Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:39 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-speed buff View Post
Torque roll at high power and speed is normal for a standard FJU around and above 150mph.
That is why I modified my FJU, to keep it flyable with a 2Kw+ drive system.
I found out that with a spot on C of G and the rim around the nose removed it was running at high speed without torque roll with 7in props.
I now fly with a carbon 7x11E prop ~175mph (0n 4S!) without torque roll.

Grtz rené
Are you running a 28mm motor with 7x11 on 4S?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:56 AM
186mph Funjet Ultra
nieuw vennep, the netherlands
Joined Feb 2010
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Are you running a 28mm motor with 7x11 on 4S?
No, a Turnigy T3648-1450 outrunner!

Grtz René
E-speed buff is offline Find More Posts by E-speed buff
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:59 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,676 Posts
Quote:

Grtz René
Ah, thanks.

I just got my 4S 3300mah 65C yesterday

Looking forward to some flights on my new Ultra. Haven't flow it since my mid-air.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:08 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
spcpicard...

I'm not sure if what I had was torque roll, but mine would roll to the left a little too. I figured I had built it slightly wonky , or maybe the left wing was slightly heavier as it would roll slightly when resting on the table (not sure if 'roll' describes it properly, more of a lean towards the left, sometimes it would roll off the flat belly, sometimes it wouldn't, depending on where abouts on the table it was put!!). I added a 7g weight (approx) on the rh wing, which has cured any probs when stationary, and in flight.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Last edited by feefo; Jun 08, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:15 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
spcpicard...

I'm not sure if what I had was torque roll, but mine would roll to the left a little too. I figured I had built it slightly wonky , or maybe the left wing was slightly heavier as it would roll slightly when resting on the table (not sure if 'roll' describes it properly, more of a lean towards the left, sometimes it would roll off the flat belly, sometimes it wouldn't, depending on where abouts on the table it was put!!). I added a 7g weight (approx) on the rh wing, which has cured any probs when stationary, and in flight.
That reminds me, both of my orignal Funjets (white) used to torque roll at full throttle. It would take up to 40% right aileron to keep it level when running anything over 900watts or so.

I have never had that issue with the Ultra
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:22 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
Just got off my ar*e and checked, closer to 2g on the wing TBH. Not sure why I thought it was 7g.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:30 PM
United States, LA, West Monroe
Joined May 2007
75 Posts
Its trimmed fine for half throttle or so, but at full throttle its like it needs to be trimmed more to the right, thats why i was thinking it was torque related. If i trim it for full throttle then when i slow down it pulls to the right. I also checked my horizontal thrust angle and it looks good also, maybe I should adjust it to counter the left roll.
spcpicard is offline Find More Posts by spcpicard
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:00 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,461 Posts
I know on a small wing..and Big Prop....you git torque ...No gittin away from it...On Fast Trigger throttle...Mine will torque upon take off...but once I'm up to speed...Flies level...other than sometimes climbing..before I can Trim...I've got 3 FJs...all big motors...and all are the same symptoms.its a reflex of a Big propeller and Motor unloading on the Bird.....I have..and this will work..others say it doesn't...but works for me...trim right eleron up about 1/8" when ya launch...that compensates torque...then re trim after your going...The Nose Has Nothing to do with torque...Hold your plane steady in your hand and hit the throttle hard for just an instant..you'll see torque....thats what happens in the air...Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Last edited by FlyBillyFly; Jun 08, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:02 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Torque roll at high power and speed is normal for a standard FJU around and above 150mph.
That is why I modified my FJU, to keep it flyable with a 2Kw+ drive system.
I found out that with a spot on C of G and the rim around the nose removed it was running at high speed without torque roll with 7in props.
I now fly with a carbon 7x11E prop ~175mph (0n 4S!) without torque roll.

Grtz rené
You must be talking about Diving....I've heard the rim can cause the bird to dive...but torque....Not Hardly....torque is a reflex from the motor to the prop...Billy
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:15 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,550 Posts
My Funjet goes 400 mph. No torque roll at all.

My setup?

A box with packing peanuts and a 2nd day air shipping label.

cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:17 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
My Funjet goes 400 mph. No torque roll at all.

My setup?

A box with packing peanuts and a 2nd day air shipping label.

Now Your Talkin......Pass the Popcorn!!!...Billy
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:40 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Aug 2011
294 Posts
Quote:

Grtz René
are you running this on a 4s with 7x11 carbon prop ? how fast does it go and how many amp and watt are you pulling ?
kayvannouri is offline Find More Posts by kayvannouri
Old Jun 08, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, LA, West Monroe
Joined May 2007
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBillyFly View Post
I know on a small wing..and Big Prop....you git torque ...No gittin away from it...On Fast Trigger throttle...Mine will torque upon take off...but once I'm up to speed...Flies level...other than sometimes climbing..before I can Trim...I've got 3 FJs...all big motors...and all are the same symptoms.its a reflex of a Big propeller and Motor unloading on the Bird.....I have..and this will work..others say it doesn't...but works for me...trim right eleron up about 1/8" when ya launch...that compensates torque...then re trim after your going...The Nose Has Nothing to do with torque...Hold your plane steady in your hand and hit the throttle hard for just an instant..you'll see torque....thats what happens in the air...Billy
Im not refering to torque on take off, but full speed, my 1st fj with recommended motor would torque on launch, but it didn't roll at full speed.
spcpicard is offline Find More Posts by spcpicard
Old Jun 08, 2012, 04:39 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,820 Posts
Guys,

Regarding torque roll:
What about airframe strengthening mods for high speed.

Makes a difference regular FJ versus FJU.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Jun 08, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:12 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBillyFly View Post
....and this will work..others say it doesn't...but works for me...trim right eleron up about 1/8" when ya launch...that compensates torque...then re trim after your going......Billy
FlyBilly, it might work, the only problem I have with that is that you don't know for sure that you elevons are level once trimmed out after launch. It might fly level, but is 1 elevon slightly raised compared to the other? Personally I think it's better to launch with them level, trim for level flight, and then check where they sit after landing. You can work out what needs doing to keep the elevons level and give level flight after that. It's all personal preference tho, if it works for you then fair enough. But peer pressure says .....'set them level and go with the torque roll launch technique',.... go on.....you know you want to try....