HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:23 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,720 Posts
You got it Mopar!!!...Just waitin on my receivers...went to the field today and told the fellas I wasn't flyin....they didn't believe me...till I drove away...hehehe...I'm droolin all over my ...can't wait to fly these rascals..Later fellas..gonna go look for some Crawdads...

Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:02 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
249 Posts
Did my first vertical launch today. At a little over half throttle she rolled 360 degrees an flew away. That"s more fun than flying fast !!! Hope the next few go as well.
dmaaero is offline Find More Posts by dmaaero
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:24 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,603 Posts
[QUOTE=FlyBillyFly;22639000....gonna go look for some Crawdads...

Billy[/QUOTE]

Caught one of those last week Billy, with no bait! Called Crayfish over here tho.

For those who are using a de-cased Ice 100, how are you securing the FET's, if you are at all?

With mine getting the legs of the FET's broken, I'm looking at ways of making sure it won't happen again if I replace. 1 or 2 cable ties around them using the pos and neg wires as extra support seems to offer a lot of support, but not sure it's enough. Any other ideas?
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:46 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
My Funjet blew off the table last weekend at the field, taking half of the right Vertical fin with it.

Surprisingly I didn't see any change in flight characteristics.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:52 PM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaaero View Post
Did my first vertical launch today. At a little over half throttle she rolled 360 degrees an flew away. That"s more fun than flying fast !!! Hope the next few go as well.
Yep, thats my new favorite launch technique. Usually one 360 and then perfect control.
Piledriver is offline Find More Posts by Piledriver
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:57 AM
Paris, France
Joined Jan 2009
92 Posts
Funjet help me choose a power system

I've got an original funjet that i fitted with a microdan 2900kv, plush 40A, nanotech 4s 1000mAh 45C and 6x4 APC. It worked for a few flights before the motor burned up. Funjet was very light and nimble and I had zero trouble with launch.
So now I would like to move on to HET motor but I want to be able to reuse a plush 60A that I have laying around, retain easy launch behaviour and be able to upgrade to FJ Ultra later on.
So I was thinking I could go with a HET 2W20, a 2200mAh 3s battery and a 5x5 CAM speed prop along with my Plush 60A. Only thing is I am concerned with is getting over ESC or motor specs as well as potential timing issues with such high Kv motor. Indeed, my Plush 40A had trouble keeping up with 2900kv microdan on 4s.

Any thoughts?
Telechat is offline Find More Posts by Telechat
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:08 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
Caught one of those last week Billy, with no bait! Called Crayfish over here tho.

For those who are using a de-cased Ice 100, how are you securing the FET's, if you are at all?

With mine getting the legs of the FET's broken, I'm looking at ways of making sure it won't happen again if I replace. 1 or 2 cable ties around them using the pos and neg wires as extra support seems to offer a lot of support, but not sure it's enough. Any other ideas?
No way to get the case back on ?

If you really cant attach the case, then heat shrink the whole thing, and after it cools, use a hobby knife to trim it and open any areas for additional fresh air cooling.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:59 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
HS85's are said to be much better than the HS82's. I've used the old HS81's and never had a prob, and had the HS82's in a FVK Bandit without issues. Both planes would have been slower than my FJU though, so I went with HS85's.

External Bec, again your choice. Or a seperate RX battery but this is the heavier option.
Just perusing around, and found these.
HiTec just gave us a great option.

Run a small 2 cell LiPo for receiver power, with these servos and youre golden !!
Simple ....... no BEC, just a good old reliable small LiPo.
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-5087mh_servo.html
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:03 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telechat View Post
I've got an original funjet that i fitted with a microdan 2900kv, plush 40A, nanotech 4s 1000mAh 45C and 6x4 APC. It worked for a few flights before the motor burned up. Funjet was very light and nimble and I had zero trouble with launch.
So now I would like to move on to HET motor but I want to be able to reuse a plush 60A that I have laying around, retain easy launch behaviour and be able to upgrade to FJ Ultra later on.
So I was thinking I could go with a HET 2W20, a 2200mAh 3s battery and a 5x5 CAM speed prop along with my Plush 60A. Only thing is I am concerned with is getting over ESC or motor specs as well as potential timing issues with such high Kv motor. Indeed, my Plush 40A had trouble keeping up with 2900kv microdan on 4s.

Any thoughts?
Timing issues are really related to the number of poles the motor has. Inrunner motors have much lower pole counts. HET's are usually 6 pole motors and have no problems at all with Plush ESC's.

Outrunners in general usually have a lot more poles and because of that need to switch more often per revolution. If you go high in voltage (like 4s in your case), a cheaper ESC may not have a fast enough processor to keep up with how often the motor needs to switch and you end up with timing issues.

Don't go with the HET 2W20 though. 3400kv will only let you run small props. The Funjet really comes alive with a 6" or better prop. Go with the HET 2W25. This will still allow you to use your 60 amp ESC. You can run a graupner 6x5.5 prop on it and it will draw 62 amps static (less in the air) using a 3s battery. This will give you a 120 mph Funjet.

(I also have an original funjet and run this exact setup - except I'm using a plush 80 amp esc)

If you don't like running close to 60 amps, you can use the venerable APC 6x4 "sport" prop. It will get close to 110 and your amps will be around 47 amps.

Plus when you are ready for more speed, you can get a 4s for it and use the 6x4 sport prop for around 130 mph.

How's that?
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:12 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
No way to get the case back on ?

If you really cant attach the case, then heat shrink the whole thing, and after it cools, use a hobby knife to trim it and open any areas for additional fresh air cooling.
It looks like the mounting tabs of the case would need removing, and possibly the screw holes that hold the case halves together (ok there's 3 parts to the case but you know what I mean). Guess I'd have to glue the case together or use heatshrink if I wanted to use the case.

Or cut the turtle deck, fit the esc and then glue the deck. This is my last option, really don't want to do this.

The cable ties really help TBH but I'm getting all paranoid about the capacitors breaking again. The advice on the Schulze link a few posts back suggested CA'ing the pos and neg wires to the caps, but the CC wires are silicon and won't stick.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:16 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,621 Posts
Quote:
It looks like the mounting tabs of the case would need removing, and possibly the screw holes that hold the case halves together (ok there's 3 parts to the case but you know what I mean). Guess I'd have to glue the case together or use heatshrink if I wanted to use the case.

Or cut the turtle deck, fit the esc and then glue the deck. This is my last option, really don't want to do this.

The cable ties really help TBH but I'm getting all paranoid about the capacitors breaking again. The advice on the Schulze link a few posts back suggested CA'ing the pos and neg wires to the caps, but the CC wires are silicon and won't stick.
What if you just heat shrink the caps only (leave the heat sink open)?
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:28 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
What if you just heat shrink the caps only (leave the heat sink open)?
Not sure it'd be strong enough, the legs of the caps would still be the weak point. Unless you heatshrink over the battery wires too like the cable ties.

How do CC take to returning esc's without cases? If I 'adapted' the case I've got and used it on a new esc (meaning I've got an unmarked new case spare) I'd prob be happier to see if it trimming a case would work.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:49 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Just perusing around, and found these.
HiTec just gave us a great option.

Run a small 2 cell LiPo for receiver power, with these servos and youre golden !!
Simple ....... no BEC, just a good old reliable small LiPo.
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-5087mh_servo.html

There's quite a few servo's that can be run off a lifePO4 pack (6.6v), but 2s lipo's are too much. Atlas DS09FMD wing servo is one.

Atlas Hyperion are doing a range of HV servo's too, they can be run off a 2s lipo as well as a lifePO http://robotbirds.com/catalog/index....sort=2a&page=2

Or there's the Hitec wing servo http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php...15S&area=Servo , not exactly a budget servo tho.

A very quick look at Hobbyking and they're offer HV servo's too, but I didn't look a t how big they are.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:51 AM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,186 Posts
The earlier versions did not have the case extensions, and the caps broke, new cases support them very well. Take the case off and I don't think the caps will last too long. You could get a new one for 50% of retail with the old, or I would put servo tape on each side of the caps, heat shrink the whole thing, and cut the top for the heat sink and be done.
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:14 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,470 Posts
I scuff the case and epoxied the halves together.
Quote:

rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper