SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:13 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,640 Posts
No Doubt its part of the Structural stability of the Fuse...If your a casual flyer and have no need for speed...Then I guess the its nuthin different than the ole Man takin a sunday drive out with the Convertible...But if your out to push the envelope .....You should glue it...also it helps even ..if you are that ole Man...and say you have a hard landing...You'll wish you had glued the whole thing...You can warp a fuse when its not Glued all together.....I'd rather be safe...A funjet can from time to time...be known to do a cartwheel...

Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:56 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Well... I flew my fju with the new flight stabilzer today. The initial handtoss went well and it didn't torque roll at all. Once she got going the servos started glitching some so I quickly switched off the gyros and regained normal control.
She was moving pretty darn quick and it got away from me instantly. I tried to yank and bank but the fju was already inverted and nearly out of sight. So it came down hard and smashed through several trees before hitting the ground. I eventually found the crash site and collected all the pieces. The nose and a rudder broke off and the battery had ejected. The fuse and wings were rashed up pretty good but my turtle deck was still intact and firmly still in place! Epoxy would be rock solid but silicone is also great adhesive and has served it purpose well.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Well... I flew my fju with the new flight stabilzer today. The initial handtoss went well and it didn't torque roll at all. Once she got going the servos started glitching some so I quickly switched off the gyros and regained normal control.
She was moving pretty darn quick and it got away from me instantly. I tried to yank and bank but the fju was already inverted and nearly out of sight. So it came down hard and smashed through several trees before hitting the ground. I eventually found the crash site and collected all the pieces. The nose and a rudder broke off and the battery had ejected. The fuse and wings were rashed up pretty good but my turtle deck was still intact and firmly still in place! Epoxy would be rock solid but silicone is also great adhesive and has served it purpose well.
Sorry to read about your crash.

Which flight stablization unit were you using?
Do you have a link? Prior experience with it?

Also possible you had the Gain set too high on the flight stablization unit.
I've seen that make my planes wag back and forth.

......not sure what caused your glitching.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:07 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Sorry to read about your crash.

Which flight stablization unit were you using?
Do you have a link? Prior experience with it?

Also possible you had the Gain set too high on the flight stablization unit.
I've seen that make my planes wag back and forth.

......not sure what caused your glitching.

Gryphon
Yep, I think the gain was set too high. It was set to 85% gain and probably only needed 50-60%. I was going to reduce it on my next pack but didn't get the chance.
However, this was the day of the big showdown! The competition was blown away (even if it was brief) but the victory was only bittersweet.
I will begin glueing the pieces together again soon but the leds are toast.

This is what I am using...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=28456
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:43 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,640 Posts
The only time I like a tree..is when its layin in the water...Fish ON!!!!!!!!...when I'm flyin....trees suck!

Billy
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,043 Posts
WhalleyB0Y - Sorry about the crash. Yeah, sometimes trees just jump up and grab planes. I recently flew my CTH Assassin wing into the top of a lightpost at full throttle thinking my plane was already in front of the post.

I've been interested in putting a gyro in a plane. But with a FunJet flying so fast, I wonder if the gyro is able to make the automatic corrections fast enough to really matter. Or whether these gyro's are really designed for slower planes like high-wing trainers.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Feb 2012
46 Posts
it seems that people that purchased this unit had a problem with the directions. most people that set this up used a 50% gain or less. starting off at 80% seems to be the blueprint to disaster. i think that had you started off with 50% or less you would have had much better success. did you set the unit up where you were able to turn it off? its a shame you had to ruin such a nice plane to get an adventure in gyros. good luck with the next one.
BLAZE WON is offline Find More Posts by BLAZE WON
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:28 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE WON View Post
it seems that people that purchased this unit had a problem with the directions. most people that set this up used a 50% gain or less. starting off at 80% seems to be the blueprint to disaster. i think that had you started off with 50% or less you would have had much better success. did you set the unit up where you were able to turn it off? its a shame you had to ruin such a nice plane to get an adventure in gyros. good luck with the next one.
Most things from HK don't come with instructions. I did set it up the stabilizer so that I could switch it off on command. The stabilizer worked perfectly for the hand launch and was switched off long before it crashed. The fju crashed because of operator error. I was speeding around and it got out of view too quickly and I lost orientation. Thanks for your input though.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:33 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,834 Posts
My friends and I always flew with FMA Co-pilot CPD4.
Then they came out with Co-pilot II.

