HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:24 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,458 Posts
Perhaps you'll want to duct the air "down" from the vents to the motor.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:00 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
Perhaps you'll want to duct the air "down" from the vents to the motor.

Well...I haven't picked out the amp yet for the stereo, but I'm sure a little fresh air for that can never hurt.
xx29l9 is online now Find More Posts by xx29l9
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:55 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
803 Posts
Progress is progress, right?

Some progress made, even it it is only a little. Started to form what will be the bracing for the back of the seats in the bow area. Also looking at possible carpet material since I will need to glue some up the inside walls of the hull. Found some cheap grey velvet looking material at the fabric store. Looks pretty good in the model.

Bob
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,324 Posts
This build is getting more complex than an F-22 Raptor. But I love it!!
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:35 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollytime View Post
This build is getting more complex than an F-22 Raptor. But I love it!!
Hi Tollytime....agreed. I may have a problem, I can't stop the insanity. Just wait till I start building the tower for this thing. It's going to be epic. I hope.

Bob
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:04 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
803 Posts
Doing battle with the chicken vs. egg thing-

Seems you always reach a point (or several) during a build where you really need to glue something down in order to move on, but it would make some things down the road so much easier if you didn't glue it. Hmmm. I would really like to glue the pieces on in the bow to finish that up so I can continue with epoxy covering and eventually paint. But wiring for the lights and stereo would be soooo much easier if those pieces weren't glued in. I will make an executive decision and glue the pieces in next and just have to work the wires around later.

Bought myself a late birthday present. After much discussion with nick_75au about brushless motors, I bought an E-flite Power 10 motor. 1100kv, 375 watts. Will run it on 3s lipos. Thanks for the input Nick!

Also to help finish up the bow area before gluing those side pieces on, I drilled the bow for the front navigation light. I can tell already that this will be a pain in the rear to build, the 1:1 boat has a flip up nav light, think of rotating headlights on a corvette. Oh well, worry about that when I get there. Also drilled holes in bow sides for the speakers that will go up there. And found better material for the carpet, much better color match and texture is closer to the 1:1 boat.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:32 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,458 Posts
With all those speakers, where are you mounting the mp3 player?

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:27 AM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,225 Posts
Might I ask where you obtained the speakers?
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:32 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx29l9 View Post
Seems you always reach a point (or several) during a build where you really need to glue something down in order to move on, but it would make some things down the road so much easier if you didn't glue it. Hmmm. I would really like to glue the pieces on in the bow to finish that up so I can continue with epoxy covering and eventually paint. But wiring for the lights and stereo would be soooo much easier if those pieces weren't glued in. I will make an executive decision and glue the pieces in next and just have to work the wires around later.

Bought myself a late birthday present. After much discussion with nick_75au about brushless motors, I bought an E-flite Power 10 motor. 1100kv, 375 watts. Will run it on 3s lipos. Thanks for the input Nick!

Also to help finish up the bow area before gluing those side pieces on, I drilled the bow for the front navigation light. I can tell already that this will be a pain in the rear to build, the 1:1 boat has a flip up nav light, think of rotating headlights on a corvette. Oh well, worry about that when I get there. Also drilled holes in bow sides for the speakers that will go up there. And found better material for the carpet, much better color match and texture is closer to the 1:1 boat.
WHY NOT PUT A CONDUIT IN? PULL YOUR WIRES ANYTIME.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...643045&page=51
ALSO THINK ABOUT MAINT./CHANGE LATER
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:24 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
803 Posts
Speakers will all be mounted in the same spots as the 1:1 boat. Amp will go in storage area under left side of front window, just like the 1:1's 3 amps. Funny how those things work out. I have one of the older 4GB ipods that is really small that will also go in the amp area. Haven't settled on an amp yet, but here are two possibilities-

http://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Lig...-universal.php

And a stereo version-

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=320-556

The speakers- After much (probably too much) miniature speaker research I settled on speakers made by CUI Inc, which just happens to be up the road in Tualitan from me. You can see all their specs here-

http://www.cui.com/Catalog/Components/Speakers

Only issue is they want to sell you several thousand units. So I found that Digikey carried the ones I was looking for-

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...peakers/720966

OBW- I thought about running some tubes for the wires...but the speakers are going to require a fairly complex combination of parallel/series wiring and I haven't figured all the layout yet. Add in lights and stuff, going to get complex and not sure where I will have to cut into the tubes to tie things together....we'll see.

bob
Last edited by xx29l9; Jan 03, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:13 PM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,225 Posts
Thanks for the info xx2919. I (and likely others) would like to learn what your feelings are with the amplification and sounds from the speakers when you have them up and running.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:49 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops52 View Post
Thanks for the info xx2919. I (and likely others) would like to learn what your feelings are with the amplification and sounds from the speakers when you have them up and running.
I'm curious about how it will sound too. Sound reproduction is always really limited by the small size of these speakers, so while I may not get glorious 8-Track quadrophonic sound, I am mainly doing this for the uniqueness of the project. If you can tell what song is actually playing through all 10 speakers and the giant 1" subwoofer I will call that a major success. Back to my build philosophy, "if it's on the 1:1 boat, it needs to be on the model".

Bob
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:36 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
950 Posts
Nice, a pumpin stereo to go with it! Looks great so far!
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:02 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard-Officer View Post
Nice, a pumpin stereo to go with it! Looks great so far!
It'll thump as much as it can using about 3.5 watts.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:39 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
803 Posts
More work on bow seating area-

After executive decision was made to go ahead and continue bow details, I went ahead and glued carpet on the inside of the hull, glued the sides on and rear for cushion mounting area. I then took some 1/64" thick wood and shaped a piece I could bend sharply into the corners. Seemed to work out well. I then added a piece to the front of the area to finish off all the major sides in the bow. Still need a little more sanding and smoothing, but I think it is a good start. Luckily the holes I drilled in the bow allow me to still snake some wires throughout the area.

When I was looking over the almost completed area above....The skinny section that runs between the front windows appears to be too long. Looked at some pictures and broke out the measuring tape on the 1:1 boat. Sure enough, I will need to cut and shape that area about 3/4" shorter than it is now. I thought about leaving at is for a moment...but it would end up bugging me too much. Easier to fix it now than later.

Bob
Last edited by xx29l9; Jan 08, 2013 at 05:54 PM.