Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:16 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forse View Post
Yeah sounds crazy to push foam but its a Funjet thing. Besides the phat FJ is easier to see and a lot cheaper. Cheapest speed around.
Ha, just bustin ya'lls chops. I just finished my FJ ultra. I set a more realistic goal of around 140ish with my setup lol....I plan to maiden it tomorrow morning first thing!
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:18 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
Ha, just bustin ya'lls chops. I just finished my FJ ultra. I set a more realistic goal of around 140ish with my setup lol....I plan to maiden it tomorrow morning first thing!
I am eager to know how it goes. Is this still the same setup we talked about, back when?

If so, you will get 140mph easy. It will take a long flat and level run (5-6 sec) or an easy dive.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:53 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,757 Posts
Quote:
--Doppler runs from Right -to- Left Downwind

1:16 -- 183mph
2:22 -- 201 mph
3:27 -- 188mph
4:10 -- 195 mph

--My opinion-- I believe the setup demostrated a solid 180mph+ for level flight -- "maybe" 190mph fresh pack and clean run

--Some of these dopplered runs were closer to the endpoint of the dive than others -- in other words the airframe had not time to settle into cruise speed before it passed the recording device and was still carrying energy from the dive.

--Downwind runs subtract at least 5mph

website -- http://www.dauch.fr/ -- scroll down to 17/12/ 2011
thats what I have said from the beggining , a true 190-195mph setup...,, Remember, on that video he is only flying the 6x6 prop, the 6.5x6.5 will take it 10-15 mph more.

We will see when its time for my SK3 super motor to be pushed
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:47 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I am eager to know how it goes. Is this still the same setup we talked about, back when?

If so, you will get 140mph easy. It will take a long flat and level run (5-6 sec) or an easy dive.
Yep same setup that you gave me. 2w30 het, 100A, 4s 3300. I let you know how it goes...
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:28 AM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,176 Posts
No false info posted by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Markusvt - Let me make one thing crystal clear to you & your dreamer friends

No I do not have it "all figured out" Nor have I made any speed claims, got that.

My problem is guys like you posting false info, maybe you had a good speed run, and caught it on tape, next flight motor went up in smoke - Did you post about it?
If you did smoke your "SK3" would you post about it?

Many guys get into this hobby, thinking I'm gonna copy xxx setup and go 300 mph, only to encounter failure after failure - Do you see where I am going with this.

You come across like the type that will see newbie at the field, know very well he can't fly the plane he has, but instead of helping - you just stand by.

The main problem, is not which brand it better, let's be clear about that
but guys posting up "Speed Claims" with no back up, no data =

Me I just have a pinto FunJet

Have FUN,

FCA

P.S Habitual lying - is not something to be proud of
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Last edited by markusvt; Aug 13, 2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:08 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Rim -- nice runs and video

At 70 deg F I doppler as follows:

run 1:47 at 179mph

run 2:16 at 149 mph

--For a upwind and downwind two-way average of 164mph--(different doppler programs and users may calibrate differently; however they should be relatively close enough)
Run the video again ........ but put in 55 deg F instead of 70 deg F
His 1:47 run was well over 180.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:10 AM View Post
FLAME747
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while FLAME747 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:31 AM
Nemo in a blender
The Netherlands-Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
Hi guys,

I've a FJU with a 2W20 I would like to run on 4S.

What prop size should I use and what max amp can I expect?

Have been flying this bird for a year with a 3000Mah 40C 3S lipo and 6x4 apc prop with a 65 Amp ESC (Turnigy Plush)

Hope I can get the amps enough down to keep the ESC instead of having to buy a new one.

The 4S batteries are already in the house for another hobby (multicopters).
So a step up battery wise could be a case of downsizing the prop to maybe a 4.7x4.7 cam speed?

TIA!
Connexxion is offline Find More Posts by Connexxion
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:28 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
thats what I have said from the beggining , a true 190-195mph setup...,, Remember, on that video he is only flying the 6x6 prop, the 6.5x6.5 will take it 10-15 mph more.

--180's-190'mph -- not bad for $50 -- Any reasonable person will recognize this

--hopefully people are upgrading their airframes as necessary for safe flying

at minimum:

2-56 control rods
hs85mg servos or equivelant
taped hinges
reinforced motor mount area
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Last edited by G-Forse; Aug 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:06 PM
Account closed
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post

Thank you for coming back Sebbe!!! When you average those 4 speeds, its 191.5 mph on a 6 x 6. I have a 6.5 x 6.5 on mine. So, by Seebes 10-15 mph kick for this prop it puts the FJ up to(lets add 12 mph) 203.5. NOW add my altitude kick in for 7200 msl of 16 mph and now we see 219.5 mph. Now the glass covering and smoother wings for another 3 percent kick plus proper cg and thrust angle we are at 226.085 mph.( the proper cg and thrust angle came after numerious runs with 3 other FJ's, it does give a bump in speed when its all set right!!)
I already posted I made level passes which came after shallow dives because I gained altitude during the turns. This 226 mph supports my rcspeedo android read outs shown below!!!!!!!!!!

DISCLAIMER...No records sought or wanted!!

Thank you Sebbe for coming back and straighting these guys out!! Your the best level headed and fair guy we got on this forum and please stick around!!

Have the new 7 x 10's now and a very high C 5S battery. The hub dia is small and we have to tap it for the 5 mm collett we are using. So, we should have it up and running on Tuesday. Will do video on the 7 X 10 and we won't be doing anymore 6.5 x 6.5 prop runs on this SK 3 FJ unless the SK3 survives the 7 X 10 prop. I really don't think it has many more runs left in it as we are pushing it way past its limits.