Now there is Eagle Tree flight stablization which Flame and also my brother use.

With the original FMA unit (maybe 10 year old technology now) some people set it on high Gain and used a switch to turn it on/off as needed. Call it panic switch.
I figured when I'm panicking, the last thing I want to do is to remember to reach down for a switch.......so I set my gain low and left it on all the time.
If I had a particular need, i could switch it off.

***Even 15% gain is plenty for my needs.
My radar runs were really long and really low to the ground....very easy.
Going full up elevator just before the plane smashed into the radar gun was way too dangerous. Doppler runs are much safer now that I'm older and wiser.
And I rather give up 1-2 MPH on the readings and fly a little higher.

I suggest using less gain compared to a lot of gain.
Also with a lot of gain it is really hard to make a turn, plane wants to keep going straight....that can also be a disaster.
In the old days not everyone had a spare ch for on/off of stablization unit. It remained on during the whole flight.....so you pretty much had to avoid too much gain or else the plane could not turn so well.

-------
Other observations,

I would take the plane high and turn the throttle off. It would stay level and slow to stall. Nose would dip down into slow dive. It would pick up enough air speed in the dive (with throttle still off) that it would get lift and level out again.
The dipping then leveling was like stairs.
So as long as there was no obstruction it would keep doing that till it would land itself WITH the wing LEVEL.

If the sun ever hit you in the eye, turn the throttle off as you look away laughing.
Taking your sweet time finding the plane again. No worries.

Hopefully that $17 item from HK proves reliable. If so you will feel a lot more relaxed and have fewer crashes.
It is not about piloting skills, it is about having more fun and protecting your investment.
Some of the great R/C pilots use flight stablization systems on all their planes.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:51 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,563 Posts
I've never really considered flight stabilisation units maybe I've never really felt the need for it personally or maybe I felt as tho it's not needed generally, just not sure about them TBH. Gryphon's summary of how it helps for low passes certainly makes sense, and I wouldn't be bothered by a small speed loss either,and the levelling out from a dead throttle makes sense too.... but TBH I'm still not convinced .... They seemed like a good idea when I was starting out with heli's, but I got past the difficulties in learning those and never thought about it again.

Maybe they'll become something that eventually everyone installs, E-Flite have some of their UMX models with these units installed IIRC, so I can see PZ following suit too. But I dunno.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Last edited by feefo; Jan 01, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:59 PM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,681 Posts
My funjet is ready to maiden. I unscrewed the motor and spliced on some wire to the esc leads so that i can reach the deans plug.
How do you secure a gopro to a funjet? What is the safest way for gopro? What about aerodynamic? Im thinking 2 sided tape or zipties onto the wing.
Ps: mine weighs 30.5 oz
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:41 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,640 Posts
I don't know what ya mean...gopro?
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:44 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBillyFly View Post
I don't know what ya mean...gopro?
It's a camera Billy, better quality than the keyfob cams we all love but a bit bigger too.....

http://gopro.com/
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:16 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
It's a camera Billy, better quality than the keyfob cams we all love but a bit bigger too.....

http://gopro.com/
OH...I can't git into that stuff feefo...Makes me Dizzy.....hehehe..Thanks....

Never heard of one...

Billy
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:33 PM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,681 Posts
It filmes at 1080p, takes timelapses, 11mp pictures, and other settings.
Here is a video of my gopro on one of my planes.
GoPro 2 onboard Chasing Radians (5 min 6 sec)
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman