that is a really sweet paint job .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:49 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
Death of a funjet...

Well, my Funjet is done.

I haven't been flying much lately and I guess I got out of practice and messed up my launch. It rolled up sidedown which it has done on many occasions but instead of rolling with it, I pulled up (which the absolute wrong thing to do!). By the time I realized I was doing a stupid thing it was too late. Dumb thumbed it right into the ground. Completely smashed the nose - plane body was not salvageable. Amazing the electronics survived. Battery ejected taking the ESC and receiver with it. Must have been some soft ground - the battery basically looked untouched. A few bent pins on the receiver but easy to straighten out. Motor unscathed. Motor wires were tugged on but appears not to have affected it.

Oh well. Maybe time to get an Ultra. My last one was a regular funjet. But I'll probably take a break before getting another one.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Last edited by cjbucher; Dec 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:58 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
that is a really sweet paint job .
Thanks, - yes its very good in that way that when I am too far to bee sure of orientation - a quick roll until i see orange and the I know exactly how mu FJ is oriented. (all white on bottom)

It is flourosent Orange and is a pain to paint, - needs 4-5 times to make good coverage. The result is extremely visible and helps determine orientation on marginal light conditions.

Cheers

C
Cavokk is offline Find More Posts by Cavokk
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:39 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
250 Posts
SK3 on 5s and a APC 6.5x6.5 pulled a hair over 100amps static today.

Really scoots along in the air now. I'd guess 155-160ish, I need to get some video for analysis. The cool winter air is amazing, everything comes down with great temps.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:12 AM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
249 Posts
Do I need to use foam safe ca to put this ultra together?
dmaaero is offline Find More Posts by dmaaero
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:12 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaaero View Post
Yes

Cheers

C
Cavokk is offline Find More Posts by Cavokk
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Feb 2012
46 Posts
Quote:

you do not need foam safe ca to put any multiplex plane together. as per instructions, use medium ca with kicker. hope this helps.
BLAZE WON is offline Find More Posts by BLAZE WON
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:37 AM
E-Flight Addict
Weatherford, Tx.
Joined Oct 2003
1,329 Posts
If you use foam safe CA on Elapor, it doesn't get a good "bite" and will just pull away. I use Beacon Foam-Tac or Quick Grip and the stuff will never let go and stays flexible. You can get the quick grip at WalMart for around $3.49. Don't use Quick Grip on depron or bluecore though !
ronin8451 is offline Find More Posts by ronin8451
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:34 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
I used 5 min epoxy for the spar and wing/rudder components and used silicone adhesive for the turtle decks. The idea behind the silicone is to allow the safe easy removal of the turtle decks for future re-wiring and hop ups. The FJU should never experience any internal force that would push this off, unless of course you forget to strap in your lipo pack.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:51 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,044 Posts
Anyone cut an access hatch in the turtle deck to get to the wiring for fast motor/ESC swaps? If you did, could you please post pics of your hatch area. I'm trying to get some inspiration on how to do it.
Left Coast DJ is online now Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
249 Posts
click on a pic in this thread, under the pic click on pics in thread. you"ll see some that have been cut. click on that pic then you can click on post it will take you to the post that pic is in.

ca does not harm this elapor foam. I used accelator but have been letting the ca soak in around the spar for 30 mins now without accelator I also put a drop on the inside of the canopy to test.

I think I"ll cut my turtle deck at a angle an ca the hatch to the td like the guys in Germany are doing. Everythings been sanded an glued, hopefully it will get painted tomorrow an maidened sat.
dmaaero is offline Find More Posts by dmaaero
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:56 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
Well, my Funjet is done.

I haven't been flying much lately and I guess I got out of practice and messed up my launch. It rolled up sidedown which it has done on many occasions but instead of rolling with it, I pulled up (which the absolute wrong thing to do!). By the time I realized I was doing a stupid thing it was too late. Dumb thumbed it right into the ground. Completely smashed the nose - plane body was not salvageable. Amazing the electronics survived. Battery ejected taking the ESC and receiver with it. Must have been some soft ground - the battery basically looked untouched. A few bent pins on the receiver but easy to straighten out. Motor unscathed. Motor wires were tugged on but appears not to have affected it.

Oh well. Maybe time to get an Ultra. My last one was a regular funjet. But I'll probably take a break before getting another one.
Well I hope the crash doesn't dampen your spirit to badly ... but next time could you wear a gopro?.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:23 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Well I hope the crash doesn't dampen your spirit to badly ... but next time could you wear a gopro?.
It would have been a really short video with lots of explicatives at the end.

Actually the next day I took 3 planes out and flew them trying to get back on the saddle. No crashes. Not sure I'll get another funjet though - might try something different.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:45 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
250 Posts
Try the vertical launch method. Since I've switched to it, I've yet to botch a launch. It can roll as much as it wants while getting up to speed as it is going nowhere but up.

How to Hand Launch FunJet Vertically (1 min 22 sec)
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee