over with so many other projects that I use the hood of the car for taking pictures and laying out the big pieces of paper. I love cars and just need more of the right combination of time and $$$ to do more with them. Phew, makes me tired just thinking about all I need to do. But I'm having fun

bob
Old May 18, 2010, 12:07 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Broke some glue out-

Sometimes you can only stare at something so long before you either need to get the saw or the glue out and make something happen. Last night I was at the point where it was time to do something, anything. I finally decided to break the glue out and see what happens. I had already glued the ribs in and have been fighting with the chines. Like everything else on the 1:1 boat, the chines actually have a complex curve while slightly rotating. I originally was looking at using 1/4" balsa for this, but I couldn't get it to bend and twist sharp enough even after soaking and steaming. Made a trip to the hobby shop and found some 1/8" x 1/4" spruce that bent really easy. Will just need to glue 2 of them together for the 1/4" x 1/4" total I need. Although I have only glued from the bow to the 3rd rib, so far so good.

Bob
Old May 18, 2010, 12:22 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,110 Posts
How do they do it fullsize? Some sort of huge bending/twisting/steaming machine??
Old May 18, 2010, 01:22 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
How do they do it fullsize? Some sort of huge bending/twisting/steaming machine??
I would guess a big press/forms with maybe some steam? Or maybe laminate the wood while in forms?

bob
Old May 18, 2010, 02:00 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
I love this build so far. Your Delta is awsome!! Try to remember, Malibu Ski boats are designed in a computer and then shaped out of foam. A robot forms the foam for the hull plug. You may have to sculpt with body filler to get what you want. I usually build the hull to the basic shape and then start adding the filler for shaping.
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Last edited by Tollytime; May 18, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:45 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollytime View Post
I love this build so far. Your Delta is awsome!! Try to remember, Malibu Ski boats are designed in a computer and then shaped out of foam. A robot forms the foam for the hull plug. You may have to sculpt with body filler to get what you want. I usually build the hull to the basic shape and then start adding the filler for shaping.
Hi Tollytime-
Doh, good point about the foam mold. Forgot all about that. I spent a lot of time on the ribs trying to make them as close as possible to the correct shape. So far they look pretty good, we'll see how much filler I need to end up using.

Thanks for the comment on the Delta charter boat. It has turned out nice, still not done yet. I have new motors and dual speed controls to upgrade, plus a new 2.4Ghz 6 channel radio I'm modding for it, and the list goes on...

bob
Old May 19, 2010, 12:22 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
More glue

Took some clamps, tape and good old fashion finger strength, but the chines are now glued on. I'm happy with the lines. Wife even recognized it as a boat hull. Now that is progress!

Bob
Old May 19, 2010, 11:21 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx29l9 View Post
Took some clamps, tape and good old fashion finger strength, but the chines are now glued on. I'm happy with the lines. Wife even recognized it as a boat hull. Now that is progress!

Bob
Yep!! That's a Malibu ski boat so far.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:32 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Shaping the bow-

Last night I busted out a block of balsa wood and began to make 2 pieces that will become the lower half of the bow. First one I was making was coming along nicely until I got a little too aggressive with the band saw. Made a note to self and the second one is in much better shape. Still lots of sanding and shaping to go, but it is coming along.

Bob
Old May 26, 2010, 01:26 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,110 Posts
Nice job of whitlin'
Old May 27, 2010, 11:44 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Sawdust was flying-

Started to shape another balsa block into what will be the lower bow piece for the port side. Like Tom said, lot's of whitlin going on here. The 2 sides still need to be rough shaped a little more and then I will glue them into place before final shaping.

bob
Old Jun 07, 2010, 01:17 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
A little more work on both the pointy end and the flat end

Some more progress. Glued the two lower halves of the bow in and continued to shape them. Almost there now. Also glued in some extra pieces in the stern to aid in shaping the wood when I bend it and to give more meat to the sanding I will be doing back there.

bob
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:46 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Hull shape and stuffing tube-

Looking ahead to when I will put some cut sheets of 1/16" plywood on the bottom of the hull, I noticed when I was doing some trial fits the the wood can not bend sharp enough in places to follow the hull contours. The 1:1 hull has some very defined and sharp lines on the bottom, so in order to duplicate these on the model I will add a piece of plywood to the middle of the keel and then more pieces connected off of that one for the bottom of the hull. These are the issues I enjoy trying to find solutions to on a scratch build. Only directions are the ones rattling around in my head.

