HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2012, 01:46 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
I have one of these 5x5 scimitar style props around...would this hold up to ~1000W?
http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...itar-prop.html

Thanks
Both EMP and TRG (hobby city) make better 5x5 props. (the one in your link is an EMP prop)

Usually the rating is by RPM. You probably want to find the manufacturers rating on that prop and make sure it's within the limit of the RPM your setup generating.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 02:08 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
Part of the problem is that 5x5 prop (especially if it's an APC prop). APC makes great props but the 5x5 is one of their worst. It really was only made for fast pylon planes that have very low drag.
I'm not convinced it's that good on pylon planes either TBH. I've got a Simprop Turn Left (ok, only an F5D trainer) and the worst seemed to be the 5x5 when I used to run a Het 3W. I agree it takes a little to get going, but I'm not convinced it was any quicker than a 4.75x4.75. Launching was never a problem so I didn't try a 5.25x4.75, I figured it'd spin slightly slower so kept the square 4.75 on.

I'm not a fan of those EMP props either.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old May 23, 2012, 02:49 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
I'm not convinced it's that good on pylon planes either TBH. I've got a Simprop Turn Left (ok, only an F5D trainer) and the worst seemed to be the 5x5 when I used to run a Het 3W. I agree it takes a little to get going, but I'm not convinced it was any quicker than a 4.75x4.75. Launching was never a problem so I didn't try a 5.25x4.75, I figured it'd spin slightly slower so kept the square 4.75 on.

I'm not a fan of those EMP props either.
A few years ago I posted a thread in the Power Systems section about how terrible I thought this prop was. Many people agreed but a few of the high performance plane guys defended the prop saying it worked well in their application.

Also Dr Kiwi who does a lot of power system evaluations agreed that it was indeed a terrible prop.
Old May 23, 2012, 03:34 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,602 Posts
I used to run the 5x5 on a TT Velocity (Projeti clone) with a 2700kv outrunner. At the time it seemed ok, and was visually faster than a 5.5x4.5. Maybe it does 'work' on certain motors and airframes, maybe a much higher RPM is needed to get the best from it?

I've also got the 4.75 (dia) x5.5 (pitch) pylon prop. Again it doesn't seem to work as well as some motor calc programs suggest it should. I think it might need the pilot to be more presise in turns to get the best from it, basically to keep the plane 'on song' the whole time or you lose the benefit of it?
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old May 23, 2012, 04:17 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
I used to run the 5x5 on a TT Velocity (Projeti clone) with a 2700kv outrunner. At the time it seemed ok, and was visually faster than a 5.5x4.5. Maybe it does 'work' on certain motors and airframes, maybe a much higher RPM is needed to get the best from it?

I've also got the 4.75 (dia) x5.5 (pitch) pylon prop. Again it doesn't seem to work as well as some motor calc programs suggest it should. I think it might need the pilot to be more presise in turns to get the best from it, basically to keep the plane 'on song' the whole time or you lose the benefit of it?
I did several tests with the 5x5 and the 5.5x4.5 and used doppler to compare. The 5.5x4.5 was consistently faster and had better acceleration. This was on a 2700 kv turnigy and a 40" flying wing.
Old May 23, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
Which prop is faster depends a lot on the airframe.

The higher the drag: advantage 5.5X4.5

The lower the drag: advantage 5X5

--------

A certain tester used to test up to 30-35A on 3S-4S and "within" manufacturer "limits", I hope he has upped his game in last few years.
I think I saw some 50-60A tests while back.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old May 23, 2012, 06:54 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Which prop is faster depends a lot on the airframe.

The higher the drag: advantage 5.5X4.5

The lower the drag: advantage 5X5

--------

A certain tester used to test up to 30-35A on 3S-4S and "within" manufacturer "limits", I hope he has upped his game in last few years.
I think I saw some 50-60A tests while back.

Gryphon
+1...On my Projeti it applies...its faster on 5x5........Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old May 23, 2012, 07:05 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,470 Posts
There is also graupner 5.2x5.2
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old May 23, 2012, 09:52 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,720 Posts
I'll look and see if i got one of those.....BTW....Benn workin on the Ultra....I went with Black on the ailerons as well as the fins....waiting on my Green Zagi tape to be shipped...I think you'll like the look Rim!!!!....Billy..
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Last edited by FlyBillyFly; May 24, 2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Tape arrived today....
Old May 25, 2012, 11:37 AM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,803 Posts
I think my FunJet Ultra is too heavy, my motor weighs 369g!

Is there a point where the FJU is too heavy to launch, I hope to run 6s so how has every one coped so far?
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old May 25, 2012, 11:40 AM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBillyFly View Post
I'll look and see if i got one of those.....BTW....Benn workin on the Ultra....I went with Black on the ailerons as well as the fins....waiting on my Green Zagi tape to be shipped...I think you'll like the look Rim!!!!....Billy..
So did you just basically make a skin of tape over the airframe?
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
Old May 25, 2012, 12:22 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilit run? 353 View Post

Is there a point where the FJU is too heavy to launch, I hope to run 6s so how has every one coped so far?
'
well it depens on how strong you are and how hard you can throw, maybee you need a bit of luck also... Mine did torque to death on a 155gram motor and 5s lipo, and I can throw hard and stright, didnt help..

Its like playing roulette ,, I wouldnt want a Ultra with a 369 gram motor on 6s and hand trow it.. but heck, try it, maybee you are lucky... I was lucky the first 3 times, then I couldnt throw it ,,, I tried 10 times before the airframe gave up..

My 4s funjet with a 120 gram motor is soooooo easy to throw..
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old May 25, 2012, 01:08 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
If itís too heavy, and you are not comfortable hand launching, build a PVC launcher.

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old May 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,470 Posts
Quote:

What's your AUW?
369g inrunner is going to make you good power,I would just vertical launch it.
What size 6s are you packin?
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old May 25, 2012, 01:59 PM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:

Mine is 3 lb 3 oz , thinking 1400-1500 grams, its a load but other then a little torque roll and hot landings its fine, never a bad launch.
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62