HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 09:07 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Looks pretty cool. Can't wait to hear how it flies and takes off. What gear are you using? Any pics of the bottom?
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 10:30 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,930 Posts
Lots of drag!!!!
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old May 13, 2012, 11:44 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
Lots of drag!!!!
im hoping for the better, if it causes to much i will take them off .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Last edited by THESANDMAN; May 13, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:51 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
Looks pretty cool. Can't wait to hear how it flies and takes off. What gear are you using? Any pics of the bottom?
some part bins landing gear from an pattern plane that took a dirt nap last year,lol
the plane was an old NSP 55 inch ws plane called "the accord" . the plane is no longer made. it was like 5-6 years old. so i cant really say who makes the landing gear. i will post pics and a video this weekend. im sure it will fly but im hoping it will fly smoothly . if not i will take them off and make it a handlauncher
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old May 14, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,438 Posts
Progress? Thought I'd finally get to fly my heavy Ultra today -

Static numbers: 2648W 140A on a APC 6x10
Just what I wanted!

But...There was a pretty stiff breeze of about 20mph + gusts and, even being carefull to align the bungee w/the wind, the wind started shifting to the right. Add to that a bit of left lean on the launcher (need to start checking that! ) and it came off rolling left before it even hit the end of the ramp so - aborted flight.

Maybe tomorrow! I'm expecting some decent speed (my friend's expecting some instant insulation as it explodes) with this setup.

It will be filmed so hopefully will have something for ya'll

ciao,
Mike
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old May 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,484 Posts
It will not explode with 2600 watts...

A 6x10??got a pick of it?
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Last edited by rimripper; May 14, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:10 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,643 Posts
Quote:
Rim,

Let's put it this way, I can't remember the last time I puckered, be it in my Mustang or on my four wheeler that will push 90 mph. The problem isn't so much the plane as where I can/do fly at. Any time I send up a plane, the Amish all end up gathering at some point to watch, and they sit in their fields or ride to the house and come up and try to talk to you while you're flying because they don't understand the concentration or effort it takes to safely fly one of these. The close call came on landing. It's just too much for where I have the ability to fly at. I LOVE the setup and the plane, to be honest, I just don't feel safe flying it where I can fly it.

With all that being said, this thing is awesome to watch it rip up the sky when you goose the throttle!
Sorry to see you give up on your Funjet. From what you describe, it sounds like you almost hit someone on landing.

I fly at a soccerfield where people tend to come up to me too. I've had a few close calls of kids running up to my plane as I was landing it. Never hit anyone but came close a couple times.

Later I found a better field for my fast planes. It's another public park but it's not well known so most of the time it's wide open (and bigger than the soccer park). I still fly at the soccer park with my slower planes because it's closer to my house.

I'm still at 3s with my HET 2w25 because it still unnerves me flying at 120 mph. Someday I hope to get better enough to be comfortable with it and step up but I'm still stuck at this level after flying this setup for about a year now.

I have a Great Planes Rifle too. That thing scares the crap out of me. I don't fly it very often. It's so small and easy to lose track of in the sky. Even a partly cloudy sky can make it hard to see.

So I can relate to how you feel. Take care and good luck. Hopefully you be back.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old May 14, 2012, 11:27 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
Sorry to see you give up on your Funjet. From what you describe, it sounds like you almost hit someone on landing.

I fly at a soccerfield where people tend to come up to me too. I've had a few close calls of kids running up to my plane as I was landing it. Never hit anyone but came close a couple times.

Later I found a better field for my fast planes. It's another public park but it's not well known so most of the time it's wide open (and bigger than the soccer park). I still fly at the soccer park with my slower planes because it's closer to my house.

I'm still at 3s with my HET 2w25 because it still unnerves me flying at 120 mph. Someday I hope to get better enough to be comfortable with it and step up but I'm still stuck at this level after flying this setup for about a year now.

I have a Great Planes Rifle too. That thing scares the crap out of me. I don't fly it very often. It's so small and easy to lose track of in the sky. Even a partly cloudy sky can make it hard to see.

