Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:29 AM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
Even on 3s?
My experience....I used one on 4s with no issues, your only driving 2 micro servos. Now if your pushing the limits currentwise it may be a good idea, but if it was me, 70amps static or less I wouldnt consider it, but I have had no troubles with the one I had, and I can recall several that I used on 3s and never had trouble with either. I think they recomend a BEC with 4s and above, depends alot on airlow. My opinion only.
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:02 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,864 Posts
Ultra is repaired, easy with ca. Now what will stick for cosmetic purposes??? Very fine crack showing. Lee
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:51 PM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,794 Posts
Is there much of a pitch change when throttling up on the Funjet Ultra??
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:55 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,983 Posts
When you have the thrust angle adjusted perfectly, there shouldnt be any pitch changes with throttle input
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
When you have the thrust angle adjusted perfectly, there shouldnt be any pitch changes with throttle input
I hate to assume so I thought I would ask even if it sounds silly. If you have flown a FJU with another motor and thrust angle was perfect, would it likely be perfect as well with another power setup on it if you have not moved the thrust adjustment screw at all from the previous setup?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:44 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,339 Posts
Well,flight went perfect,had to do minor trim but got thrust angle perfect the 1st time,it never rose nor sank at different throttle settings....
The bad.....batteries were dropping voltage pretty fast,The FJU couldnt get out of its own way....I flew it 3 times and each flight dropped down to LVC faster each time,last flight was barely 1 minute after a full charge and it kicked in.I ordered new batteries,so it will just have to sit n wait till they come in next week.I am lucky if it hit 120 mph 1st flight,knew something was wrong but oh well.It does fly great and lands easy,I just need it to fly faster....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqPoiLUBBik
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:45 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
What brand of batts were you using?
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:04 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,339 Posts
2Dogs RC,I have been running them near there max amp draw all summer,they held up good,never got hot,not even after last flight,they were just warm,but a little puffy.Data logger showed 20.1 volts on last flight after about 1 minute of flying.May have been losing a cell I suppose,no biggie though,they served me well....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
What was the capacity and current rating for the pack, and what kinda current was it running at fh64 ?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,339 Posts
2600 3s x2 to make up a 6s pack. 35c,good for a tad over 90 amps,I was under that,but not by much.Batteries always impressed me,never even in summer did they get hot,always just warm.I have them in quite a few of my planes,this is 1st time I have had a problem with them,others still going strong,I will stick with them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:31 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoshoe62 View Post
I hate to assume so I thought I would ask even if it sounds silly. If you have flown a FJU with another motor and thrust angle was perfect, would it likely be perfect as well with another power setup on it if you have not moved the thrust adjustment screw at all from the previous setup?
Depends on the weight of the new setup.

If you swap out a MEGA 16-25-1.5s on 4s2700(65/130)
and put in a MEGA 16-25-3 on 6s2700(65/130)
Then you should be ok

If you swap out a MEGA 16-25-1.5s on 4s2700(65/130)
and put in a MEGA 22-50-1e on 9s2700(65/130)
Then you will need to adjust your thrust angle just a little bit
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:45 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
Well,flight went perfect,had to do minor trim but got thrust angle perfect the 1st time,it never rose nor sank at different throttle settings....
The bad.....batteries were dropping voltage pretty fast,The FJU couldnt get out of its own way....I flew it 3 times and each flight dropped down to LVC faster each time,last flight was barely 1 minute after a full charge and it kicked in.I ordered new batteries,so it will just have to sit n wait till they come in next week.I am lucky if it hit 120 mph 1st flight,knew something was wrong but oh well.It does fly great and lands easy,I just need it to fly faster....
Nice,, great launch, this is the way to do it..

Please, what setup, motor, prop ?
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:24 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,339 Posts
I have the Rocket motor,with a 6x4 sport APC,Ice 100 and CC BEC,HS65mg servos.Had this setup in my DiamondDust and it was in the 140s but near top speed,plane always started to roll to the right(not torque side)so I always had to input left ailerons,but never liked that as it got mushy and on verge of no control.My regular FJ has a ARC in it and does 156mph,so I need to get this one faster....Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:03 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoshoe62 View Post
Hey Mopar, Just curious, do you what causes the voltage ripple to peak at the beginning and the end of the logged flight you posted? I know what ripple is but not sure why it peaks in the beginning and the end.
Also, if you have a bent fuse...I see your turtle deck was not glued on..how do you attatch it, I was thinking it had to be CA'd to add additional fuse strength?
I missed this .............. sorry !!

The ripple is caused by the ESC switching at part throttle, then when the throttle is moved, the FET's go into overdrive while switching off less and less untill full throttle is achieved. I could easily reduce the ripple during throttle movements by increasing throttle response through the Castle programming.

The fuse strength comes from additional re-enforcements (see link below). The bent fuse came from an elevon ripping off mid-flight, then gravity took over.

Post #630 starts the build
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1164182&page=7

or

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...164182&page=42
Last edited by moparmyway; Jan 16, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:11 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
So this is the video that you thought you only got 120 mph?

I did some doppler runs on it. I was getting between 150 and 161 mph!! 150 in one direction and 161 in the other. so I guess that averages 155.5 mph. Not bad for batteries that are going bad.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher