HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:32 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanekid333 View Post
My esc is holding up great, right after landing its pretty warm but not hot enough to burn my finger.
I practically rebuilt the whole back end of this plane, i tore out the weak foam hinges and used CA hinges and they work great. I am using my special technique using piano wire, thin carbon fiber spars, and fly fishing thread to make high strength push rods. Some sheets of ply wood to protect the servo's.
I am sorry i dont have any data whatsoever, just a friend of mine brought his camera and set it on the ground for doppler and texted me with the results.

Happy new years guys! cheers
Shelby
Great news with that ESC !!!
Is there any chance that you could post some pictures of your inproovements, your layout, and your very best close-ups of what you feel are "vital details" for making your mods a success. I would love to see some handywork !!

If you ever get a video that could be uploaded, I will doppler it for ya, just tell me the temps and fly opposing passes (180 deg, exact opposite direction) without diving and then we will have a great guide to tell you how many RPM in the air and your average fastest 2 way speed (which will negate any winds).

Enjoy it for your New Year and show us some flights !!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 01:46 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Mo, 165mph on that setup? Hmmmmmmmmm.
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jan 01, 2012, 06:25 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
I would like to think that everyone here is sincere enough to speak the truth

I could see lots of 135mph "straight and level" setups run in the 160's with a dive and some windy weather. We dont really know unless we see the video and possibly get a glimpse of some in-flight data.
Maybe he got a radar of 165 out of a dive with the wind .......... or maybe he has a butt kickin FJU that can really moove 165mph straight and level from opposite directions........, I just want all of his details, inflight data, and some video to doppler !!!
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:43 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,827 Posts
Since the post on last page said "dead level" , I'm just assuming that there was a dive before leveling out.

We will soon see.
It takes a lot of power to get to real 165 MPH "averaged both directions" without dive.
(Averaging the speed from both directions cancels out wind effects: Usually tail wind )

Many of the recent posts don't show cell count, I assume 6S. It was most likely mentioned before but I just cannot remember.

I wish you all a happy new year,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:23 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
We dont really know unless we see the video and possibly get a glimpse of some in-flight data.
Maybe he got a radar of 165 out of a dive with the wind ..........
He specifically said that he used a camera and then sent the video to a friend to get it dopplered and the results were then texted back to him. So he was not using a radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Many of the recent posts don't show cell count, I assume 6S. It was most likely mentioned before but I just cannot remember.
It has been mentioned over and over many times what battery hes using. To be specific, it's a Blue Lipo from Heli Parts 6s 2200 30C.

Happy New Year to everyone!
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Jan 02, 2012, 08:58 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator View Post
He specifically said that he used a camera and then sent the video to a friend to get it dopplered and the results were then texted back to him. So he was not using a radar.
OK, then, I stand corrected ..........

I would like to think that everyone here is sincere enough to speak the truth

I could see lots of 135mph "straight and level" setups run in the 160's with a dive and some windy weather. We dont really know unless we see the video and possibly get a glimpse of some in-flight data.
Maybe he got a doppler of 165 out of a dive with the wind .......... or maybe he has a butt kickin FJU that can really moove 165mph straight and level from opposite directions........, I just want all of his details, inflight data, and some video to doppler !!!
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:51 AM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
As the saying goes "Their is allways someone gonna be faster" How ever he obtained 165mph its fricken fast
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:35 PM
"Every boy has a dream to fly"
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
Moparmyway, my friend may be wrong about my FJU going 165mph, but i will get a video posted tomorrow of two flat flybys, in opposite directions. Very windy yesterday and today.
Airplanekid333 is offline Find More Posts by Airplanekid333
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:42 PM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Hey Airplanekid. My sister is driving out to Cali tomorrow AM, hows the weather look in your area the next few days....sorry for the breif off topic
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:10 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
the roads arent bad, if she is taking the I-70 death corridor, she is lucky to be leaving tomorrow because the weather is in the high 50's and there will be no snow/ice on the highways.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 05:26 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Moparmyway, my friend may be wrong about my FJU going 165mph, but i will get a video posted tomorrow of two flat flybys, in opposite directions. Very windy yesterday and today.
OK, no sweat kid.
Whatever she runs, however fast or slow she ends up being, I just have 1 question to ask you ............... more of a favor.

Post up whatever video you can get. I dont mind the ones that have a stationary camera on a tripod with lots of sky to view. So long as the FJU is over that camera, 50 feet or less in height directely above it would also be great !! Give me the temperature, and I will do my best to grab the RPM, & the fastest opposite directions averages. You will have the speed it would go, negating tailwinds. Doppler can point to a dive very easily, and so does any on board flight data like ICE esc's or Eagletree inflight data recorders. Be honest about your pass, how you flew it and you will have your speed. It is a 7x6 prop, right ? APC abd balanced, correct ?? Ready for the favor ?
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:06 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
651 Posts
Quote:
It is a 7x6 prop, right ? APC abd balanced, correct ??
This is the exact prop he said hes using: 7x6 Prop
He said he balanced it perfectly.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:23 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator View Post
This is the exact prop he said hes using: 7x6 Prop
He said he balanced it perfectly.
Thats funny, I thought he said Sport prop ............. NOT E-prop

Quote:
I am running a APC 7x6 sport prop from hobbyking,

APC 7x6 perfectly balanced, turnigy 3648 (works great for 25 bucks) Blue lipo 2200 30c from hobbypartz (that i got on black friday for 20bucks) and my esc is the 90-100amp from hobbyking with a 5a BEC. I don't know the amp draw.
OH yeah, ...................... He did say Sport prop
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:47 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
Sorry my mistake... its the APC style propeller 7x6-E
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:20 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
651 Posts
Quote:
Thats funny, I thought he said Sport prop ............. NOT E-prop

OH yeah, ...................... He did say Sport prop
Quote:
Sorry my mistake... its the APC style propeller 7x6-E
I knew those were the words he used, but I also knew he was actually talking about the prop I linked to since it's the only one that HK sells as an APC (style).