HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2011, 06:48 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
759 Posts
It only looks like nothing is going on....

Ok, summer vacations and what not are over, kids back to school...time to look at the hobbies again. I have been working on the first 2 pieces of wood to make the lower sides of the hull. Something just wasn't right with the lines down the side from midship forward. Measurements all looked good, but didn't pass the eyeball test. Been fighting with it for over a week now and I think I have a solution. Will post pics when I have it worked out.
xx29l9 is online now Find More Posts by xx29l9
Last edited by xx29l9; Sep 20, 2011 at 10:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:29 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
759 Posts
Wood chips are flying once again-

It's only 2 pieces of wood, how hard can it be? These 2 pieces of wood have been causing me a headache for a long time now. If you look directly at the side of the boat from bow to stern at the chrome rub rail, it slopes up slightly to about the window then flattens out for awhile before sloping down towards the stern. Easy enough to draw a side view of, but when trying to bend and shape a piece of wood to wrap around all the added curves.... After several attempts I finally have the shape that passes the eyeball test. Now to glue them on.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:39 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
909 Posts
Cool!
Its those little details that will make the difference!
Looking forward to any progress!
Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:48 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
759 Posts
Thanks G-O! True, as time consuming as it is...much easier to make changes now than later. During the summer when we were anchored in a cove just relaxing, some people in a boat not far from us dropped a RTR type r/c boat in the water and ran it around. People went nuts and thought that was so cool. I'm hoping to have mine ready for some water trials by late spring. Would love to pull out this model of the 1:1 boat complete with all the secret features I'm looking to put into this thing... Need to give myself a kick in the butt to get moving on these things.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:38 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
759 Posts
Broke the glue out

Like I've said before, sometimes you get to a point where it is either time to glue something on, get the saw out or get off the pot. Or some saying close to that. Started to glue the bottom piece of the sides on. Lot's of bends and twists needed. I use tape, clamps and whatever else available to hold things together while the glue sets. Sides aren't perfectly straight, but it shouldn't take too much filler later on to make it real nice.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 01:38 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,913 Posts
Well, it looks like something so that is a good sign!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:11 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
759 Posts
Bow taking shape

Good to see the pointy end of the boat actually looking pointy. Finished gluing the 2 lower side pieces all the way to the bow. Took out the Dremel with a sanding disk and started to rough in the sides to meet the chine. Then broke out the Black and Decker mouse sander for the detail and finishing sanding. About 20 seconds into work plastic pieces start launching themselves from within the sander. Arrgggh The sander disintegrated right in front of me. Guess it's time to buy a new one. Got about 8 years of service for this one.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 09:51 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
909 Posts
Sweeet!
Looks good! dremels new weapon is a multi tool, its pretty slick too.
Keep us posted, its looking really god!
Cheers
G-O
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:03 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
759 Posts
More work on the sides and bow. Began shaping the upper side pieces that will run from the stern to the bow. Again, looks easy enough when viewed from the side, but the wood has to make several twists in it to fit right. I thought I might be able to bend the wood enough to glue it all the way to the nose on the bow, but it is too much of a twist. I glued 2 small balsa blocks on the nose and began to shape them. The side pieces will then meet up with the blocks. Pics show the progress.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:15 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
759 Posts
Rounding the stern

Decided to do some quick work on the sterns upper piece. Some time ago G-O asked why I didn't just glue a block of balsa across the whole stern and shape that. I probably should have, but I did it this way for some reason, just can't remember why now. I started out by thinking the upper trim piece would be one chunk of 1/16" ply bent across the stern. Didn't work out that way, the bend at the corners was too sharp to really make. So 2 blocks of balsa got glued into the corners and I will carve on those.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:42 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
759 Posts
I little bit of time with the Dremel and mouse sander...stern is looking pretty good. Will wait for final shaping after I get the 2 upper side pieces put on.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:15 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
759 Posts
Sometimes you have to bust the pieces off and start over

Started gluing the top side pieces on. Starboard side went on nice. Almost had the port side fully glued on when I started to eyeball it better. Arrrgh, had to rip it off and start over. Didn't pass the eyeball test. New piece of wood will be cut out for it tonight. Still need to shape the balsa nose piece to meet up with the top side parts.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:35 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
759 Posts
Still making progress

Work continues as the hull continues to be refined. Cleaned up the stern area where the cushions for the engine cover will be. Also began shaping the piece to sit on top of the sides from bow to stern. Lots of measuring and cutting/sanding, but it's getting there, one piece at a time.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:00 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
909 Posts
wow that is looking awesome! keep up the great work!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:20 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
759 Posts
Now it's getting interesting-

Thanks G-O...I do what I can.

More sanding and shaping of the hull. The 1"x3"x1/16" piece of wood I had in the center of the stern had a small warp in it. Every time I looked at it it would drive me crazy. I'm sure a little filler would have taken care of it. Nope, I had to bust it off and put a new piece of wood in. Slept much better last night. Sometimes I wonder if I was to start over all the things I would do different now and how to make it better, then I busted out the wood filler and used a thin coat in a few low spots. Wow, I was pretty happy with the hull shape, but all of the sudden I am really happy. Some more sanding and a little more filler and this thing is going to be looking really nice. I didn't get any pics after the first coat of filler, more to follow.