Also began to build the stuffing box. Slipped a brass tube through the slot in the hull and made a mark that was then used on the bench grinder to rough shape the tube. Since the stuffing box will be pretty short due to a lack of room between the bottom of the bilge and deck floor, I planned on using two pieces of brass tubing one inside of the other with the last one having 2 oilite bearings soldered in for the 3/16" shaft.

bob
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:55 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
More work on the stern.

Started to build more of the stern details. There is a recessed area on the 1:1 boat that has the dual exhaust and mount for the wedge in it. Also cut the stuffing box to the correct length, it's a little shorter than I would like, but there is just not room for a longer tube in this model. It'll work.

FYI- The wedge on the stern of the boat? In case your not familiar with this type of boat, it is designed for wakeboarding and wake surfing. The boat has 4 seperate ballast tanks (1 in the bow, 1 midships, 2 in the stern) that can be filled/drained by pumps to lower the boat in the water to change the wake shape. All 4 tanks add up to about 1900 lbs. of ballast. If you want an even bigger wake, you can reach through an access door on the swim platform and lower the wedge down. The wedge will provide another 1200 lbs. of downforce. Yes, it can make a huge wake. No, I am not good enough to use it. My 2 boys like it though...

The newer Malibu models have a hydraulic wedge controlled from the dash.

bob
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:31 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
More work on hull-

Middle chines were glued in. Looks good and straight. Next up will be starting to fill in those big gaps in the bottom of the hull.

bob
Old Jun 19, 2010, 01:04 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,110 Posts
Really starting to look like you have a boat now!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:23 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Malibu Corvette

Since we have come to this intersection of the build, there are some considerations that should be made.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:48 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Since we have come to this intersection of the build, there are some considerations that should be made.
Ahhh yes, the Corvette boat. Small history on the 1:1 boat- Malibu has a deal with Chevrolet to produce a limited Corvette edition. Besides the obvious Corvette engine, Malibu tweaks the boat to bring in lots of things from the car, like the rear tail lights, exhaust, seats, windows etc...I sat in a black one at a dealership once. Very nice, very expensive. But me, being the diehard Mopar guy...I would take too much grief for ever being seen in one. Now if Malibu built a '70 hemi 'cuda version. Hmmmm....
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:00 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
If Malibu can build me one to match mine, i might consider buying a new boat!
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:24 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,984 Posts
Cool! similar to a couple of models of Chris Crafts that were made in the late 1950's... car styling on the water...

"Corvette boat" is a nice looking design.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:45 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,110 Posts
Looks like the pay scale for Canuck CG occifers ain't too shabby!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:23 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,984 Posts
Coasties earn every penny!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:48 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Haha, thanks guys, I drove a clunker of a truck for a decade, my turn for new and shiny. (four months in the arctic gets a nice down payment its cheaper than most new trucks any how!

XX2919,
Are you going to do the Corvette design for yours or are you going to stick with a replica of yours? Do you plan on also doing a boat trailer as well? I keep thinking of doing a replica of my pleasure boat, but its not nearly as nice looking as yours!
Question about the stern, read the bit on ballast and the wedge, really cool stuff, haven't heard of that before (the wedge) will you be adding that in the model, maybe a servo controlled wedge? and about the stern construction, I am guessing you'll be applying some fiberglass to the hull once its been built, in that case, why stress about bending the ply around the transom, wouldn't it be a little easier to shape out of balsa? or are you looking to get some space in the stern for trim tabs or something? just curious,
I like this build, most people just buy a fast electric off the shelf and then look like every other boat on the pond. Yours is going to look great, keep up the work!
Regards
G-O
Last edited by Guard-Officer; Jun 22, 2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:49 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard-Officer View Post

