Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:19 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
I think its the throw, I rountinely throw 5 pound Strykers straight up, and I throw my FJU the same way. It doesnt matter if there is any wind or not, I get torque roll every time. I also run my CG just a hair nose heavy, less twitchy in the air this way for me.

I allways suggest a slight rearward CG to alleviate torque roll, but I dont find it necessary to do so for myself cause I can throw it pretty good straight up.
It is important to stress to those who are looking for a good method of launching a Funjet, that it will torque roll no matter what if you throw it straight up.

Although this is the launching method I use and suggest, I have seen newbies freak out at the torque roll at launch. Its a Much more dramatic torque than throwing at say a 25 degree angle.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:40 PM
"Every boy has a dream to fly"
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
my torque roll
Multiplex funjet ultra (0 min 53 sec)
Airplanekid333 is offline Find More Posts by Airplanekid333
Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:13 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
Great throw !!
The torque roll is just a part of a higher powered FJU.
Looks like you have it nailed down very well, dont change your launch technique, just keep doing what works well and get more practice with the rolls so you can roll with it, or roll away, or even stay inverted and really "WOW" the audience.

Your camera Dude needs way more practice with the camera than you do with your launches !!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:51 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
I have about 4 flight on my FJU now. I am having a hard time landing and thanks to snow for softening up my hard impacts.
My mom was taking it with her Iphone, and I'm sorry she is pretty bad.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:38 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
Sorry 'bout that. I guess for your Mom to be standing out there in the freezing snow with an I-phone trying to video you launching and flying your FJU, its a pretty darn good video.

As far as landing, what transmitter are you using ?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:17 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
Spectrum dx6i, exactly what i need for this application
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:57 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
you need to figure out where your 1:1 thrust point is. Mine is a little over half throttle. If i toss just like you, mine climbs slower but does not torque roll at all. The more throttle you give it past 1:1 the more its going to TR on you guaranteed. Try holding it by the nose and see at what point it wants to push its weight vertical. Add a tiny bit more and thats your launch speed. Same follow through as your doing but I bet you see less torque roll. Mopar and others suggested that ant it works like a charm. If i go 3/4 or more, it rolls on its back and goes in nose first.

Lastly, it looks like your hitting the throttle just as its leaving his hand??? That will induce more T.R. Get the speed up to a tiny bit past 1:1 first then rear back and throw. if your holding the plane with throttle level set, you minimize the T.R. by stabilizing the wing. With a small wingspan and small prop with hi pitch, let alone the 30k rpm, its a T.R. disaster. In your video your nailing it as its leaving his hand. When you do that the counter torque isnt being stabilized as it would if you got it to speed while you hold it, then throw. Try it and let us know. And please dont EVER let your mom near that camera again. : )
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Last edited by hidaven; Dec 27, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:27 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
It is just simple physics (Newton's laws of motion in this case): Every action is accompanied by a reaction of equal magnitude but opposite direction.

It is therefore not a function of power, but torque. Power is linear to Torque x rpm. If you run a small prop at high rpm, your torque is much less than when you use a bigger prop at lower rpm.

You can't counteract the torque reaction until you have adequate airspeed. Throwing your FJ into a fairly strong headwind will give you elevon authority almost instantly. If there is no wind, you need to throw it harder and/or steeper.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:51 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanekid333 View Post
Spectrum dx6i, exactly what i need for this application
Then try to use your flap switch with flaps enabled through the DX6i programming.

Page 68 has the steps outlined for you to follow and try out. Give her a go !!!

When you use flaps for landing, it relieves you of the elevator input needed and gives a nose up attitude so you wont need to bury the right stick at the bottom, or if you are running a very heavy FJU, you have run out of elevator on the right stick already, this will give you the extra travel you will need to slow down some more so you wont cartwheel or skip and bounce all overon your landings, usually causing nose and wing damage.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:26 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
thanks moparmyway! it helped! smooth landings now.
buddy of my doppler-ed my fun jet today, 165mph on a dead flat flyby. I'm pretty impressed.
I am probably the youngest pilot here so i like to pull 10g turns, high speed barrel rolls, and do a slow fly by then rocket it going straight up till its out of sight. I love my FJU! my flight time is about 3:30 on 2200mah
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:26 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
651 Posts
Quote:
buddy of my doppler-ed my fun jet today, 165mph on a dead flat flyby. I'm pretty impressed.
I am probably the youngest pilot here so i like to pull 10g turns, high speed barrel rolls, and do a slow fly by then rocket it going straight up till its out of sight. I love my FJU! my flight time is about 3:30 on 2200mah
What prop are you running on that setup? I can't believe you managed to get 165mph with 2200mah 30C batteries
To get 165mph, you must be pulling at least 80-90amps, and 2200 30C batteries are only meant to handle 66amps. That's crazy! Good job.
Be careful you don't kill the batteries though.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:46 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,773 Posts
xxxcellarator , Im pulling over 100amps in my Ultra with my poor 2200mah 5s lipos, hehe.. The poor Flightmax 45C hold up thow..

Airplanekid333 , would be interesting what setup you have: propp, motor, lipo, ampdraw ?

I think im in the same range of speed as you, maybee a few miles more , dont know yet..
Im running 36mm Typhoon motor 3000kv with a 5.5x4.3 Graupner speed propp and 5s lipos, 1800 watts with cheep packs..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:02 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Anytime Dude !!
How is your ESC holding up - temp wise ?
Did you do anything to re-enforce or upgrade your elevons ?
Any chance that you can get an ICE 100 in there for some inflight data ?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:17 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
xxxcellarator , Im pulling over 100amps in my Ultra with my poor 2200mah 5s lipos, hehe.. The poor Flightmax 45C hold up thow..
Sebbe, your batteries are WORLDS apart from airplanekid's. 2200 45C batteries are suppose to handle 100 amps and more with ease. So it's no surprise they are holding up just fine.
But he's gotta be pulling close to the same amps as you with only 30C batteries (which are only good to about 70amps).
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:37 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
What prop are you running on that setup? I can't believe you managed to get 165mph with 2200mah 30C batteries
To get 165mph, you must be pulling at least 80-90amps, and 2200 30C batteries are only meant to handle 66amps. That's crazy! Good job.
Be careful you don't kill the batteries though.

I am running a APC 7x6 sport prop from hobbyking, and unfortunately I may be hurting the battery too much, and I got to be careful with it. Lipo batteries are anything to mess around with. I will order some turnigy nano high C rating packs soon.

Airplanekid333 , would be interesting what setup you have: propp, motor, lipo, ampdraw ?

APC 7x6 perfectly balanced, turnigy 3648 (works great for 25 bucks) Blue lipo 2200 30c from hobbypartz (that i got on black friday for 20bucks) and my esc is the 90-100amp from hobbyking with a 5a BEC. I don't know the amp draw.

Anytime Dude !!
How is your ESC holding up - temp wise ?
Did you do anything to re-enforce or upgrade your elevons ?
Any chance that you can get an ICE 100 in there for some inflight data?

My esc is holding up great, right after landing its pretty warm but not hot enough to burn my finger.
I practically rebuilt the whole back end of this plane, i tore out the weak foam hinges and used CA hinges and they work great. I am using my special technique using piano wire, thin carbon fiber spars, and fly fishing thread to make high strength push rods. Some sheets of ply wood to protect the servo's.
I am sorry i dont have any data whatsoever, just a friend of mine brought his camera and set it on the ground for doppler and texted me with the results.

Happy new years guys! cheers
Shelby