HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:32 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Thinking ahead, what colors are you going to paint it.
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:17 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6789boat View Post
Thinking ahead, what colors are you going to paint it.
I like to think ahead too, probably more than I should...model will be painted to match the 1:1 boat. Below are some pics of my early try at future decals. I think it will work out fine when I get to that point. Going to be awhile...
xx29l9 is online now Find More Posts by xx29l9
Old Dec 05, 2011, 02:23 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Looks cool
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:05 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
909 Posts
It's lookin good man! You should be able to get a graphics shop to make some nice decals with vinyl and a clear background. Most places can look on company websites to get the right decals. Looking forward to any progress you got!

Cheers and happy holidays!
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:53 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
754 Posts
No time in the garage lately...means nothing done in the hobby department. I did receive my order of 2 water pickups. Look to be nice pieces for a reasonable price. I think these flush mounted pickups will look good on a scale boat. I'm not depending on water cooling for the motor or esc, but if needed I will have it available.

Bought the pickups from Offshore Electrics-

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80400
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:02 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Looks good!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:15 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
754 Posts
How many coats of epoxy?

Work still continues on the hull. Sanding/filling/sanding/filling blah blah blah. It is looking pretty good though. Now, I have never used epoxy to cover a model hull. I will not be using fiberglass on this model, just the epoxy on the inside and outside to seal things up. When I'm ready for it, how many coats of epoxy are typically used for the outside of the hull? The hull should be very smooth and require no filling of low spots when the epoxy goes on. 2 light coats enough? I will be sanding it smooth once hardened and before the paint goes on. I bought some West System epoxy for this project.

Bob
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
754 Posts
More sanding and filling, the saga continues

The continuation of sanding and filling, sanding and filling. The good news is that I'm really happy with how this hull is turning out. The lines are looking really good when compared with the 1:1 boat and the surface is smooooooth. Will be ready for a cover of epoxy resin soon. I did add a two 1/2" pieces for the inside top of the sides. Another nice thing I've noticed so far, as it sits this hull is extremely light and strong. Pictures don't do it justice compared to seeing it in person. I think the camera flash takes away some of the details. Now that I have that radio mod project outta the way, maybe I can get a little more done on this one.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:06 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,133 Posts
Looking great Bob.

I usually do at least three coats of epoxy. I try to fill the weave in the fiberglass.
And then sand for a nice finish. I sometimes do additional coats if I find I am cutting
into the glass fiber.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:33 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
Looking great Bob.

I usually do at least three coats of epoxy. I try to fill the weave in the fiberglass.
And then sand for a nice finish. I sometimes do additional coats if I find I am cutting
into the glass fiber.

Hi Aimee- No fiberglass cloth on this build. I'm thinking the cloth would cover and lose too many of the small details in the hull. (as PatMat also thought)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1520621

I'm thinking 1 or 2 coats on bare wood, then paint then 1 or 2 more clear cover coats. Still a ways off from needing to worry about that.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:17 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,133 Posts
Ahh,...Well if you have any areas you are concerned about strength, you
could try some of that really light 1.4oz cloth at Tap Plastics.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:13 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
754 Posts
Some detail work started

Almost ready to put some epoxy on this thing to seal it up. But I need a few more details built into the hull first. I found some brass portholes on Modelexpo.com that are just the right size for me to use as ballast through hull fittings. I drilled out the 10 spots in the hull for these to be placed. Also started to build the chrome trim that makes the stern air vent covers. I thought about making them out of a thin piece of stainless, but I'm not sure if I have tools that will allow me to make such small details in them. Plan now is to make them out of Sintra and cover them in chrome metal foil. We'll see if that turns out good enough.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
754 Posts
Anyone want to nickel plate some parts?

One of the issues with the converted portholes into my new through hull fittings is the parts need to be chrome (looking) and not brass. Anyone interested in nickel plating 12 of these pieces? I'll pay for your time and the shipping. I'm not very interested right now in having to learn how to plate these parts...just want it done by someone who knows what they're doing. Let me know...

Bob
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:49 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,133 Posts
Isn't it just a matter of buying a kit and hooking up a battery?

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/

Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:12 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
Isn't it just a matter of buying a kit and hooking up a battery?

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/

True...but $160 for their small kit? That's more $$$ per piece than I'd like to spend. Maybe I missed the cheaper do it at home kit on their web site.