HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:49 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Somethings are much bigger than hobbies-

I'm sad to say that my dad recently passed away. He lived a good long life, almost 91. Served our country in WW2 and raised 4 kids while running his own business. Although I didn't get to see him much these last few years, we always enjoyed each others company. I miss him.
xx29l9 is offline Find More Posts by xx29l9
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:55 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Building is therapy.

I love the time I can find to spend in the garage building things. Or tearing things apart to make them "better". I do believe I have passed this trait on to my boys.

Continued work on the bow area. More sanding, filling, sanding filling....looking pretty good. Also took some paper and started to layout the main floor shape. Once I got that pretty close, transferred the pattern to a sheet of sintra and began roughing it in until I have a really nice fit. So far so good. Pics tell more about it than I can write....

Bob
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:53 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,296 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my father in 2006, he was a WWII vet.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:49 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,540 Posts
Sorry for your loss..
OBW
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:55 AM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost mine (another WWII vet) in 2006 and still miss him greatly.
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:23 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,290 Posts
Condolences XX.

You had a good run.

I lost my mom when I was 17 (she was 44) and my dad when I was 28 (he was 59).
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:14 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Building continues

I started work on the walls of the pass-through area. The starboard side holds the dash and all that good stuff while the port side is for seats and storage. There are 2 small built in storage areas that I was able to finish and try out the LED lighting that will go there. Used a 3mm amber colored LED. I found that if I filed the bulb to a more flat shape, it softened the light and got rid of the "beam" look. I also believe I have reached a point that to continue on the cabin area I really need the floor to be glued in. That is where the problem comes in...I need to add weight to get the boat to it's waterline and I can't access all those areas with the floor glued down. Looks like I better seal up the hull and get some paint on it so I can float it. Which means I better get all the running gear in order. Which put me back to finishing the gearbox I started. Everything runs in a circle eh?

Bob
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:20 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Work continues on gearbox

I soldered another brass tube over the originals to double up the thickness/strength. I then cut one side closer to the final length. Not sure how much room I will have in the boat for this, going to be a tight squeeze. I have the gears on brass rod right now as I mock up the pieces, The final rod used will be stainless. I did hook the whole contraption up to the dremel and gave it good spin. All worked nice and surprisingly smooth. That is a good thing.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:37 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,252 Posts
Ive been really enjoying your build, great work! Love homemade drive systems. Sometimes the most challenging, yet rewarding part of a build. That is until your homemade system leaves your boat out in the middle of the lake without a retrieval system like mine did
Rmay is online now Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:37 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmay View Post
Ive been really enjoying your build, great work! Love homemade drive systems. Sometimes the most challenging, yet rewarding part of a build. That is until your homemade system leaves your boat out in the middle of the lake without a retrieval system like mine did
Hi Rmay- Funny, I'd like to think I'm building this gearbox (and the rest of the boat) bulletproof, but if it does turn into shrapnel....I already have plans for gearbox version 2.0 that would be really cool. I hope this one lasts....but you never know

Bob
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:02 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
This is really turning into one of those absolutely fantastic builds, well done

Cheers
Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:46 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Gearbox fitting-

Found a little time to head out into the garage. Work continues on the gearbox and getting it fit into the hull. Had to notch the keel for the gearbox to drop down into. Also drilled 2 holes for the shafts to fit through a rib. Amazingly it all seems to fit pretty nice. Still gauging how long the shafts and support tubes will be on the business end of this thing. Also started to make a motor mount out of some .064 thick aluminum sheet. So far so good.

Bob
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:43 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Universal shaft angles

So as I look to set up my motor mount and gearbox positions, I do have some choices. My quick drawing below shows a little bit of the 2 differences I'm looking at. Choice A shows the 2 shafts on the gearbox centered on the keel, which would put the universal joint from the propshaft and the motor both at an angle. Choice B shows moving the gearbox to the side and lining up the propshaft with the one output on the gearbox, I would then angle the motor mount a little more than the drawing shows to try and lessen that angle. I know neither solution is perfect, but sometimes compromises need to be made. I'm leaning towards "B". Any thoughts?

Bob
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:03 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
Just a thought, if you shift motor to off center as in "B", you might have to compensate the weight offset on the other side.

Assuming the drawings are top-down views, what about rotating the gear box 90 degrees for and over / under type configuration. Motor shaft on top, prop shaft on bottom, similar to 1:1 V gear boxes, just no V. Line the prop side up with actual prop shaft and use a universal to get proper angle to motor above.

If I knew how to use a drawing program I would provide a sketch.
mitchlandry is offline Find More Posts by mitchlandry
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:14 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlandry View Post
Just a thought, if you shift motor to off center as in "B", you might have to compensate the weight offset on the other side.

Assuming the drawings are top-down views, what about rotating the gear box 90 degrees for and over / under type configuration. Motor shaft on top, prop shaft on bottom, similar to 1:1 V gear boxes, just no V. Line the prop side up with actual prop shaft and use a universal to get proper angle to motor above.

If I knew how to use a drawing program I would provide a sketch.
Hi Mitch....my bad, yes, that is a top down view. I agree, if there was room I would put the gear box vertical like the 1:1 boat. I'm leaning towards offsetting the motor since I should have a fair amount of weight to play with for adjustmentments.

Bob