XX2919,
Are you going to do the Corvette design for yours or are you going to stick with a replica of yours? Do you plan on also doing a boat trailer as well? I keep thinking of doing a replica of my pleasure boat, but its not nearly as nice looking as yours!
Question about the stern, read the bit on ballast and the wedge, really cool stuff, haven't heard of that before (the wedge) will you be adding that in the model, maybe a servo controlled wedge? and about the stern construction, I am guessing you'll be applying some fiberglass to the hull once its been built, in that case, why stress about bending the ply around the transom, wouldn't it be a little easier to shape out of balsa? or are you looking to get some space in the stern for trim tabs or something? just curious,
I like this build, most people just buy a fast electric off the shelf and then look like every other boat on the pond. Yours is going to look great, keep up the work!
Regards
G-O
Hi G-O,
Nice car...the model will be built after my 1:1 boat, no Corvette conversion at this time. Trailer for it? Yup, that is part of the master plan. I will build a stand for it in the short term and then a trailer later. I have R/C Clodbuster with a Dodge RAM body on it painted close to my truck that will make a good tow rig for this. The stern construction- well, looking back now, I probably should have just put a block of balsa back there and shaped it. What was I thinking? I'm not so sure now Must have been some reason at the time. Servo controller wedge, sounds like a good idea, I was going to build the wedge but leave it to manually put up and down like the real one. I keep going back to my build mantra of "if it's on the real boat, it needs to be on the model". I know Walmart had Malibu boats close to this one, but you really get what you pay for, a $25.00 dollar model. If everything works as planned, this should turn out to be a pretty unique model. Time will tell.

bob
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:46 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Starting to fill in the big holes in the bottom of hull.

Getting ready to start putting in the 1/16" ply for the bottom of the hull. I needed to firm up the area along the chine for the plank to line up with and prevent it from bowing/flexing too much. A 1/8x5/8" piece of spruce was glued over the top of the chine and then a piece of 1/8x1/4" spruce under that butted up to the chine. This gives a nice shelf for the hull pieces to be glued to and provides the 1/8" of the chine to show on the edge. Not bad. Hopefully pics show what I mean.

bob
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:57 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Starting to glue the bottom of the hull-

Glued the first 2 pieces that mate to the center section of the hull down last night. Turned out good. Will need some filler and sanding, but doesn't look like too much. Also started to cut out and shape the next pieces that will fill out the last of the bottom of hull. Looks ready for a float test. Or not.

bob
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:23 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
The "Dude" shows up-

Got the last 2 pieces for the bottom of the hull glued on and the local wakeboarder guy shows up to see what's up with this boat he's heard about. Don't even know his name, I think it's "Dude". He likes what he sees and is already talking about getting time behind the boat and riding some big nasty waves.

him- "Dude, this boat is going to rock. Can't wait to load her down and ride some nasty curl waves"

me- "Got some gas money to chip in there Sparky?"

him- "Dude, when that pizza delivery job pulls through for me, I will be rollin thick in serious caaaaashhhh!"

me- "allrighty then."

Anyway, now I will start shaping the balsa blocks for the bow and fitting the 1/16" ply for the sides of the hull under the watchful eye of the Dude.

bob
Old Jul 07, 2010, 04:59 AM
Joined Jun 2010
1 Posts
Bob,
Looks like your model is coming along nicely..... I'm considering building a 1:4/1:5 scale version of a Wakesetter myself but I can't seem to find any good pics to use to scale up from, and I'm not lucky enough to have the real thing sitting in my garage. Where did you get the pics from that you used to scale up from?

Rob.
rjn76 is offline Find More Posts by rjn76
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:30 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn76 View Post
Bob,
Looks like your model is coming along nicely..... I'm considering building a 1:4/1:5 scale version of a Wakesetter myself but I can't seem to find any good pics to use to scale up from, and I'm not lucky enough to have the real thing sitting in my garage. Where did you get the pics from that you used to scale up from?

Rob.
Hi Rob-
Sorry for the slow response, just got back from a vacation. I use the Malibu sales brochure for general hull shape/outline. My boat is a 2005 and I couldn't find an "05 brochure so I modded the outline from the "08 hull which is pretty close as it is. I tried to blow up the side and top views I wanted to use from the brochure, but they didn't blow up very well, too small to enlarge without losing detail. That's where I ended up drawing things on my own.

Good luck with your project. Ask any question you have and I'll see what I can do.

Bob
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:24 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Trying to make the pointy end more pointy.

I previously had 2 halves that formed the upper bow pieces I was working on. I then began looking at a bigger block of balsa to maybe form 1 single piece. This was my backup plan to help keep everything in line. It may not look like it in the pictures, but the work so far has been well over an hour of shaping (whitlin') with lots more time needed. I'm leaning towards using this new bow piece, we'll see how it turns out in the end.