Rimreaper, I won my poker game last night (speed costs money, now got extra bucks) so have a new weapon coming which is 36mm and good for 3500 watts, now thats going to be pure speed for sure!!!!!

Again thanks Sebbe and Gene(post #6641 and #6646) for helping with all the information!!

Best, regards, Tom.
Pilotnx211 is offline Find More Posts by Pilotnx211
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:30 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,438 Posts
Good luck getting those numbers to match in flight......3500 watts...are you wanting that at the start or unloaded???
Good luck,you'll need it...post up your video when or if you fly.

By the way....my ultra is built with 2-56 rod and taped top and bottom hinges....with a finger nail size chunck out of the left aileron!!!!!
Bwahahaha....

Looking forward to seeing if your cheque will even cash!!!!

Just a stab in the dark but looking at your rc speedo I'm guessing your part of the extreme diving team also??
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:50 PM
Account closed
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
[QUOTE=rimripper;22425582]Good luck getting those numbers to match in flight......3500 watts...are you wanting that at the start or unloaded???
Good luck,you'll need it...post up your video when or if you fly.

""By the way....my ultra is built with 2-56 rod and taped top and bottom hinges....with a finger nail size chunck out of the left aileron!!!!!
Bwahahaha....""""

Thats why we use the 1 1/2oz. fiberglass colth for covering. With the polycrylic it adds strenght so it helps limit the damage from landing, etc. It really helps make the wing stiff and smooth...i.e. light spackle also helps in filling of the low points!

""Looking forward to seeing if your cheque will even cash!!!!""

Only cash in our crowd, can't walkin without greenbacks in your hand!!

""Just a stab in the dark but looking at your rc speedo I'm guessing your part of the extreme diving team also?""

Ya, the Olympic diving team. On the vertical took out 3 sparrows, one love dove and some joker in a pear tree!(think it was a guy who drives a Pinto).

Best,
regards, Tom.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:59 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,438 Posts
Oh I've got a modded FJ,I just want to push the plain airframe to its limits.....you seem to talk lots with no action...instead of all the talk lets see some action!!!!
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:45 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,757 Posts
Tom, to get this right, I think you are taking own words to help your self a bit to much, hehe...what I was saying is, I think the sk3 motor with 6s and those props(6x6 and 6.5x6.5) are good for doppler readings around 190-200mph if you dive first, exactly like the french guy does, and you have to gain speed at least for 4-5 seconds it seems, VERY good for a 50 buck motor, I didnt say the high altitude + cloth + better CG and other stuff would add 26mph extra,. thats your business ,, I have no clue how much extra speed, a smoother sufrace will do , or running that ultra in higher space altitude ,

What I do know is: Without diving and running both directions, I think doppler will show 180-190mph, NO more..

WITH diving and extra wind, yes hell, you can gain a lot, maybee 226 or 230mph is possible, I dont know, but for me and many others this is not important, as this is something i can do with any heavy fast airframe just by diving, dont tell you much about the power of the setup really, this is why I think its best to run doppler with no dives in both directions...

but of course, if you are into diving with help from wind and thinner air and feel the speed, YES, it can be really fast, but then you are into other teritory I think, because know you are helped by Gravity, wind, thin air maybee weight, and thats not a fair way to compare speed to other funjets..... to compare setups it must be same way.... thats all Im saying

Sebbe..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Last edited by sebbe; Aug 12, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:47 PM
Account closed
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
[QUOTE=sebbe;22426121]Tom, to get this right, I think you are taking own words to help your self a bit to much, hehe...what I was saying is, I think the sk3 motor with 6s and those props(6x6 and 6.5x6.5) are good for doppler readings around 190-200mph if you dive first, exactly like the french guy does, and you have to gain speed at least for 4-5 seconds it seems, VERY good for a 50 buck motor, I didnt say the high altitude + cloth + better CG and other stuff would add 26mph extra,. thats your business ,, I have no clue how much extra speed, a smoother sufrace will do , or running that ultra in higher space altitude ,

What I do know is: Without diving and running both directions, I think doppler will show 180-190mph, NO more..

WITH diving and extra wind, yes hell, you can gain a lot, maybee 226 or 230mph is possible, I dont know, but for me and many others this is not important, as this is something i can do with any heavy fast airframe just by diving, dont tell you much about the power of the setup really, this is why I think its best to run doppler with no dives in both directions...

but of course, if you are into diving with help from wind and thinner air and feel the speed, YES, it can be really fast, but then you are into other teritory I think, because know you are helped by Gravity, wind, thin air maybee weight, and thats not a fair way to compare speed to other funjets..... to compare setups it must be same way.... thats all Im saying

Sebbe,

Where your at, is where you are. Where we are, is where we are at.

Better said..........."To raise new questions, new possibilities, to regard old problems from a new angle, requires creative imagination and marks real advance in science."

- Albert Einstein

See, we believe and have shown through various videos and pictures that the FJ can go faster. We will not limit our thinking in not finding better ways to do so.

We had stress cracks and elevon flutter without the covering @ 165 mph. We over came that problem using inexpensive covering. Speed wize, the airfoil with the turbine, shows its even faster yet.
Acceptance is difficult for some and they will stay in their comfort zone as underachivers for all of their life. We choose and have lived another path. Good luck on your build and heres hoping you may have learned something in which others have shared and that your FJ will fly faster than you ever thought.

Best,
regards, tom.