Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Slightly off topic, but where do I go to post questions on the FunJet (non-Ultra)?

It seems the original FunJet thread sadly fragmented into several less lively threads after a dispute one or two years ago. Several threads (some privately moderated, which I do not like by default) opened on subtopics, but no single one seems very active.

I'm still in the primary stages of the RC learning curve, so I went for the FunJet rather then the FJ Ultra, which Multiplex rates more difficult (4/4) to fly than the original (3/4). I lack of an up-to-date forum, I have purchased an 2835mm 2300kv inrunner, but now I'm suspecting, I should have gone for an outrunner

Thanks for any input!
Mike,
I have both the FJ and the FJU............ they are basically the same.
Anything stated regarding power systems is pretty much the same for eithor the FJ or the FJU.

Ask away, we are here to help

Inrunner / outrunner .............. I agree, go to the reviews as both kinds of motors can run efficiently and both can put a smile on your face !
With your FPV, do you have a specific prop in mind ?
Are you limited in ESC choice ?
Are you limited with weight, or do you need more out back to balance after installing the FPV equipment ?
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:55 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,363 Posts
All,

thanks for your inputs! I have also ordered a 2200KV 2836mm outrunner, that will run off 4S if need be. Going to higher voltage means that the current will drop for the same power. Also ordered a 3000KV 2836 outrunner, since I have far more 3S LiPos than 4S LiPos.

Since I have been advised not to stir up the efficiency debate, I'll just conclude, that at least outrunners are better cooled than inrunners

Basically, my style FPV doesn't require anything special, I just a plane better suited for the prevailing, strong winds in my part of the world. I believe a even a slow flying FJ will do the job
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimripper View Post
If anybody has this motor on hand and would like to help many others who would like to see the capabilities of what it will do "unassisted" in level flight,jump in and contribute the usefull data.
Rim,
I ordered 2 of these SK3 1900 kv motors today.
Expect to see one after I have taken a resistance reading and no load kv test.
I wont prop test the motor coming your way, so you will have a BRAND NEW one to hit with 6 cells and a 6.5x6.5 prop.

I would rather you fly it due to my 90-95 deg F temps, as I believe it will burn or be close to burning with a healthier battery and warmer temps, so your 50-55 deg temps beat mine .................. so long as you dont mind getting in some extra flights and a few minutes putting on bullets and swapping over to this 4 pole beast !!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:03 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
All,

thanks for your inputs! I have also ordered a 2200KV 2836mm outrunner, that will run off 4S if need be. Going to higher voltage means that the current will drop for the same power. Also ordered a 3000KV 2836 outrunner, since I have far more 3S LiPos than 4S LiPos.

Since I have been advised not to stir up the efficiency debate, I'll just conclude, that at least outrunners are better cooled than inrunners

Basically, my style FPV doesn't require anything special, I just a plane better suited for the prevailing, strong winds in my part of the world. I believe a even a slow flying FJ will do the job
Mike,
You might very well like your 2200kv motor with a 3 cell and an APC 7x5E prop. Shouldnt be too fast and should have plenty of thrust !!

Should be between 80-90 mph straight and level @ full tilt if your motor has decent efficiency
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaaero View Post
I mean the last 10 pages are about a sk3 motor out of a dive. So subtract 10mph an move on!
I have gotten up to 30 mph faster in a dive than straight and level in the same flight.

With a 4 pole spinning over 30k ...(not just the SK3)........ there might be even more of a speed difference between diving and straight and level.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Rim,
I ordered 2 of these SK3 1900 kv motors today.
Expect to see one after I have taken a resistance reading and no load kv test.
I wont prop test the motor coming your way, so you will have a BRAND NEW one to hit with 6 cells and a 6.5x6.5 prop.

I would rather you fly it due to my 90-95 deg F temps, as I believe it will burn or be close to burning with a healthier battery and warmer temps, so your 50-55 deg temps beat mine .................. so long as you dont mind getting in some extra flights and a few minutes putting on bullets and swapping over to this 4 pole beast !!
Not a problem!!!
Looking forward to it!!!!!
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:55 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,491 Posts
Yeah it was used by 'a few' on the original FJ, but so was the 3200kv (3s @5.5x4.5 prop). I liked the 2350kv because it was quiet, the 3200 was a screamer. 2350kv on 4s was similar to the 3200 on 3s IIRC. Never tried different props myself, but I think you could go a bit bigger with a sport prop, maybe 6.5x6.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,343 Posts
Well..got the new FJU roughed out (glassed, nylon control horns, etc) and the SK3 just showed up! So hopefully will find out if I can break the 200 barrier. 5s or 6s..thats the big question at the moment..
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:27 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,172 Posts
Look at the pictures with additional cooling, I think is helps the motor and ESC quite a bit. The only worry on 5S for me was the bigger prop to get the watts, and the negative effect on torque roll, and would I get the RPM's needed for fast speeds? I did not try it though, so it may work out just fine. Mine balances perfect, but not a lot of leeway with motor weight and battery weight, for now they match perfectly.
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Last edited by markusvt; Aug 13, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:27 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaaero View Post
I mean the last 10 pages are about a sk3 motor out of a dive. So subtract 30mph an move on! .....
I fixed it, an a full page of good info. Thanks guys I saw a video of a fpv fj above the clouds, that was pretty cool!!!
dmaaero is offline Find More Posts by dmaaero
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:34 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Mopar,

The 1900KV seems a little low to me....I have not used a calculator.
Yup, your carefull eye was correct again.
Gryph and Fly Billy Fly,
ICE shows me 1980kv @ 11.0 volts on my 16-30-2e F5D motor
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt View Post
Look at the pictures with additional cooling, I think is helps the motor and ESC quiet a bit. The only worry on 5S for me was the bigger prop to get the watts, and the negative effect on torque roll, and would I get the RPM's needed for fast speeds? I did not try it though, so it may work out just fine. Mine balances perfect, but not a lot of leeway with motor weight and battery weight, for now they match perfectly.
Hi Markus,
I have been meaning to ask you ............. kept forgetting
Your cooling holes, are they straight in @ 90 deg angles, or did you set them on different angles to try to draw air in or out ?

Any way to post them up again, maybe some more so we can see the details easily ?

The hole you show does look angled ???
Last edited by moparmyway; Aug 13, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:04 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
everyone is ok to do what they want,, and claim what they want,, BUT I know for sure, numbers in level flight is data we can use and make some comparising,, its not about bully others with HK motors to show Mega or NEU motors are best, then you all got it wrong,,,, Im sure no one is abused/bullied feeling by others when telling them to make a level flight.. if this is the case, IM SORRY if I hurt others feeling, I REALLY AM.. I will NEVER ask anyone to do a level pass if thats BULLYING..
YOUR SARCASTIC APOLOGY JUST SHOW WHO YOU REALLLY ARE . IS THAT NECCESSARY ,I MEAN REALLY . ALSO AT NO POINT DID I MENTION THOSE MOTORS(MEGA OR NUE) OR CARE IF THERE BETTER.I DONT EVEN CARE ABOUT THE SK3 MOTOR ITS BEYOND MY LEVEL OF FLYING SO I DONT EVEN KNOW WHY YOU WOULD BRING UP THOSE TWO MOTORS ,UNLESS YOU HAVE SOME HIDDEN AGENDA . WHICH SEEMS LIKELY TO ME .
YOU STATED IN THE BEGINING OF THIS REPLY (I know for sure, numbers in level flight is data we can use and make some comparising)

WHO IS WE WHO CARES WHAT THIS WE PERSON OR PERSONS WANT AND WHAT THOSE WE WANT TO COMPARE IT WITH . HMMMM AND THEN CONSTANTY ASKING AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN .
AND AGAIN AND AGAIN . OOOH WE JUST WANT A LEVEL FLIGHT , THAT IS ALL THAT IS COMING OUT OF YOUAND THESE "WE".PERSON OR PERSONS . IT MAY NOT BE BULLYING TO YOU BUT TO ME IF SOMEONE KEEPS ASKING ME TO DO SOMETHING I DONT WANT ITS CALLED HARRASSMENT ( SORT OF LIKE BULLYING)
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:10 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
I assume post #6810 is regarding Rim's flight. Not sure after all of the posts.

It was me who recommended HET 2W-30 on here against others who said it was heavy way back in the day.
It can also do well in a FJ using 5S , not just 4S.

G-Forse,

You are on the right track with long 36mm HET for high speed.
In this application 6 pole is best (Apples to Apples).
HET has 4 pole and 6 pole depending on size.
I think their longest one's (maybe long 39mm) are 4 pole...huge/heavy beasts.
Have not clicked on your links yet, but you know what you are doing.
Look forward to your 200+ MPH passes.

Gryphon
--The newer HET Typhoon 650 and 700 series motors are all 4 pole 36mm and 39mm in varying sizes and available kv
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:37 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Well...on a lighter note

I mounted my eagletree speedo and it said I went over 3000miles an hour this morning on my first flight. So either that is incorrect, or I have the fastest FJ in the world and I'm competing with the SR71. I'm not sure why it was reading stupid but oh well, got a couple more flights in. I'll update on how much flight time I'm getting as I go, but so far I'm limiting it to 4mins and it seems I'm putting back in around 2000mah in my 3300mah pack. But I'm going to test somemore before I start extending flight times.
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6