Bob
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:53 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Fired up the saw and drill-

Needed a break from working on my long overdue Christmas presents. Went out to the garage to take a look at the 'bu project. Made a paper template to cut out the (2) 1/2" exhaust ports. Started looking at the balsa block I was carving for the bow piece and decided I will go with (2) 1/16" ply pieces running the whole length of the boat. There is not much vertical bending (cupping) on the profile here so this should work. Also began shaping a piece of ply that will be the lower stern piece. Looks to be a good fit so far. More updates as time allows.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:09 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,227 Posts
Good to see a more progress on your malibu.

As for the Corvette boat, it seems like it falls a bit short.
If they could capture a bit more body style rather than a few
accessories on the exterior, it might start to look good...
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:54 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Good to see a more progress on your malibu.

As for the Corvette boat, it seems like it falls a bit short.
If they could capture a bit more body style rather than a few
accessories on the exterior, it might start to look good...
Nice work on the Photoshop Umi! I like your newer version better. Now you just need to make it affordable.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 01:04 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Lower stern piece glued on-

After some shaping, broke out the glue and stuck the lower stern section on. All went well. Still needs final shaping on outer edges to match up with pieces that will run from stern to bow.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 07:38 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
This thread added to WOODIES: Wooden Pleasure Craft Build Logs listing.

Path: RCGroups -> Boats -> Scale Boats ->"WOODIES..."

Looking real sweet...
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2011, 10:28 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
This thread added to WOODIES: Wooden Pleasure Craft Build Logs listing.

Path: RCGroups -> Boats -> Scale Boats ->"WOODIES..."

Looking real sweet...
Holy Cow...now the pressure is on to keep this build actually moving forward! Thanks Craig!
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:46 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Less talk, more work, keep it moving please!
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:28 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Less talk, more work, keep it moving please!
Aye!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:24 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Looking ahead for power-

Looking ahead to what will power this thing...I have never used a brushless motor setup before and am thinking of trying it out here....anybody ever use this combo?

Traxxas Velineon Waterproof Brushless System

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXWM5&P=ML

Comments- good/bad/indifferent?

Other combos you like better? I've had good luck with Novak products in the past and they seem to have quite a selection of brushless motor/esc combo's.

I'm not looking to set speed records with this boat. But I am a firm believer in having too much power is never a bad thing. Always easier/cheaper to slow something down than it is to speed it up. I will start with a Raboesch 4 blade prop with a 1.5:1 gear reduction. If the prop can't handle it, I will look more towards an Octura performance prop.

I'm thinking I will also end up going with LiPo's due to space constraints. Also something new for me. I would like to welcome me to 2011.

Bob
Last edited by xx29l9; Apr 21, 2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 09:17 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,624 Posts
Caveat, I don't like car ESC's, and its a lot more than you need to spend IMHO.

The motor Kv is way too high for a direct drive 40 mm prop (saw the prop in your earlier post) on 2 cell Li-po something around the 2000 Kv and 3 cell no more than 1300 Kv, this will give about 14000 RPM, for a more conservative setup, aim for around 10-11000 RPM

Probably dont need reverse , so a air esc in the 60 amp range (especially for 2 cell) 3 cell a 40 would probably cover it, and a 28 or 36 mm out-runner or 540X or XL style in-runner

To make the ESC waterproof some non acidic cure silicone into each end of the heat shrink will seal it up.

2S

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6526

or

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3885

3S

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6525

or

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3887

Nice ESC I have used (until it went to Davy Jones locker)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2166

Just as some examples for you

Cheers
Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:54 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au View Post
Caveat, I don't like car ESC's, and its a lot more than you need to spend IMHO.

The motor Kv is way too high for a direct drive 40 mm prop (saw the prop in your earlier post) on 2 cell Li-po something around the 2000 Kv and 3 cell no more than 1300 Kv, this will give about 14000 RPM, for a more conservative setup, aim for around 10-11000 RPM

Probably dont need reverse , so a air esc in the 60 amp range (especially for 2 cell) 3 cell a 40 would probably cover it, and a 28 or 36 mm out-runner or 540X or XL style in-runner

To make the ESC waterproof some non acidic cure silicone into each end of the heat shrink will seal it up.

2S

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6526

or

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3885

3S

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6525

or

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3887

Nice ESC I have used (until it went to Davy Jones locker)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2166

Just as some examples for you

Cheers
Nick
Hey Nick-
Thanks for the good info...but I do need reverse...the 1:1 boat has it, so the model will to. I plan on building 2 gear reductions, one will be 1.5:1 and the other 2:1. Depending on the motor and prop I end up with I can swap out the gear reduction units for better performance.