So I can relate to how you feel. Take care and good luck. Hopefully you be back.
I have mine painted hot pink and from time to time I'll still lose sight of it. I think it's a bad ass airframe and couldn't be happier with the power setup I have in it, it's just not worth it to me to blast someone with it because they want to watch, or to blast a horse with it on landing (those are expensive hahahaha!) I'll keep monitoring this thread though. I've made several friends in here and I learn a lot just from reading.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:47 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Runn,
Why not just tame it down a little ?
Is it very heavy ?
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old May 15, 2012, 08:49 AM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
I don't really think it's all that un-tame to be honest with you. Flies great, nice and fast, no really bad characteristics. I just don't have the uninhibited space to fly it in. Plus, I didn't buy the awesome setup and this airframe to have something tame. I have a little Phase 3 EF-16 EDF to fly around tamely (80 mph tops!) and bought the FJU to get more speed. Flying it tamely is like giving me a Ferrari and asking me to go the speed limit on the highway.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:14 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,064 Posts
I bit the bullet last week and ordered me a FJU. Tower had a free shipping sale... I had keyed in my CC info and hovered over the "Pay Now" link but I chickened out twice. I then found out that I could get free shipping as well as $20 off my order so I resisted no more. I ordered the FJU, two servos, and an ICE 75 ESC. I also sold a foamie backyard airplane to a friend to raise the funds for a HET 2W-25 and that's on the way too. I'm the kind of person that likes to have everything I need to complete a build at one time... I don't like buying pieces for a project over time. I'm too impatient.

Anyway, it will all be here this week. I'm sure it's going to be a fast build so I should have it airborne this weekend. Should be fun ripping this little foamie around our club field at 120...
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old May 15, 2012, 10:30 AM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I bit the bullet last week and ordered me a FJU. Tower had a free shipping sale... I had keyed in my CC info and hovered over the "Pay Now" link but I chickened out twice. I then found out that I could get free shipping as well as $20 off my order so I resisted no more. I ordered the FJU, two servos, and an ICE 75 ESC. I also sold a foamie backyard airplane to a friend to raise the funds for a HET 2W-25 and that's on the way too. I'm the kind of person that likes to have everything I need to complete a build at one time... I don't like buying pieces for a project over time. I'm too impatient.

Anyway, it will all be here this week. I'm sure it's going to be a fast build so I should have it airborne this weekend. Should be fun ripping this little foamie around our club field at 120...
You're about a week early, Mike. I could've sold you my power system and you would've had it all in one time, quicker, and ready to bolt in and go!
Old May 15, 2012, 01:50 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
I know how you feel on the lack of space to fly your FJU Runnikee, sorry you can't come up with a solution. The local park I use is tight, but I'm guessing that I don't get the attention that you are when flying, and most people tend to keep their distance until I've landed (obvious pun about 'if you've seen me fly you'd know why they keep their distance'...), except for the kids.

I also try and educate anyone that does approach me about the dangers of wandering over to me while I'm flying, not sure if it helps, but I think it can't do any harm either.

I enjoy my 3s setup, it's not too fast, but it's fast enough for the park. If you've got a suitable 3s battery (or use 2 smaller batts in parallel), why not give it a go before you sell? But it is about enjoying what you fly, so I get why you're thinking of selling.

Happy landings.....
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old May 16, 2012, 10:54 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,064 Posts
Quote:
You're about a week early, Mike. I could've sold you my power system and you would've had it all in one time, quicker, and ready to bolt in and go!
Doh!

I did some work on the FJU last night. This is why I love Elapor... a little kicker on one side, CA on the other, and done. I installed the servo horns and the servos, and I'm hoping to glue the wings in tonight.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old May 16, 2012, 11:06 AM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,930 Posts
Had a e-flite v-15 motor in my ultra. It's toast! Guy's give me some replacement idea's, maybe around $50-100.00 . 4s and around 1000-1500 watts. Lee
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap