SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:23 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,324 Posts
Malibu Corvette

Since we have come to this intersection of the build, there are some considerations that should be made.
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:48 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollytime View Post
Since we have come to this intersection of the build, there are some considerations that should be made.
Ahhh yes, the Corvette boat. Small history on the 1:1 boat- Malibu has a deal with Chevrolet to produce a limited Corvette edition. Besides the obvious Corvette engine, Malibu tweaks the boat to bring in lots of things from the car, like the rear tail lights, exhaust, seats, windows etc...I sat in a black one at a dealership once. Very nice, very expensive. But me, being the diehard Mopar guy...I would take too much grief for ever being seen in one. Now if Malibu built a '70 hemi 'cuda version. Hmmmm....
xx29l9 is offline Find More Posts by xx29l9
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:00 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
952 Posts
If Malibu can build me one to match mine, i might consider buying a new boat!
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:24 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Cool! similar to a couple of models of Chris Crafts that were made in the late 1950's... car styling on the water...

"Corvette boat" is a nice looking design.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:45 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,014 Posts
Looks like the pay scale for Canuck CG occifers ain't too shabby!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:23 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Coasties earn every penny!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:48 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
952 Posts
Haha, thanks guys, I drove a clunker of a truck for a decade, my turn for new and shiny. (four months in the arctic gets a nice down payment its cheaper than most new trucks any how!

XX2919,
Are you going to do the Corvette design for yours or are you going to stick with a replica of yours? Do you plan on also doing a boat trailer as well? I keep thinking of doing a replica of my pleasure boat, but its not nearly as nice looking as yours!
Question about the stern, read the bit on ballast and the wedge, really cool stuff, haven't heard of that before (the wedge) will you be adding that in the model, maybe a servo controlled wedge? and about the stern construction, I am guessing you'll be applying some fiberglass to the hull once its been built, in that case, why stress about bending the ply around the transom, wouldn't it be a little easier to shape out of balsa? or are you looking to get some space in the stern for trim tabs or something? just curious,
I like this build, most people just buy a fast electric off the shelf and then look like every other boat on the pond. Yours is going to look great, keep up the work!
Regards
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Last edited by Guard-Officer; Jun 22, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:49 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard-Officer View Post

XX2919,
Are you going to do the Corvette design for yours or are you going to stick with a replica of yours? Do you plan on also doing a boat trailer as well? I keep thinking of doing a replica of my pleasure boat, but its not nearly as nice looking as yours!
Question about the stern, read the bit on ballast and the wedge, really cool stuff, haven't heard of that before (the wedge) will you be adding that in the model, maybe a servo controlled wedge? and about the stern construction, I am guessing you'll be applying some fiberglass to the hull once its been built, in that case, why stress about bending the ply around the transom, wouldn't it be a little easier to shape out of balsa? or are you looking to get some space in the stern for trim tabs or something? just curious,
I like this build, most people just buy a fast electric off the shelf and then look like every other boat on the pond. Yours is going to look great, keep up the work!
Regards
G-O
Hi G-O,
Nice car...the model will be built after my 1:1 boat, no Corvette conversion at this time. Trailer for it? Yup, that is part of the master plan. I will build a stand for it in the short term and then a trailer later. I have R/C Clodbuster with a Dodge RAM body on it painted close to my truck that will make a good tow rig for this. The stern construction- well, looking back now, I probably should have just put a block of balsa back there and shaped it. What was I thinking? I'm not so sure now Must have been some reason at the time. Servo controller wedge, sounds like a good idea, I was going to build the wedge but leave it to manually put up and down like the real one. I keep going back to my build mantra of "if it's on the real boat, it needs to be on the model". I know Walmart had Malibu boats close to this one, but you really get what you pay for, a $25.00 dollar model. If everything works as planned, this should turn out to be a pretty unique model. Time will tell.

bob
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:46 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
809 Posts
Starting to fill in the big holes in the bottom of hull.

Getting ready to start putting in the 1/16" ply for the bottom of the hull. I needed to firm up the area along the chine for the plank to line up with and prevent it from bowing/flexing too much. A 1/8x5/8" piece of spruce was glued over the top of the chine and then a piece of 1/8x1/4" spruce under that butted up to the chine. This gives a nice shelf for the hull pieces to be glued to and provides the 1/8" of the chine to show on the edge. Not bad. Hopefully pics show what I mean.

bob
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:57 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
809 Posts
Starting to glue the bottom of the hull-

Glued the first 2 pieces that mate to the center section of the hull down last night. Turned out good. Will need some filler and sanding, but doesn't look like too much. Also started to cut out and shape the next pieces that will fill out the last of the bottom of hull. Looks ready for a float test. Or not.

bob
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:23 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
809 Posts
The "Dude" shows up-

Got the last 2 pieces for the bottom of the hull glued on and the local wakeboarder guy shows up to see what's up with this boat he's heard about. Don't even know his name, I think it's "Dude". He likes what he sees and is already talking about getting time behind the boat and riding some big nasty waves.

him- "Dude, this boat is going to rock. Can't wait to load her down and ride some nasty curl waves"

me- "Got some gas money to chip in there Sparky?"

him- "Dude, when that pizza delivery job pulls through for me, I will be rollin thick in serious caaaaashhhh!"

me- "allrighty then."

Anyway, now I will start shaping the balsa blocks for the bow and fitting the 1/16" ply for the sides of the hull under the watchful eye of the Dude.

bob
Old Jul 07, 2010, 05:59 AM
Joined Jun 2010
1 Posts
Bob,
Looks like your model is coming along nicely..... I'm considering building a 1:4/1:5 scale version of a Wakesetter myself but I can't seem to find any good pics to use to scale up from, and I'm not lucky enough to have the real thing sitting in my garage. Where did you get the pics from that you used to scale up from?

Rob.
rjn76 is offline Find More Posts by rjn76
Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:30 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn76 View Post
Bob,
Looks like your model is coming along nicely..... I'm considering building a 1:4/1:5 scale version of a Wakesetter myself but I can't seem to find any good pics to use to scale up from, and I'm not lucky enough to have the real thing sitting in my garage. Where did you get the pics from that you used to scale up from?

Rob.
Hi Rob-
Sorry for the slow response, just got back from a vacation. I use the Malibu sales brochure for general hull shape/outline. My boat is a 2005 and I couldn't find an "05 brochure so I modded the outline from the "08 hull which is pretty close as it is. I tried to blow up the side and top views I wanted to use from the brochure, but they didn't blow up very well, too small to enlarge without losing detail. That's where I ended up drawing things on my own.

Good luck with your project. Ask any question you have and I'll see what I can do.

Bob
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:24 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
809 Posts
Trying to make the pointy end more pointy.

I previously had 2 halves that formed the upper bow pieces I was working on. I then began looking at a bigger block of balsa to maybe form 1 single piece. This was my backup plan to help keep everything in line. It may not look like it in the pictures, but the work so far has been well over an hour of shaping (whitlin') with lots more time needed. I'm leaning towards using this new bow piece, we'll see how it turns out in the end.

Bob
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:53 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
809 Posts
Fired up the saw and drill-

Needed a break from working on my long overdue Christmas presents. Went out to the garage to take a look at the 'bu project. Made a paper template to cut out the (2) 1/2" exhaust ports. Started looking at the balsa block I was carving for the bow piece and decided I will go with (2) 1/16" ply pieces running the whole length of the boat. There is not much vertical bending (cupping) on the profile here so this should work. Also began shaping a piece of ply that will be the lower stern piece. Looks to be a good fit so far. More updates as time allows.