Enjoy the onslaught of winter it has been a long cold one here....

Bob
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:05 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,624 Posts
Thats cool, , they do cheap car controllers as well with reverse, I have two 30 amp ones so far they have been really good. Only reason I thought reverse not required is the fact that my ski boat model swamps its a** if I use reverse I ended up disabling the reverse, the option is there to enable a percentage of reverse though.

The system you linked to will be fine with the ratios you state

Winters in my part of the world are great, usually clear skys, temps around 20-25 degs C but chilly nights, some years we might get a frost

Cheers
Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:17 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au View Post
Thats cool, , they do cheap car controllers as well with reverse, I have two 30 amp ones so far they have been really good. Only reason I thought reverse not required is the fact that my ski boat model swamps its a** if I use reverse I ended up disabling the reverse, the option is there to enable a percentage of reverse though.

The system you linked to will be fine with the ratios you state

Winters in my part of the world are great, usually clear skys, temps around 20-25 degs C but chilly nights, some years we might get a frost

Cheers
Nick
Yup, biggest problem with the 1:1 boat is if you drop a boarder and slow down and turn straight into your wake too fast you will bury the bow and take the wave over the bow (chili dip). Not cool.

"Some years we might get a frost". Lucky, the calender says we are supposed to be well past freezing temps, but I just saw they are predicting a frost tonight. Ugh.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:08 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
So Bob,

How is the WakeSetter project coming??
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:48 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
So Bob,

How is the WakeSetter project coming??
Wellllll, slow would be over exaggerating. What little hobby time I've had lately has been put to finishing my late Christmas presents. What started out as me building 1 simple cartoonish model of my brother-in-laws charter boat to use as a Christmas ornament took on a whole new life. Right now it stands at 5 boats with a lot more detail than I thought I would put into them. That is so typical of my projects...I need to learn to say enough and be done instead of "well wouldn't it be cool to add just one more thing...". Oh well, they have turned out much better than I was hoping for.Besides the original yellow boat, my brother-in-law bought into an ownership on another boat, so of course I had to make that one too. The other owner is one of the old time skippers in the area and his health is not good, so I'm doing my best to finish this up as quick as I can. Anyway, these little guys are almost done, then it will be on to the Malibu...and the radio... and the charter boat refurb...etc...

Bob
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:55 AM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,202 Posts
The detours is what makes the life worth living

Robert
Sharky1dk is offline Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Sep 20, 2011, 06:48 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
It only looks like nothing is going on....

Ok, summer vacations and what not are over, kids back to school...time to look at the hobbies again. I have been working on the first 2 pieces of wood to make the lower sides of the hull. Something just wasn't right with the lines down the side from midship forward. Measurements all looked good, but didn't pass the eyeball test. Been fighting with it for over a week now and I think I have a solution. Will post pics when I have it worked out.
Last edited by xx29l9; Sep 20, 2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:29 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Wood chips are flying once again-

It's only 2 pieces of wood, how hard can it be? These 2 pieces of wood have been causing me a headache for a long time now. If you look directly at the side of the boat from bow to stern at the chrome rub rail, it slopes up slightly to about the window then flattens out for awhile before sloping down towards the stern. Easy enough to draw a side view of, but when trying to bend and shape a piece of wood to wrap around all the added curves.... After several attempts I finally have the shape that passes the eyeball test. Now to glue them on.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:39 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Cool!
Its those little details that will make the difference!
Looking forward to any progress!
Cheers
G-O
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:48 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Thanks G-O! True, as time consuming as it is...much easier to make changes now than later. During the summer when we were anchored in a cove just relaxing, some people in a boat not far from us dropped a RTR type r/c boat in the water and ran it around. People went nuts and thought that was so cool. I'm hoping to have mine ready for some water trials by late spring. Would love to pull out this model of the 1:1 boat complete with all the secret features I'm looking to put into this thing... Need to give myself a kick in the butt to get moving on these things.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:38 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Broke the glue out

Like I've said before, sometimes you get to a point where it is either time to glue something on, get the saw out or get off the pot. Or some saying close to that. Started to glue the bottom piece of the sides on. Lot's of bends and twists needed. I use tape, clamps and whatever else available to hold things together while the glue sets. Sides aren't perfectly straight, but it shouldn't take too much filler later on to make it real nice.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 01:38 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,110 Posts
Well, it looks like something so that is a good sign!
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:11 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Bow taking shape

Good to see the pointy end of the boat actually looking pointy. Finished gluing the 2 lower side pieces all the way to the bow. Took out the Dremel with a sanding disk and started to rough in the sides to meet the chine. Then broke out the Black and Decker mouse sander for the detail and finishing sanding. About 20 seconds into work plastic pieces start launching themselves from within the sander. Arrgggh The sander disintegrated right in front of me. Guess it's time to buy a new one. Got about 8 years of service for this one.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 09:51 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Sweeet!
Looks good! dremels new weapon is a multi tool, its pretty slick too.
Keep us posted, its looking really god!
Cheers
G-O
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:03 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
More work on the sides and bow. Began shaping the upper side pieces that will run from the stern to the bow. Again, looks easy enough when viewed from the side, but the wood has to make several twists in it to fit right. I thought I might be able to bend the wood enough to glue it all the way to the nose on the bow, but it is too much of a twist. I glued 2 small balsa blocks on the nose and began to shape them. The side pieces will then meet up with the blocks. Pics show the progress.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:15 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Rounding the stern

Decided to do some quick work on the sterns upper piece. Some time ago G-O asked why I didn't just glue a block of balsa across the whole stern and shape that. I probably should have, but I did it this way for some reason, just can't remember why now. I started out by thinking the upper trim piece would be one chunk of 1/16" ply bent across the stern. Didn't work out that way, the bend at the corners was too sharp to really make. So 2 blocks of balsa got glued into the corners and I will carve on those.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:42 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
I little bit of time with the Dremel and mouse sander...stern is looking pretty good. Will wait for final shaping after I get the 2 upper side pieces put on.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:15 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Sometimes you have to bust the pieces off and start over

Started gluing the top side pieces on. Starboard side went on nice. Almost had the port side fully glued on when I started to eyeball it better. Arrrgh, had to rip it off and start over. Didn't pass the eyeball test. New piece of wood will be cut out for it tonight. Still need to shape the balsa nose piece to meet up with the top side parts.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:35 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Still making progress

Work continues as the hull continues to be refined. Cleaned up the stern area where the cushions for the engine cover will be. Also began shaping the piece to sit on top of the sides from bow to stern. Lots of measuring and cutting/sanding, but it's getting there, one piece at a time.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:00 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
wow that is looking awesome! keep up the great work!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:20 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Now it's getting interesting-

Thanks G-O...I do what I can.

More sanding and shaping of the hull. The 1"x3"x1/16" piece of wood I had in the center of the stern had a small warp in it. Every time I looked at it it would drive me crazy. I'm sure a little filler would have taken care of it. Nope, I had to bust it off and put a new piece of wood in. Slept much better last night. Sometimes I wonder if I was to start over all the things I would do different now and how to make it better, then I busted out the wood filler and used a thin coat in a few low spots. Wow, I was pretty happy with the hull shape, but all of the sudden I am really happy. Some more sanding and a little more filler and this thing is going to be looking really nice. I didn't get any pics after the first coat of filler, more to follow.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:43 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,227 Posts
Been a long haul, but it's coming together nicely.

Old Nov 01, 2011, 03:48 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
[QUOTE=Umi_Ryuzuki;19746392]Been a long haul, but it's coming together nicely.

[/QUOTE

Are you saying I'm slow... I only started this thread 596 days ago and just recently have something that resembles a hull. Looks like I'm right on schedule...

I did swing by West Marine today and pick up some of their epoxy resin just to have it when I'm ready.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:24 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Thinking ahead. Again.

While waiting for some wood filler to dry, I thought I better start to see how things will physically fit in the boat. Looks like my guesstimates were about right. There is room for 2 battery packs under the cushions on each side. The motor in the pic is a 550 sized brushed. I am leaning towards a brushless motor to help save space. According to the scale power formula posted by CG Bob in another thread, I need about 151 watts for the model. Which means I will probably look at something in the 400-500 watt range. I will not build an under powered boat! The worst question I could hear "is that all the faster it goes?". I don't feel like trying to explain scale speed to someone. Easier to run at half throttle then try to to re-power later for more speed. Will probably go with 2 LiPo battery packs in place of the NiCads in the pic.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:14 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Don't need a ruler-

The next time I can use a ruler to draw a straight line to be cut out will be the first. So far, nothing on this boat is straight, everything has some kind of bend, twist or combination. Keeps it interesting I guess. I cut out and worked on 2 pieces of wood that form the base for the windshield to be mounted on. It may not look like anything special, but the pieces have some complex shaping on them. Awhile back I mentioned adding to triangle pieces under the upper deck piece to provide the correct slant to it, well now these pieces try to cancel that out so the windshield will be a continuous flat edge on its bottom. The outside curve is the thickest point and the wood was sanded thinner as it goes both towards the middle and down the side. And the outside edges are beveled for fun. Also marked out and cut the slots for the fresh air vents, not sure if I will make these actually functional on the model. Maybe, we'll see.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:44 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
The eyes have it

Here I go again, can't leave well enough alone. If I was to go back to day one on this build, here is a change I would make. The rib that sits right under the windshield has a shape that pushes the chine a little lower than it should be by the time you bend the wood around it. Instead of a smooth line from the bow sweeping down the side of the boat, it has a slight bump in it...Probably could have left it alone and only I would have known. But the more I thought about it I wondered with the model was running at a fairly fast speed if this bump might cause some porposing? That and the fact it was driving me crazy again the more I looked at it made me do something about it. Got out the masking tape and used it to put a new line down the side that I can use the Dremel sander on to bring it to where I want it. Luckily there is plenty of wood in that area to sand on. This will be done on both sides.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:17 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
whoa... that is awesome!
mk2driver is offline Find More Posts by mk2driver
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:55 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
whoa... that is awesome!
Thanks mk2! I don't have any pics this morning, but last night I revved up the Dremel and got rid of those annoying bumps on the chines. Wow, glad I did that as it changed the look for the better. I'm mucho pleased.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:07 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,906 Posts
Quote:
The worst question I could hear "is that all the faster it goes?"
Hi xx29l9,

As result of the rather steep propshaft angle, the answer to that question may very well turn out to be: "yes".

Installing too much power will push the bow down (or the stern up) making the boat run very wet and slow, while the motor will draw a lot of amps.

I only just stumbled upon your build, otherwise I'would have warned you (much) earlier.

Going fast with a modelboat requires a propshaft angle that's as shallow as possible.
This means either using a very long shaft, and the motor way up front under the foredeck, or using a flexshaft, which will allow you to run the shaft parallel to the keelline.

My personal objection to using a flexshaft in a semi scale model is the necessity to pull the flexshaft after every day of running the boat, to dry it and re-grease it.
Failing to do so will cause the shaft to rust solid in a matter of weeks...(or days, if you're running in salt water).

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:11 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled View Post
Hi xx29l9,

As result of the rather steep propshaft angle, the answer to that question may very well turn out to be: "yes".

Installing too much power will push the bow down (or the stern up) making the boat run very wet and slow, while the motor will draw a lot of amps.

I only just stumbled upon your build, otherwise I'would have warned you (much) earlier.

Going fast with a modelboat requires a propshaft angle that's as shallow as possible.
This means either using a very long shaft, and the motor way up front under the foredeck, or using a flexshaft, which will allow you to run the shaft parallel to the keelline.

My personal objection to using a flexshaft in a semi scale model is the necessity to pull the flexshaft after every day of running the boat, to dry it and re-grease it.
Failing to do so will cause the shaft to rust solid in a matter of weeks...(or days, if you're running in salt water).

Regards, Jan.
Hi Jan-
Well...I hope the scale hull performs close to the 1:1 hull. I'm not looking to set any FE speed type records with this model, but I think I should be able to hit 15-20mph with the right combination of motor/prop. The shaft angle on the model turned out to be the same as the 1:1 due to space constraints. The 1:1 boat is no speed demon either considering the horsepower it has. It's geared and propped to pull people out of the water and get to wakeboard/water skiing speed quickly, not high top end. I look forward to water trials (someday) and see how this all works out. The boat is really light and I will have lots of room to move weight around and it will probably take a fair amount to put it at the proper waterline. Thanks for looking and helping me pay attention.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:15 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
You need to make a raft to put behind the MALIBU.
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:52 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
sand and fill sand and fill....

Wood filler and sanding, over and over. That is the rule for the last week. I did start adding a raised trim piece on the top of the sides. There will also be a trim piece added to the bottom of the sides next. Which leads to more sanding, more wood filler and repeat.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:38 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,906 Posts
Quote:
Well...I hope the scale hull performs close to the 1:1 hull. I think I should be able to hit 15-20mph with the right combination of motor/prop. The shaft angle on the model turned out to be the same as the 1:1 due to space constraints.
Hi xx29l9,

As the water isn't scaled down like the model, it's always going to perform different, hence the need to adapt the model to it's working environment.

Changing the propshaft angle to as shallow as possible is one of them, adapting the underwater hull, so the model will actually get on the plane, is another.

Not knowing the original boat 'in the flesh', I can't tell you if the underwaterhull needs to be altered, see how she runs.

The propshaft angle may be an issue, pushing the bow down can't be counteracted with the distribution of weight, as each boat has a CoG you can't mess about with too much, without ruining the running attitude.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how you fair, once it hits the water.

Good luck!
Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:49 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
More side trim

Both sides now have the raised trim on the lower sides below the rub rail. I still need to finish the stern portion of this trim. Kind of hard to see this raised area in the pictures, but it will stand out once painted like the 1:1 boat. Base for the rub rail will be next.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:26 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Looks great
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:45 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Working with sintra-

Not a lot of model time over the holiday. The youngest son and I did pick up some wood and build another workbench in the garage for the miter saw and router. Good times. On the 'bu model, I did take some 1/8" square sintra rod and bend and glue it around the boat for the base of the rub rail. Turned out good and the sintra bent around the corners easily. First time I really worked with the stuff.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:32 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Thinking ahead, what colors are you going to paint it.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:17 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6789boat View Post
Thinking ahead, what colors are you going to paint it.
I like to think ahead too, probably more than I should...model will be painted to match the 1:1 boat. Below are some pics of my early try at future decals. I think it will work out fine when I get to that point. Going to be awhile...
Old Dec 05, 2011, 02:23 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Looks cool
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:05 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
It's lookin good man! You should be able to get a graphics shop to make some nice decals with vinyl and a clear background. Most places can look on company websites to get the right decals. Looking forward to any progress you got!

Cheers and happy holidays!
G-O
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:53 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
No time in the garage lately...means nothing done in the hobby department. I did receive my order of 2 water pickups. Look to be nice pieces for a reasonable price. I think these flush mounted pickups will look good on a scale boat. I'm not depending on water cooling for the motor or esc, but if needed I will have it available.

Bought the pickups from Offshore Electrics-

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80400
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:02 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Looks good!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:15 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
How many coats of epoxy?

Work still continues on the hull. Sanding/filling/sanding/filling blah blah blah. It is looking pretty good though. Now, I have never used epoxy to cover a model hull. I will not be using fiberglass on this model, just the epoxy on the inside and outside to seal things up. When I'm ready for it, how many coats of epoxy are typically used for the outside of the hull? The hull should be very smooth and require no filling of low spots when the epoxy goes on. 2 light coats enough? I will be sanding it smooth once hardened and before the paint goes on. I bought some West System epoxy for this project.

Bob
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
More sanding and filling, the saga continues

The continuation of sanding and filling, sanding and filling. The good news is that I'm really happy with how this hull is turning out. The lines are looking really good when compared with the 1:1 boat and the surface is smooooooth. Will be ready for a cover of epoxy resin soon. I did add a two 1/2" pieces for the inside top of the sides. Another nice thing I've noticed so far, as it sits this hull is extremely light and strong. Pictures don't do it justice compared to seeing it in person. I think the camera flash takes away some of the details. Now that I have that radio mod project outta the way, maybe I can get a little more done on this one.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:06 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,227 Posts
Looking great Bob.

I usually do at least three coats of epoxy. I try to fill the weave in the fiberglass.
And then sand for a nice finish. I sometimes do additional coats if I find I am cutting
into the glass fiber.

Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:33 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
766 Posts
Quote:
Looking great Bob.

I usually do at least three coats of epoxy. I try to fill the weave in the fiberglass.
And then sand for a nice finish. I sometimes do additional coats if I find I am cutting
into the glass fiber.

Hi Aimee- No fiberglass cloth on this build. I'm thinking the cloth would cover and lose too many of the small details in the hull. (as PatMat also thought)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1520621

I'm thinking 1 or 2 coats on bare wood, then paint then 1 or 2 more clear cover coats. Still a ways off from needing to worry about that.