HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:22 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,291 Posts
Thanks Mopar..I will do as ya said for shore!!!..I've got the Aluminum Mounts on both Megas...

Hey FLAME747..I'm tryin to find the right time...seems my Timing with Fishin and the way the maintenance crew has been workin at the soccer field....I'm just not gettin the right time to fly.....I went twice this week to try....and the wind has shut me down....its been ridiculous this week..20 to 35 mph....can't fish in the crap either..Hope to get some flyin in next week...I'm bout to bust on Maiden these Megas...hehehe...

Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:09 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBillyFly View Post
Thanks Mopar..I will do as ya said for shore!!!..I've got the Aluminum Mounts on both Megas...

I went twice this week to try....and the wind has shut me down....its been ridiculous this week..20 to 35 mph....can't fish in the crap either..Hope to get some flyin in next week...I'm bout to bust on Maiden these Megas...hehehe...

Billy
If you had a Stryker, you could fly it in 50mph winds (at least I do)
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:35 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,095 Posts
Quote:
....and the wind has shut me down....its been ridiculous this week..20 to 35 mph....Billy
That's the reason I also fly slope gliders, and the more wind the better.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined Oct 2008
490 Posts
My slope soaring days have also made me love the wind - I get to the club and its deserted. I reckon the more wind the better for the FJ - helps the launch.
War Machine is offline Find More Posts by War Machine
Last edited by War Machine; Oct 26, 2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:28 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,291 Posts
Mopar I use to love flyin the Strykers....Your Absolutely Right....They were really Fun in the wind..and I could bring them into a decent slow landing without a mishap much of the time......While I was working on some Fishin equipment I got to thinkin maybe I'd ask your opinion on the Prop of your choice for the 16/35/2..what would you use....???....I don't really want to heat up any of my Megas...I've come to realize that heat is our worst enemy..I've got some Graupners...

I don't like Funjets in high wind simply because of hot landings.....when they weigh in at over 3#s its too easy to have a less than perfect landing...Several Funjets I've had in the past when it was very windy had some Landings I wasn't happy with.. ...just as your startin to touch down...a gust of wind hits ya and your less than level when ya touch.....its usually a rock and roll landing....there's nuthin more satisfyin than a straight in to a stop landing...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined Oct 2008
490 Posts
Thats true my FJ at 47oz comes in fast and skids along way down the runway. My biggest (and only) hate for the FJ are the launches. Twice Ive damaged mine from launching. Its the only damage its got which is a bit sad. I will soon try an 8" prop - I don't mind the torque roll.
War Machine is offline Find More Posts by War Machine
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:33 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
That's the reason I also fly slope gliders, and the more wind the better.
Many times I just head to the lake and find me a flat where the waves are crashin into the bankline and hammer the White Bass...

Not many slopes you can find around here without them littered with huge Oaks...hehehe
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:17 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Billy I actually prefer flying the FJ in high winds, it helps to slow it down on landing, without wind my last heavy came in faster than a stock PZ T28 at full throttle

I'm working on a new one, will post some more when it's done

Have FUN

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:37 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
Thats true my FJ at 47oz comes in fast and skids along way down the runway. My biggest (and only) hate for the FJ are the launches. Twice Ive damaged mine from launching. Its the only damage its got which is a bit sad. I will soon try an 8" prop - I don't mind the torque roll.
Hehe...ain't we all got our lil beefs with these Birds....I don't have any issues on Launches....after I started the 11:00 launches several years ago...they give me ample time for any slip ups....Yep be prepared for the rolls on a 8"..hehe...I've had several upside down liftoffs and I don't like the Butt crunches it makes me do...

Billy
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:45 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Billy I actually prefer flying the FJ in high winds, it helps to slow it down on landing, without wind my last heavy came in faster than a stock PZ T28 at full throttle

I'm working on a new one, will post some more when it's done

Have FUN

FCA
Oh I Agree FCA....it slows ya down some...but its the gusty winds here that tend to screw up my Landings....I sold my T28 last year...Just got too Bored with it..even after I put a 4 cell setup in it...I just wasn't gittin those thrills the fast planes give me...Nuthin like a Adrenaline Rush....almost as good as a Big Fish On!..hehe..

Billy
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:55 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
I hear ya billy, I turned my T-28 into a night flyer, but has since lost interest

Anyway playing around with various packs, I was able to CG my latest FJ with the following packs

6S 2500mAh 65C

5S 3300mAh 40C

4S 5000mAh 45C

It's HEAVY no way hand launching, bungee only

Will probably maiden with the 5S, only because I have several of those packs, so if something goes wrong at least my other birds won't be grounded

No clue on maiden date

FCA
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:58 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,095 Posts
Flame, how heavy is heavy?

I bought the PZ Spitfire Mk IX a couple of months ago. Bad move, BORING.....should have bought another DF and tried something different motor wise. Spit now sold....
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:03 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Hey Feefo, I'll throw it on the bathroom scale sometime later tonight or tomorrow

Electronics already installed, just need to install the control horns, rods and Clevis

I love the dog fighter, still gonna build another one, I was surprised the guys at the field did not care for it that much, probably due to the price, the newest bird is some pz old fashion bi plane, I won't be getting one

I'll get those #'s for you ASAP
Bathroom scale is gonna have to do

FCA
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:44 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,291 Posts
FCA...My First Ultra with the 16/40 weighed in around 53+ ozs..this second one I haven't weighed....the other Funjets i had were right in that weight I'd emagine...I kept one and gave 2 away for a 2.4 Trans. setup....I switched over recently to 2.4..I love it too...I power up all mine hand launchers to enough power that I think they can fly..and are wantin to pull away from my hand....then Launch them at the 11:00 angle....So far ain't lost a one ..before when I tried lower attacks in a few instances ...I didn't have enough time to Compensate for corrections.......Just had to follow through swiftly on 8" props..that was on the scorpion HK3216 1600 and those cheap turnegies 3648 1450s....I've got a Scorpion 3016 1900 on my DF...I run 6 cell 2700 65c/130c Voltz on the regular FJs...I've bought several other 6 cell batts to use on the two new Ultras..
Weighed mine on electronic fish scales...
War machine you'll git a torque roll if you goose them with the 8" props..I feather my WOTs slowly and don't git the torque...well ..not real bad...
..Suppers on better run
Billy
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:46 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,892 Posts
Quote:
maybe I'd ask your opinion on the Prop of your choice for the 16/35/2..what would you use....???....I don't really want to heat up any of my Megas...I've come to realize that heat is our worst enemy..I've got some Graupners...
You can run the Pylons if you want, just try the 6.5x5 first and see how the temps go ..............

My favorite prop on 16-35-2 with 6 cells is the venerable APC E 6x5.5 .......... WOT the whole time without a single second thought, and everything comes down as cool as the air around !! Were talking a legit straight and level 160 mph ......... mine dopplers in at 155 on this video due to the thrust line being off as you can see when I cut power, and the wing tips were missing some chunks , lastly, she was a little crooked in the battery section from having an elevon rip off with the 6x4 Sport

FJU 16 35 2 6s2650 APC E 6x5 5 66 deg F (0 min 48 sec)
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Last edited by moparmyway; Oct 26, 2012 at 08:52 PM.