Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
G-Forse,

Don't do it.
Just hold off and watch.

Gryphon
G-Forse........ I am willing and have the funds to just waste motors. Since you asked, its what we have planned. We even have new motor's coming and more mods planned for another FJ build.
Hmmmm....that will be #5 and my buddy is up on #6.

Where our RC field is at, we can't fly turbines because of possible fod. So, its what we have left to go fast. We got other "stuff" too, so its all fun for us. Heck, even seen the speed runs at White Sands pushing past 6,000 mph!!

So, if your planning on smokin this motor, well, go for it. But thats your choice. Best of luck. Also, in this fellas video I believe on the last or so run, he burned the bearings out. Remember its only rated for 1770 watts, so we are really pushing it way past its limits. 48 bucks is loose change in my pocket and its all for fun!

Best,
Regards, Tom.
Pilotnx211 is offline Find More Posts by Pilotnx211
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:17 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotnx211 View Post
7 x 10 is what my next step is, on a 5S 3000ma 40C. Yes, the 2200 ma 40C is "HOT" and will be short lived. Weight at our altitude is a big factor we think about. This SK3 is not a light motor!

Regards, Tom.
--It would seem that prop would be better suited for 4s at 1900kv, but if you can get a run or two out of it on 5s, why not. I would have guessed 7x7 or equivilent

--Not so much concerned about weight, mainly concerned about getting it airborne;
however, using a launcher takes away a lot of risk for person and plane
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:23 AM
Account closed
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forse View Post
--It would seem that prop would be better suited for 4s at 1900kv, but if you can get a run or two out of it on 5s, why not. I would have guessed 7x7 or equivilent

--Not so much concerned about weight, mainly concerned about getting it airborne;
however, using a launcher takes away a lot of risk for person and plane
We ran across another video on a fella with a FJ. He has been running a SK3 also. He also has been turning a 7 x 7 prop. Hes been really happy with that set up and does hand launches, but hes down near sea level. He broke the prop and stumbled on the 7 x 10. He was then amazed on the speed he picked up. Not sure to his battery C or ma, but thats what I came across. Also, not sure how long it lasted!!
best,
regards, Tom.
Pilotnx211 is offline Find More Posts by Pilotnx211
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:25 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
G-Forse,

Don't do it.
Just hold off and watch.

Gryphon
--I hear ya

--It's like most any high stakes motorsports racing. The powertrain is pretty much expendable. At least with relatively inexpensive motors, a person can more afford to go through two or three different setups, then back off and run something more reasonable.

--I would like to get at least 20 flights out of an xtreme setup though, well, maybe less for bragging rights
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,405 Posts
"then back off "

in your dreams!
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:40 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
Funjet Ultra pass (0 min 5 sec)

Turnigy SK3 Fandrive - 3659-1900kv
6.5x6.5 Graupner speed prop
6s 2650mah 45c
Hobbyking 190A ESC

--Not my aircraft or video--found this on youtube--

--My doppler program indicates 191mph on this pass
Last edited by G-Forse; Aug 10, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:28 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,813 Posts
Tom, YES reinforce the motorarea, very carefully.. Thats why I will bungee start it, to much power to be 2 inches away from wrist...And I will NEVER go away , not until you dreamers start getting realistic about that HK motor and fat foamie plane, hehe..

G-Forse , I see you fly a little bit from camera, I would think that pass was 195mph if flown straight over camera, EXACTLY like my prediction, this is a maximun 200mph setup, NO MORE..and that is freaking fast..... I see you have 45C lipos, 65C could give you 200mph.. NICE ,, was that with the wind ? dive ?
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Last edited by sebbe; Aug 10, 2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:57 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
That's frightening!

It doesn't take much power to do serious damage to your hand. Last fall my 250 watt delta plane cut into my wrist while I was holding the plane because I accidentally bumped the throttle while walking out into the field. The prop tip sliced into my wrist like butter. Ended up with stitches and a particially cut tendon. Took about 6 months before I could lift something heavy again.
If you use a switch for throttle kill/ throttle inactive it helps to avoid it. I've knocked the throttle plenty of times myself and have found a switch really helps to stop those 'clutz' moments.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:46 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotnx211 View Post
Thats NOT my video. Read the meter....it shows alot of information including volts! Better idea, before you start another rant, buy the motor for 48 bucks and run your own tests!!! Your just another perfect example of an expert who knows so much about so little!!
LMAO........Go back to racing your Pinto!
Posting someone's else's video, ha even lower

Sorry dude but again, I can run static test all day using large packs, and post large numbers. But can I fit 4 lipo's in a fun jet. NO
so what do you think is gonna happen when I actually fly that setup with a smaller pack?

Not a expert, I've posted many times just a newbie
Wonder how many of they motor have gone up in smoke

Have fun, its obvious dreaming is a sport for some people on this thread

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:57 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
If you use a switch for throttle kill/ throttle inactive it helps to avoid it. I've knocked the throttle plenty of times myself and have found a switch really helps to stop those 'clutz' moments.
Good advice. Sadly, this is one of my cheapie scratch built blue foam planes where it basically was built with left over parts. Never thought it could bite so hard.

Lesson learned.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:34 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
G-Forse , I see you fly a little bit from camera, I would think that pass was 195mph if flown straight over camera, EXACTLY like my prediction, this is a maximun 200mph setup, NO MORE..and that is freaking fast..... I see you have 45C lipos, 65C could give you 200mph.. NICE ,, was that with the wind ? dive ?

--The above video is not my aircraft, I found it scrolling through youtube. It seems like a descent level pass to at least get an idea of the capabilities of the listed setup.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:50 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
It isnt the best level pass, slight curve to doppler shift.
197 mph, but it is still only one way.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,405 Posts
"can I fit 4 lipo's in a fun jet. NO"

I don't understand this.

I run 6s 3000's and 6s 2700's so what's the problem with 4s?

Yes you do have to open up the battery bay but...?
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:21 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
--It was just for reference

-- 190'smph isn't bad for $50

--Nose it over just a tad and you have got 200mph+ bragging rights

--In my opinion, level fight passes are best way to test speed on a power system; however, if the entire flight path is kept
under 200ft above the ground, that is acceptable to me. A 150ft "dive" from pattern altitude will allow shorter field flying area without
long runup to get speed. However, aircraft should be flying level 300ft before and 300ft after it passes recording device.
Last edited by G-Forse; Aug 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave View Post
"can I fit 4 lipo's in a fun jet. NO"

I don't understand this.

I run 6s 3000's and 6s 2700's so what's the problem with 4s?

Yes you do have to open up the battery bay but...?
Pay attention to the video, static testing being done with 4 I say again 4 lipo's
You think he's able the fit 4 lipo packs in a fj

I give up, I'll just let the dreamers keep on dreaming

Have Fun,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747