Is there a motor in the $25-$40 range that would work better for a FJU? Thanks
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1779917

Heres a good start and comes with prop
zeus3313 is offline Find More Posts by zeus3313
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Oct 2009
985 Posts
Hobbyking sells a 36mm inrunner that works..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=K5I_gxw-Gak
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:21 PM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,656 Posts
Thats fast!! I found a himax 2700kv. $45 used i will get that. Thanks zeus
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2010
205 Posts
Np
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:37 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
I agree with you 100% the low price is inviting ,but in the end it will cost you . i purchased 3 turnigy 2800mm motor all burned out on me within a few flights . total loss was 100.00 . as of right now i have a het a mega "although i have purchase a HK aerodrive sk3 1900kv motor . its my practice motor for hispeed ,for when i ready to play with the big boys.
I got caught up in that trick too!!!!!...as I was trying to go faster and faster...if I'd only bought a quality Motor to start with....I'd be havin alot fatter wallet...hehehe...

It was SOooo Tempting to buy those HK motors....I couldn't help myself...Then I realized....Dayum!!!..Did I ever git sucked into that Funnel.....Spent way way more Funds in the long run than I would've if I'd just bought a Quality Product to begin with....Still Kicks my Butt I did that......

Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:40 AM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,656 Posts
Here is what i am going to get.
Himax HA2825-2700kv
Zippy 3000mah 40c lipo
Turnigy plush 40a esc
The prop comes with the motor.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:45 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonafriedman View Post
Here is what i am going to get.
Himax HA2825-2700kv
Zippy 3000mah 40c lipo
Turnigy plush 40a esc
The prop comes with the motor.
3s or 4s?

What size prop? If you have too large of a prop and you are doing 4s, you will likely burn up the motor and/or ESC.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,530 Posts
Cheap motors hurt in 2 ways.

1. They may not last and you end up buying more of them
2. Or they do last but the performance sucks so now you end up with a paperweight when you realize it wasn't good enough.
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:55 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
Cheap motors hurt in 2 ways.

1. They may not last and you end up buying more of them
2. Or they do last but the performance sucks so now you end up with a paperweight when you realize it wasn't good enough.

Personally what I found was that cheap motors are just inefficient. I bought loads of different 2835 size motors, probabaly started with the old Turnigy's of varying kv's between 2700-3900kv (remember the Turnigy 3900kv version? ). I even bought different brands where the colour of the can was different so I thought it was a different motor (some probabaly were...). But results were pretty much the same, not as fast as I had hoped, most tests showed somewhere around the 40a mark and the motors got far too hot. It wasn't until I bought a 16/15/3 that I had my eyes opened. Suddenly I was using 25% less amps for a similar speed to the 2835's I had been using. Motor ran cooler on the same size prop and flight times went up due to less amp draw.

It's similar with servo's, although there are cheaper options that are ok, a lot of the servo's are just trash with poor centering. It takes a good few to find out which are good and which are carp. By which time you could have just bought some Hitec's/Futaba's/Airtronics etc.

I think that the more you get into the hobby, the more you realise that cheap doesn't work very well. When you 1st start flying you get all OCD about planes and tend to accumulate lots very quickly. You then try and make kitting them out as cheap as poss so you can get the next one.

The only exception is esc's, there's lots of those that are cheap and ok. Best bet is to give yourself lots of head room with them. Buy a 60a instead of the 40a when amp draw is 35a, or buy a 100a instead of a 80a when amp draw is 70a. The bigger esc is usually only a few more and it's a safer bet. Unless you can't physically fit the bigger esc in of course....

And Ubec's are ALWAYS a good idea....
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Oct 2009
985 Posts
Some HK stuff is not that cheap and works pretty well. I don't think you can lump the entire list of motors they sell into one basket. It does force you to be a more discerning shopper in order to find the gems..
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:13 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,239 Posts
HK sells Scorpion outrunners now. If you buy a Scorpion 2221 and a Turnigy 2836 and compare them, it's easy to see why the good one costs 4 times as much as the bad one... You can have both in the same shipment, but the cheapest will be obsolete.
I bet a dollar
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:11 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077 View Post
Some HK stuff is not that cheap and works pretty well. I don't think you can lump the entire list of motors they sell into one basket. It does force you to be a more discerning shopper in order to find the gems..
But how many motors do you end up buying before you find the gem? My 1st 2836 2350kv Turnigy WAS a gem, it ran flawlessly in my FJ for ages. It was the others I bought that were trash, along with a few other different motors I tried (all got decent reviews BTW). Care to share which you think are the gems?
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:35 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
Personally what I found was that cheap motors are just inefficient. I bought loads of different 2835 size motors, probabaly started with the old Turnigy's of varying kv's between 2700-3900kv (remember the Turnigy 3900kv version? ). I even bought different brands where the colour of the can was different so I thought it was a different motor (some probabaly were...). But results were pretty much the same, not as fast as I had hoped, most tests showed somewhere around the 40a mark and the motors got far too hot. It wasn't until I bought a 16/15/3 that I had my eyes opened. Suddenly I was using 25% less amps for a similar speed to the 2835's I had been using. Motor ran cooler on the same size prop and flight times went up due to less amp draw.

It's similar with servo's, although there are cheaper options that are ok, a lot of the servo's are just trash with poor centering. It takes a good few to find out which are good and which are carp. By which time you could have just bought some Hitec's/Futaba's/Airtronics etc.

I think that the more you get into the hobby, the more you realise that cheap doesn't work very well. When you 1st start flying you get all OCD about planes and tend to accumulate lots very quickly. You then try and make kitting them out as cheap as poss so you can get the next one.

The only exception is esc's, there's lots of those that are cheap and ok. Best bet is to give yourself lots of head room with them. Buy a 60a instead of the 40a when amp draw is 35a, or buy a 100a instead of a 80a when amp draw is 70a. The bigger esc is usually only a few more and it's a safer bet. Unless you can't physically fit the bigger esc in of course....

And Ubec's are ALWAYS a good idea....

haha that was me. i purchased a few planes i have regretted.. although i must admit i still buy cheap motors but thats for my scratch built planes.ironic that the motors last longer than my scratchbuilt planes. my favorite planes get the good stuff .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2010
205 Posts
which is faster Mega 16/25/3 or HET 2w 3 on 4S 3300? any clues?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:26 AM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,656 Posts
Alright i bought almost everything- 40c turnigy 2700mah lipo 3s, himax 2700kv, turnigy plush 40A esc, 4.75x4.75 prop. it should be pretty fast compared to my gliders!
Anyway, where is the CG supposed to go. Which method of launching is the easiest and safest for me and the airplane. Thanks
-jason