SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:43 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
785 Posts
Build Log
Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV scratch build

Well, every project needs to start somewhere. I don't seem to build anything as fast as some of the builds I've been watching on this site. I don't know how you guys do it sometimes. Boat will be made mainly out of balsa with 1/16" ply for the outer hull. Most likely fiberglassed, we'll see when I get that far. Scale is 1:12 and I plan on stuffing lots of details in it. Hopefully they all work. Time to quit talking and fire up the bandsaw.
xx29l9 is online now Find More Posts by xx29l9
Last edited by xx29l9; Mar 15, 2010 at 05:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:05 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,576 Posts
Using you classic Mopar as a work table??

And what is the yellow boat in the background?

Okay, back on topic. Your build looks really good so far.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:17 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Using you classic Mopar as a work table??

And what is the yellow boat in the background?

Okay, back on topic. Your build looks really good so far.
Hi Kmot-
Yellow boat in the background is my scratch built 43' Delta Marine charter fishing boat...I just recieved my 2 new Johnson 970's to repower this thing! I am also still working on my modding of a Futaba radio for dual throttle control. A little bit more about the boat can be found here-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009303
I need to update that with some more pics when I get around to it.

The car....I only put the boat stuff there temporarily for pictures...my workbench is too cluttered with radio stuff right now. And I am slowly pulling the car apart for a new paint job, so although I am careful with it, the paint is going to come off eventually. Just need more $$$

bob
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:55 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
785 Posts
Ran into my first need for re-evaluating the builder of this thing...me. The more I thought about the 2 brass skid fins and brass shaft strut, the more I wasn't liking the idea of the balsa wood keel no matter how I strengthened around those parts. Better to take care of this now then really be in a mess further down the road. Quick stop at Home Depot and a piece of 1/4" x6"x4' poplar later and I have a new keel cut out. Added some more stringers. Will need to go back and re-do one of the others as it is not lining up like it should. Also the area of the open bow just did not seem to slope down enough and after some measuring and eyeballing on the 1:1 boat, I think I have that fixed too.

bob
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:54 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
785 Posts
No wonder I never get anything done-

No wonder I'm so slow at my hobbies. Last Wed. I loaded up the wife and 2 boys and headed over to central Oregon for 4 days of skiing at Mt. Bachelor. Now this week my oldest has baseball games Mon, Tues., Wed., Thurs. and my youngest has basketball Thurs. and Friday. Oh yeah, they like me to be at all their games. And you know what? I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Progress on the boat- I don't like any of the frames so I am re-drawing and measuring everything again to make a new set.

bob
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:43 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
785 Posts
Some progress, finally.

Finally made some headway on this project. After my first attempts at the ribs did nothing but make me mad...after lots of measuring and eye balling I created a new set and cut them out of poplar for more strength compared to the balsa ones. Success! The lines now look real nice and a much stronger base to build up on. I then notched rib 2 and 3 so I can glue a 1/2"x1/2" beam on each side of the keel piece to strengthen it when I cut it for the stuffing box, rudder post, prop strut and skid fins. I then moved on to the prop strut and skid fins, after more measuring and drawing the image was cut out on some brass stock. I now need to hollow out the slots in the bottom of the keel for these to slide into. I also took a jewelers hacksaw and cut the bullet end off of the new Raboesch prop. That went well. Just need some more time.

Bob
Last edited by xx29l9; Apr 19, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:06 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
785 Posts
Progress 2 days in a row, a new record.

Laid out some lines on the bottom of the keel for making slots that the skid fins and prop shaft will slide into. A little work with a Dremel cut-off wheel and a skinny cutting tip and it all worked. Next up is marking and cutting for the stuffing box. Due to the low floor height from the bottom of the bilge, the stuffing box is going to be pretty short and sit below the waterline. I'm using olite bearing and will fill the stuffing box with lithium grease or equivalent. I guess the stuffing box sits below the waterline on the real boat, should work for the model.

Bob
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:33 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
785 Posts
A little here, a little there

Not a lot done lately, but took a lot of time figuring out the best angle for the stuffing tube to go through the keel. Turns out 17 deg., just like the real boat. What luck. I also will be taking more material off the top at the rear of the keel to help lower the motor position for better alignment with the prop shaft. I had planned on building a nice sealed gear box for this, but there is not going to be enough room. Trying to find some beveled gears that I like that would mount directly on the 3/16" prop shaft. Also did some more prep work for the prop strut. Need to fire up the solder iron and mini torch.

bob
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:29 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
785 Posts
A little bit more-

Still making some progress. Cut the keel into 2 pieces for the stuffing tube. 1/2" square stock was used to glue the keel back together. Will need to file the hole for the stuffing tube just a little bit bigger.

Bob
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:54 PM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,222 Posts
Bob,

How are you converting your radio to dual throttles?
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:16 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops52 View Post
Bob,

How are you converting your radio to dual throttles?
Hi Pops52-
This model will not be dual throttle, radio will be for throttle, steering, and lights (most likely).

I do have a 6 channel Futaba 2.4Ghz radio I am modding for dual throttle for my charter boat...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015913

I will be updating that link soon as I need to wrap that project up. Good grief, has it been that long already? Kids, kids sports etc...

Bob
Old Apr 28, 2010, 06:59 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,576 Posts
We are watching. Keep posting.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:09 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,371 Posts
If I get you a nice work table from Home Depot, can I have the old one you're using now?

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:01 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
If I get you a nice work table from Home Depot, can I have the old one you're using now?

Wow, now that is funny!! I have two boys that would absolutely come unglued if I got rid of that car (or the 'cuda). It should be noted that I don't actually do any boat work on the car. My workbench is so taken over with so many other projects that I use the hood of the car for taking pictures and laying out the big pieces of paper. I love cars and just need more of the right combination of time and $$$ to do more with them. Phew, makes me tired just thinking about all I need to do. But I'm having fun

bob