Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
What size are the portholes?
Silver Plated Grommet Eyelet Rivet 8mm.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Silver-P...ht_3963wt_1270
Hi Millertime. Thanks for the link....but I need them in 3mm size. But this got me thinking....maybe a fabric or Michaels type store would have something like this. Will check that out when time permits. Hmmm...
xx29l9 is offline Find More Posts by xx29l9
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:01 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Hancock Fabrics might have it, I get a lot of stuff there.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Eyelet...VVviewprod.htm
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
786 Posts
Good call Millertime! Swung by Michaels....no luck. Eyelets were too big. Went to a Joann Fabric superstore. Nice lady took me to the sewing section. Nope, eyelets too big. Got on her headset and talked to the voice from above- "we have more of those in the craft section". Bingo. They have pretty much any size and color you would want. So for $2.99 I have a pack of 100 chrome colored 1/8" eyelets. That should last awhile. Also started to layout the placement for the docking lights on the bow. These will be white 3mm LED's on the model. Took measurements off the 1:1 boat and transferred to the model. Looks good and straight on both sides. I love it when the math works.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:22 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
786 Posts
Docking lights-

Started a little more work on the 2 flush mounted bow docking lights. After drawing a template I cut, filed, drilled and hammered on some thin stainless steel stock. Surprised myself and both pieces turned out pretty nice. Still need some minor work and polishing, but I like it. Looked so good I temporarily hooked up one of the 3mm white LED's that will go into them. Showed my youngest son. Very cool looking. These are the detail that put the life into a model.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:49 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
786 Posts
Stern air vents

Got to spend a little bit of time in the garage...worked a little on the 2 stern air vents. The frames were shaped from some .020" thick sintra. These frames will be covered with a chrome monocote for a final finish. I've been wondering about what to use for the chrome mesh pattern that the 1:1 vents have...wondering around the store with the wife the other day and the light bulb went off!....
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:49 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,621 Posts
Nice detail work!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:28 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Ditto.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:18 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
786 Posts
Thanks guys...r/c boats and my cars are therapy for me! Wish I could squeeze more time on both of them....like everyone else on this board.

Bob
Old May 03, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Awesome build! Malibu is my favorite wakeboard boat! I can't wait to see the finished boat. Any thoughts of making a mold on the finished hull?
ryin is offline Find More Posts by ryin
Old May 03, 2012, 03:40 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryin View Post
Awesome build! Malibu is my favorite wakeboard boat! I can't wait to see the finished boat. Any thoughts of making a mold on the finished hull?
I've thought of making a hull mold, but not very hard. That is another skill I would like to learn since I have some small pieces I would like to cast easily. Problem is I don't know if I want to take the time and effort to do it, I'm a slow enough builder as it is. Looking back I do wish I would have made a mold of my charter boat hull, that's a boat I could see myself building more than 1 of and maybe someone else.

bob
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:18 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
786 Posts
Back at it-

Kids are back in school, camping/boating is over for the most part...time to get back to this project. Small window of opportunity yesterday in the garage, now where was I? I've been dreading soldering the strut together for some time due to being worried on how to keep it all lined up. Strut is made of 3 brass pieces with 2 tubes being soldered one inside the other and the larger tube had a slice cut out length wise for the vertical piece to fit into. Sometimes you just need to do it. I still need to solder the 2 oilite bearings inside of the smaller tube. Pics below.
Last edited by xx29l9; Sep 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:15 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
786 Posts
Starting to line up the running gear. I would really like to get a couple coats of epoxy resin covering the inside and outside of this project while the weather is still good. Need to put some more holes in the bottom first though. Started to shape the hole for the driveshaft and stuffing box. Things are lining up so far. I also received my order of oilite bearings, 2 have been soldered into the strut and 1 into the stuffing box. Still waiting to see how long the stuffing box will be before putting in the last bearing. I'm working to keep the prop/driveshaft angle as shallow as possible, but space constraints only allow so much wiggle room. Turns out the models driveshaft angle is the same as the 1:1 boat. Go figure. Pics below.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:24 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,386 Posts
Good to see more progress on on this build.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki